Mike profile photo

Sporting Life...

Freebasing Mike

Posted

Well done spurs brilliant result and without kane but come on poch miracle that happened in 2016 mate.

• Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Been a Spurs fan all my life. 61 now! I have been to most of our significant games in the past. Watched this through my fingers last night here at home. Bloody hell I cant believe how this week has panned out. My phone nearly exploded after the game last night. One or two soul lads, mates home and abroad even my Liverpool supporting brother. Finally eldest son who is working in Frankfurt with a load of Ajax fans in a bar. Ringing me all the way through. BLOODY HELL. I need a lie down.   

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Not sure if this works , but if it doesn’t search “ kid runs on pitch Liverpool v Barcelona “ 

classic 

https://youtu.be/NAEmAeLP_OI

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Stevegods said:

Not sure if this works , but if it doesn’t search “ kid runs on pitch Liverpool v Barcelona “ 

classic 

https://youtu.be/NAEmAeLP_OI

Here you go Steve..there was a character missing from the YouTube video URL 

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Ahhh thanks for that mate .. nice one .. 

Also just seen the team line ups for tonight’s Chelsea v E Frankfurt ... 

Had to do a double take at the name of the manager .. 

1AA7106E-098B-4E87-BAD0-1DA04825B5B8.png

Edited by Stevegods
  • Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Anyone for Bacon & Eggs 

Full English 👍

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Four English teams in the finals...

How many English players?

How many English owners?

Let's not get carried away on this, football is a global business and I'm guessing the money involved and the little tax they pay on profit and wages plays a big part of why they are here.

Ed

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

I know what you mean ... 

Happens everywhere .

Bacon is from Denmark .. and Eggs from Germany .

But I eat it in England so it’s a Full English . 

574535AD-F575-4CD9-A11D-573DB521080A.png

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

How many English owners?

Let's not get carried away on this, football is a global business and I'm guessing the money involved and the little tax they pay on profit and wages plays a big part of why they are here.

Ed

Regardless, those two trophies are coming back to England.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Will mikatarian play in the final ?

soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

How many English owners?

Ed

Some of your points are valid but lets not tar every foreign owner with the same brush. Our owners are LOVED by fans and people of Leicestershire the money the late vichai put into the local childrens hospital and many other causes is well documented. Yes many/most foreign owners are greedy ours certainly are not.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

How many English owners?

Ed

There are enough English players involved in both finals to bugger up Gareth Southgate's attempt to secure the Nations League title for England.

Europa League Final in Baku on 29th May

Champions League Final in Madrid on 1st June

Nations League Semi Final in Portugal on 6th June

Nations League Final on 9th June 

soul source url
Guest Spain pete profile photo
Posted
10 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

How many English owners?

Ed

Don't matter a jot to the dedicated supporter of a football club who plays or who owns it  success is Paramount 

soul source url
Posted
11 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

How many English owners?

Ed

Yeah, I had to laugh when I looked at the BBC site this morning lauding the fact that 4 English clubs were in the 2 finals.  They had a photo of 1 player from each club in 4 quadrants; guess how many of them were English?  Oh the irony 😲

Not that I'm diminishing the achievement; it's never been done before, and I guess that the clubs wouldn't be anywhere near as successful without some of the better foreign players.

soul source url
Posted
31 minutes ago, Chilli said:

Yeah, I had to laugh when I looked at the BBC site this morning lauding the fact that 4 English clubs were in the 2 finals.  They had a photo of 1 player from each club in 4 quadrants; guess how many of them were English?  Oh the irony 😲

Not that I'm diminishing the achievement; it's never been done before, and I guess that the clubs wouldn't be anywhere near as successful without some of the better foreign players.

Its not an only English problem,  real Madrids achievements are largely due to a Portuguese Welshman and various others  , Barcelona Argentine Brazil etc.

soul source url
Posted
31 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Its not an only English problem,  real Madrids achievements are largely due to a Portuguese Welshman and various others  , Barcelona Argentine Brazil etc.

Oh I absolutely agree; we live in a global community and what has happened in English football has also happened across the globe and it won't ever go back to what it was like previously, and neither would I want it to.

Like yourself, I follow a team with a Thai owner who has brought us a modicum of success over the past four years in comparison to the previous 15 years in the doldrums and that has been achieved with players (and managers) of many nationalities. I was merely reacting to the usual 'nationalistic triumphalism' of some of our press who obviously didn't see the irony in the images they used to represent this.  

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Just off topic and not done by me but read this the other day ..

Sorry Steve , couldn’t resist bud 

EE1EC63D-3EC7-43A3-BE2E-F5A54B00A8E4.jpeg

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted
14 minutes ago, Stevegods said:

Love that analogy.  Those shirts should sell well on the South coast.

