Ultra Rare Modern

Simon M

Richard Marks / Innocent bystander (Free Spirit)******

Yep i do like this guy .. I like mellow and sweet ( 2006 has been a great year for mellow CD releases) .. Tyrone Thomas what a great record Graham Ellis reavtivated it at an early southport weekender ( Sam Dee's was there listening ) :thumbsup:

I think Ive got some Brotherhood stuff !! .. Just played that Joe Coleman on M&E .. what a dancer well nice !! Holidays are great :wicked:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

• Replies 305
  • Views 31.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

This mans got some modern !!

DJ : Hitoshi Takasawa playlist

11. Touch of Class / Caring and sharing (Manguary) '80

12. Ecstasy / If I could only (Star Charts) '80

13. Ex-Ta-C / If I could only (OK & T) '80

What's the Touch of Class like? And is it the same group as Midland International?

"If I could only" is the ballad flip to "Squeeze" which I posted. Exactly the same version on both releases. I hope people enjoyed hearing the same song twice. :thumbsup::wicked:

Social source share

What's the Touch of Class like? And is it the same group as Midland International?

"If I could only" is the ballad flip to "Squeeze" which I posted. Exactly the same version on both releases. I hope people enjoyed hearing the same song twice. :thumbsup::wicked:

Dont know what thats like too Karl .. Hes the main man Hitoshi (John A , and Mike Ward metioned him in 1984 ) , perhaps if Tad comes back to the forum he can help ..

Social source share

Just thought of another one!

Rideout - Spend some time - Hotlicks

Monster Modern dancer similar to 'Daybreak - I need love'

Opinions please folks?

Cheers

Steve

Ive heard a few people say yeah Ive got it .. ..but Ive never seen one ,although I think I passed one by on ebay a few years ago ..btw anyone know what Clarence Washington on Le tec's like very electronic or not

Social source share

A few mates have picked these up at London record fairs :rolleyes:

I believe John Manship had a smaller quantity of the Record Player 45 and that is was quite get-able at the time. Not sure about Gold, only seen one copy for sale (eBay) but seen on a few playlists as well.

Social source share

I believe John Manship had a smaller quantity of the Record Player 45 and that is was quite get-able at the time. Not sure about Gold, only seen one copy for sale (eBay) but seen on a few playlists as well.

Yep I think Manship ha em first Clarkie has had a few too .. BTW a Mate picked up Memphis "Somthing inside" at a london record fair :rolleyes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Yep I think Manship ha em first .. BTW a Mate picked up Memphis "Somthing inside" at a london record fair :rolleyes:

"Inside my love" on West Coast you mean? Sincerely rare and great two step 45! Couldn't be more than 15-20 copies of that one and 9th Creation "Mellow music"?

Social source share

Yeah thats it ..Ive not got them , but as we know the infamous Gary Lee has .

I got both as well. :rolleyes:

Bought Memphis only this year for £500 from Voxpop in Manchester after turning one down for £2000. Rare two step could be another thread, a couple on Hitoshi's playlist will fit right in.

Social source share

i believe the record player was turned up by mike ward to my knowledge about 20-30 copies ...the rideout has been quite a few times on ebay for btwn 100-200 dollars...so nobody knows of exquisites on crow i heard rod dearlove play it at the legendary thorne...excellent record...also speaking of ultra rare modern how about some of the budweiser 12"s 1. after five 2. hotliners 3. sir prize

quite an impressive list from our japanese list...........

cant help on black clouds of thunder only heard of it..fast uptempo soul funk from memory....

Social source share

Another point that seems relevant to this thread, is the interest and excellent knowledge from Scandinavia.. Karl and Chris and others ( They definitely have more hunger for 80's Modern soul than the UK at the moment ) Alas Tad was not around from Japan ..I think hes busy on their own forums ?