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Steve S 60 said:

sell well on the south coast of where ? ............galapogos islands perhaps, i would rather wear my grans wedding dress...........

soul source url
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Stevegods said:

How very dare you. 😁😁😁 mock at your peril. Those cock a knees can't reed so it's wasted on them. 🤣

Steve 

PS. Still the unprecedented treble and after birth of my Son the greatest night of my life that barmy night in Barcelona 26th May 1999. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)
On 09/05/2019 at 20:06, Stevegods said:

Had to do a double take at the name of the manager .. 

1AA7106E-098B-4E87-BAD0-1DA04825B5B8.png

Separated at birth?...

Dave bags the worst haircut winner's medal though...

MgnS9JA.jpg 

:)

R9uafZJ.jpg

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Hats off to City .

What a last day of the season ... twists and turns to the end and we where given a touch of false hope for a while but alas it was not to be 😢

Magnificent season and any other year 97pts would have been enough . 

Role on June 1st  

11EC30AA-3C04-4084-AEC9-EAC327FBD2C6.jpeg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Under the old rules Pool 67 points City 66 points.

Just saying...

However in reality Pool blew it after being all those points in front a few months ago.

Ed

soul source url
Posted

Liverpool, like my team Arsenal, just had to convert one of their draws into a win and the additional two points would have given them the title (and St. Totteringham Day for my club!)

soul source url
Posted
12 hours ago, Stevegods said:

Hats off to City .

Magnificent season and any other year 97pts would have been enough . 

11EC30AA-3C04-4084-AEC9-EAC327FBD2C6.jpeg

Yeah, congrats to a Man City on the title win and Liverpool have been absolutely magnificent all season.

Meanwhile,Man Utd lose at home in the last match of the campaign to the relegated team which sacked their manager..:P    

soul source url
Posted

Yeah, congrats to a Man City on the title win and Liverpool have been absolutely magnificent all season.

Meanwhile,Man Utd lose at home in the last match of the campaign to the relegated team which sacked their manager..    

I watched the game yesterday through my fingers at times. In the end we showed true champion quality and prevailed. Then I looked at the other scores. I didn't think winning back to back titles could get any better, but superOle and his bunch of misfiring misfits went and proved me wrong. Again. As before, if Carlsberg did football seasons............

CTID.

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
10 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Just saying...

However in reality Pool blew it after being all those points in front a few months ago.

Ed

Only three teams that where top of the league at Christmas have failed to win the title.  Guess who 🤣🤣🤣 everytime 

Steve 

soul source url
Posted

Just saying...

Under even older rules, there weren't even any crossbars, and no substitutes were allowed. You play the game according to the CURRENT rules. Credit to Liverpool, but City are deserved champions.

Just saying......

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

This so made me laugh. 🤣🤣🤣

30 years and counting. 

Biggest and longest learning curve in history 

Steve 

IMG-20190513-WA0000.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

They blew it at OT. United had two go off injured in the first half another at halftime, and Rashford hobbling about on one leg for all of the second half.

United were there for the taking but Klopp was more concerened about not losing that game than actually winning it and didn't attack half as much has they had in the rest of their away games, those two points dropped would have been the difference in the end.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
On 10/05/2019 at 13:56, Steve S 60 said:

South coast of the Manchester  ship canal 😄

What a rip off again by the Glazers and Woodward,  the monster marketing machine that is United 

Steve 

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Wonder who’ll be manager of Utd next season?, they’re in dickies meadow now , anyway enough of them , hats off to city , THE only team in Manchester playing great football, yes wished we’d have won the title of course , but at least we gave them a run for their money and was /is the only team capable of doing so . Let’s see what June 1st brings , maybe no 6 maybe not , but you gotta be in it to win it , hope it’s an entertaining final for the neutrals . Ps , as for blowing it , 7 draws , so all seven of them clubs could claim credit for that .

Edited by Colnago
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

F16E2AC3-9136-415A-9696-4C1AC467EC4C.jpeg

Edited by Stevegods
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

fa cup final today - anyone watch  it?

most one sided one I've seen for a fair old while, in fact struggling to recall one less uneven 

whats your take?

soul source url
Posted
24 minutes ago, Mike said:

fa cup final today - anyone watch  it?

most one sided one I've seen for a fair old while, in fact struggling to recall one less uneven 

whats your take?