Keep it up Chaps

Simon :rolleyes:

Social source share

Another point that seems relevant to this thread, is the interest and excellent knowledge from Scandinavia.. Karl and Chris and others ( They definitely have more hunger for 80's Modern soul than the UK at the moment ) Alas Tad was not around from Japan ..I think hes busy on their own forums ?

Keep it up Chaps

Simon :rolleyes:

Agree Simon.

I guess those Boys don't have the 35+ years of 'Baggage' that the Soul Music 'Scene' has to contend with in the UK.

Sean

Social source share

Agree Simon.

I guess those Boys don't have the 35+ years of 'Baggage' that the Soul Music 'Scene' has to contend with in the UK.

Sean

Yeah thats right ..all the politics about Modern Soul etc etc and 60's mafia etc etc ,but maybe they will get it all in the next 5 years or so !? Hopefully not :rolleyes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Anybody know anything about Nobodies Children - Shardarp on Toeholt. I only know of 3 copies, mine, 1 in Japan and 1 in Canada. also Wanda McDaniels and the Ultimate Truth - Gangster Boy on Appleray seems to be pretty elusive.

Jordi

Been after the Nobodies Children for a while. Wasn't it Kevin Laverty that had them..slightly off-centre pressings or something? I asked him if he had any more and he said he'd go back to the store and look....that was about a year back..never heard from him again :rolleyes:

Social source share

and insert RS did NOT have it at the time ! same as he didn't "first play" Paul Thompson on Stax around 1990 as Kev Roberts states in his book. Try Poke around 8 years earlier.

And yes, Poke. What incredible taste he had. :thumbsup:

I think Sam played Paul Thompson as a new release when he was DJing in Wrexham. He told me he got it from Record Corner in Balham when it first came out. :sleep3:

Paul Thompson was a new release in 1970, that's interesting to hear Sam was playing it around 12 years before I first heard it played out by Poke

From a tape I recorded of Poke at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens circa 82/83

Lester Tolkin - special kind of loving

can you remember these c/u's too?

Eddie Richards & the Three Way Split - don't make ladies

Tony Raymonds - we're gonna make it

Jacki Jacobs - don't make you feel funky

Notables - midnight seranade (an instr.)

Johnny 'guitar' Watson - because I love you

Johnny Pearson - i will stay with you forever

Social source share

Yeah Simon, before he was into northern per se he had a residency at a club in Wrexham, playing soul and motown and reggae several times a week. When you see him ask him about the time Peter powell came along and asked him to play some "Quo".

They just keep coming Barbara Stant.....we haven't mentioined her yet.

Social source share

Eddie Richards & the Three Way Split - don't make ladies ** Horizon

Tony Raymonds - we're gonna make it *** Hugh Boyton

I think Cunnie can do the rest

Where you been Simon ...you got that Sonic Hedgehog yet ? :thumbsup:

Don't know if it it's just me, but records are like the perverbial bus; waited years, no decades, for stuff, then

Fred & turbines - Bernadine

Eric Mercury - Lonely girl

Limelights- Don't leave me

came through in 7 days, gospel truth!

Social source share

Also Dave Raistrick has a 70's 80's weekender coming up ...No Flyer or Jpeg yet ..but Im pretty sure Soul Sams on :thumbsup:

Rock City Reunited I hope ...

Anyone else weigh at least half as much again since last attending Rock City (including hair)? Happy days! If it happens, we'll have to drag Nige Parker out of retirement.

Social source share

Anyone else weigh at least half as much again since last attending Rock City (including hair)? Happy days! If it happens, we'll have to drag Nige Parker out of retirement.

Well there's been a lot of hair loss since those Funky Modern nights in Nottingham ( Robin, Adam , Duncan, me ) and Rays gone silver ..Its at Skegness , and it looks like its on November 2007 :sleep3: Im sure Nige can make that

Hey we could ger Graham Ellis out too :thumbsup: ..