City fan all my life, so yeah, I obviously watched it. Have to agree about it being completely one sided, at least after the fifteen minute mark. But, this City team have the capacity to do this to almost any team on earth when they're in the mood, so I wouldn't throw any muck at Watford. Records continue to tumble, and even though accusations of bias could be levelled at me, I really do think that this is the very finest football team England has ever seen. What they're doing is unprecedented. And it's probably also going to continue for quite some time. 

soul source url
Posted

Awesome performance, just a shame Watfords early chance when he was one on one with the keeper didnt go in, would have been interesting to see how Watford defended then.

soul source url
Posted
36 minutes ago, Joey said:

City fan all my life, so yeah, I obviously watched it. Have to agree about it being completely one sided, at least after the fifteen minute mark. But, this City team have the capacity to do this to almost any team on earth when they're in the mood, so I wouldn't throw any muck at Watford. Records continue to tumble, and even though accusations of bias could be levelled at me, I really do think that this is the very finest football team England has ever seen. What they're doing is unprecedented. And it's probably also going to continue for quite some time. 

Get real.  Unprecedented. Finest English team.   European trophies.  Forest, Villa have been more successful . 

soul source url
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Get real.  Unprecedented. Finest English team.   European trophies.  Forest, Villa have been more successful . 

Unprecedented is right. Number of points, number of goals, number of wins, never done before domestic treble. And all in what is the toughest league in the world. They are playing the finest football this island has ever witnessed. I've seen and watched some tremendous sides over the past sixty odd years, including your lot on at least one occasion, but this City team are streets ahead of what we've seen previously. Mind the gap! 🤣

Edited by Joey
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Forest, Villa have been more successful

so true, and without the foreign billioinaire dosh splashed

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

The fact remains whatever City 'wins' has no merit.

If the Shiek had pitched up at Stoke or West Brom that would have been them now and City would have still been bouncing around the Divisions!

• Up vote 2
  • Disagree 1

soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, chatty said:

The fact remains whatever City 'wins' has no merit.

If the Shiek had pitched up at Stoke or West Brom that would have been them now and City would have still been bouncing around the Divisions!

Tripe. Total tripe. Arse water of the highest order.  I suppose that if the Sheik had pitched up at Stoke or WBA then any achievements of theirs would have had no merit? 

Liverpool bankrolled throughout their glory years by the Moores pools empire. No merit there either?

uniteds foundations laid by a wealthy crook, who's fortune was partly made by selling rotten condemned meat to the city's schools? No merit in what they achieved? 

Sky dosh bankrolling the big five. No merit in what those teams achieve either I suppose.

its what's on the pitch that counts. Beautiful football is beautiful football, end of. 

Lots of jealousy from fans of those clubs who previously dominated football, and now have to look up the league table at another club, whilst crying over past glories, and mumbling about so-called history. That was then, this is now. Watch, marvel, and just enjoy it for what it is. The best football you've ever seen. Try humility, you may enjoy it. We had to be humble for forty odd years. Now it's our time. In another decade, who knows, it could be bloody Rochdale for all anybody knows. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

City won the lottery full stop.

United, Liverpool both self sustaining clubs built up over years and years of great support and sound management 

City are on the verge of getting  turfed out of Europe for breaking FFP rules to the tune of £140 Million per season.

They sold 28000 tickets for the semi final against Brighton, if the Shiek up sticks tomorrow they'd turn the Emptyhad into a bingo hall within 3 years!

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted
22 minutes ago, Joey said:

Tripe. Total tripe. Arse water of the highest order.  I suppose that if the Sheik had pitched up at Stoke or WBA then any achievements of theirs would have had no merit? 

Liverpool bankrolled throughout their glory years by the Moores pools empire. No merit there either?

uniteds foundations laid by a wealthy crook, who's fortune was partly made by selling rotten condemned meat to the city's schools? No merit in what they achieved? 

Sky dosh bankrolling the big five. No merit in what those teams achieve either I suppose.

its what's on the pitch that counts. Beautiful football is beautiful football, end of. 

Lots of jealousy from fans of those clubs who previously dominated football, and now have to look up the league table at another club, whilst crying over past glories, and mumbling about so-called history. That was then, this is now. Watch, marvel, and just enjoy it for what it is. The best football you've ever seen. Try humility, you may enjoy it. We had to be humble for forty odd years. Now it's our time. In another decade, who knows, it could be Rochdale for all anybody knows.  

What do you mean it ould be?!

• Up vote 4

soul source url
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, chatty said:

City won the lottery full stop.

United, Liverpool both self sustaining clubs built up over years and years of great support and sound management 

City are on the verge of getting  turfed out of Europe for breaking FFP rules to the tune of £140 Million per season.

They sold 28000 tickets for the semi final against Brighton, if the Shiek up sticks tomorrow they'd turn the Emptyhad into a bingo hall within 3 years!

FFS. United and Liverpool only became self sustaining clubs AFTER their own windfalls, as previously mentioned, plus being in pole position when Murdoch started handing money out willy nilly to the big five on the basis of TV appearances. Once that happened no one had a cat in hells chance of catching up, until Abramovitch punted squillions into those perennial under achievers Chelsea. Sound management? Lol. The Edwards family? Knighton? That pair of idiot yanks who used to own Liverpool?  Prior to the mid fifties, neither club was ANYTHING. 