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Freedom - High on you FREEDOM

less than 5??? unsure.gif

:sleep3:

I had two of these, still have one and the other one went to Tadachika, and know of 4 more so there are at least six. :thumbsup::ohmy:

I've seen three copies of Sweet James Epps on eBay alone but a dead rare one for sure!

Also Steve G mentioned Leon Ware "Come be with me angel", what's the story of it being released on a Gordy demo 45?

Social source share

Well there's been a lot of hair loss since those Funky Modern nights in Nottingham ( Robin, Adam , Duncan, me ) and Rays gone silver ..Its at Skegness , and it looks like its on November 2007 :sleep3: Im sure Nige can make that

Hey we could ger Graham Ellis out too :thumbsup: ..

Good thread Simon,i saw Graham and had a chat with him at the last Lifeline weekender,

so he does get out now and again smile.gif

Also there can`t be to many copys of "John Donvan" on "Paradigm" about,i know someone on this thread has one,

there was one on Ebay last year but only two bidders on it me and Butch and i came second :ohmy:

Also isn`t there only one known copy of the "Cobra Heart Band"

Dave f...............

Social source share

Also there can`t be to many copys of "John Donvan" on "Paradigm" about,i know someone on this thread has one,

there was one on Ebay last year but only two bidders on it me and Butch and i came second sad.gif

Also isn`t there only one known copy of the "Cobra Heart Band"

Dave f..............

Hey forget my name please, Simon!? :sleep3:

I'm just a very young collector in Japanese scene. :thumbsup:

Dave, your talking about interesting records, any more info on them?

Social source share

I had two of these, still have one and the other one went to Tadachika, and know of 4 more so there are at least six. :thumbsup::ohmy:

I've seen three copies of Sweet James Epps on eBay alone but a dead rare one for sure!

Hey Kalle, don't break our promise keeping it secret, hehe... blush.gif

Regarding Sweet James Epps, I believe at least 5 copies in here "deep soul land" Japan. :sleep3:

Social source share

Don't know if they are rare at all, yet alone mega or ultra, but I've never seen for sale a couple I'm after

Essence of Love - share my love with you - k-city

Power of Atorney Band - Love for you - Star Island

Simon T, these're really my type of sound, that 2nd record of Essence Of Love is totally better than Yes It's You to my ears, still struggling to get it myself... anyone has it for me? :thumbsup:

Power Of Attorney's Love For You, 10 or more copies must be here in Japan. We RF members(U-Zaki, Slow and me) all got it and I dealt with some copies when I was making sales lists. Great mid 80s dancer at its best! :sleep3:

Social source share

Anybody know anything about Nobodies Children - Shardarp on Toeholt. I only know of 3 copies, mine, 1 in Japan and 1 in Canada. also Wanda McDaniels and the Ultimate Truth - Gangster Boy on Appleray seems to be pretty elusive.

Jordi

How's it going, Jordi?! Yeah great two records by your spin! Also Dave got that Gangster Boy? Killer crossover style midtempo anyway! Need it... want it... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I remeber Manship had Record Player for 30ukp on his list not so many years ago. But I believe it was big modern sound like today, fab stomper it is! :sleep3:

I first heard that Gold thanks to Wighty on Jazzman radio, just a great mover! It must be recent biggie, right? :thumbsup:

Social source share

I guess that Manguary group is different to famous Touch Of Class. Exellent sweet soul with superb harmonies, but it's not a modern, not even a dance soul.

Social source share

Tyrone Thomas "You're hardly gone" on Polydor - how often do you see this?

Great record, Steve! Was this played at the venues in 80s?! U-Zaki and I has it in our hands now. Got mine in early 90s for 100ukp probably. Still remember well that I was listening to it by Walkman in the train when going to the university... sweet memories on this song, haha... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Another rare one - Detroit group Perfect Touch on H.E.M.M. "Your love has got the power" - anybody know this? The group had some less rare 45's as well (on Morning Glory, Creative Profile and Celebrity) as well as an album.

Very nice record, sounds like moody dancer recorded in New Jersesy rather than Detroit!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!