FFP? It's bollocks, and anyone who knows anything about it would agree. Initially, FFP was designed for one reason, and one alone. To prevent clubs operating with massive debt. Until of course the established footballing "elite" of Europe screamed blue murder, seeing as the bloody lot of them were completely debt ridden. FFP Mk11 is designed purely to keep the "top" clubs feasting at the top table, whilst preventing any "upstarts" from crashing the party. 

Fans? City lost two generations of fans when we were utter pish. Little kids want to support successful teams, regardless of who their dads and grandads support after all. City fans are also generally known to be from the less affluent areas of Manchester, and struggle to go to every match, as most blokes probably would. I live two hundred miles away now, and can spend upwards of £200 to £300 for a home game when tickets, travel, hotel and expenses are taken into account. So guess what, no, I don't attend every bloody game either! 

Won the lottery? Of course we did! And guess what? We're so f***ing chuffed it hurts! 

The Sheik? In addition to bankrolling City, his even greater achieviement is what he's done to that part of Manchester. It was a derelict sh&thole, completely ignored by the city council for decades. It still had WW11 bomb damage for crissakes. Now, its thriving, with loads of locals in employment for the first time in generations. If he hadn't come along, trust me, the commonwealth games facilities would have been left to rot. Now, it's a different world there. Tell me again what improvements have been made to Trafford and the surrounding area by the Edwards and Glazer families. Or Liverpool outside of Anfield park. 

BTW,  footballing "history" didn't start with Shankly and Busby either. It began a century or so earlier, with the likes of poor old Notts County. 

Back to today's offerings. One sided yes. But also the most complete cup final performance in living memory. 

Edited by Joey
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Joey said:

FFS. United and Liverpool only became self sustaining clubs AFTER their own windfalls, as previously mentioned, plus being in pole position when Murdoch started handing money out willy nilly to the big five on the basis of TV appearances. Once that happened no one had a cat in hells chance of catching up, until Abramovitch punted squillions into those perennial under achievers Chelsea. Sound management? Lol. The Edwards family? Knighton? That pair of idiot yanks who used to own Liverpool?  Prior to the mid fifties, neither club was ANYTHING. 

FFP? It's bollocks, and anyone who knows anything about it would agree. Initially, FFP was designed for one reason, and one alone. To prevent clubs operating with massive debt. Until of course the established footballing "elite" of Europe screamed blue murder, seeing as the bloody lot of them were completely debt ridden. FFP Mk11 is designed purely to keep the "top" clubs feasting at the top table, whilst preventing any "upstarts" from crashing the party. 

Fans? City lost two generations of fans when we were utter pish. Little kids want to support successful teams, regardless of who their dads and grandads support after all. City fans are also generally known to be from the less affluent areas of Manchester, and struggle to go to every match, as most blokes probably would. I live two hundred miles away now, and can spend upwards of £200 to £300 for a home game when tickets, travel, hotel and expenses are taken into account. So guess what, no, I don't attend every bloody game either! 

Won the lottery? Of course we did! And guess what? We're so f***ing chuffed it hurts! 

The Sheik? In addition to bankrolling City, his even greater achieviement is what he's done to that part of Manchester. It was a derelict sh&thole, completely ignored by the city council for decades. It still had WW11 bomb damage for crissakes. Now, its thriving, with loads of locals in employment for the first time in generations. If he hadn't come along, trust me, the commonwealth games facilities would have been left to rot. Now, it's a different world there. Tell me again what improvements have been made to Trafford and the surrounding area by the Edwards and Glazer families. Or Liverpool outside of Anfield park. 

BTW,  footballing "history" didn't start with Shankly and Busby either. It began a century or so earlier, with the likes of poor old Notts County. 

Back to today's offerings. One sided yes. But also the most complete cup final performance in living memory. 

Joey there has been a lot of regeneration outside Anfield without football being involved, eu money for example. No , hats off to city you can’t take away their playing on the pitch , just glad we could make it a 2 horse race this season. As for today, I don’t like one sided games but that’s how it goes . Oh as for hicks and gillett when they came into town with their spurs on, one of them ( can’t remember which right now) hadn’t a penny to scratch his arse with and we was hoping for a rich sheik to come in ,( your man ) so no I’m not jealous after the lfc have won a plenty . Let’s hope next season is as good, but you don’t win it , we do !

Edited by Colnago
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Well at least we agree on one thing, 'City won the lottery'.

Which supports my first post, that whatever City wins is without merit!

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
8 minutes ago, chatty said:

Well at least we agree on one thing, 'City won the lottery'.

Which supports my first post, that whatever City wins is without merit!

So, as long as your initial wealth comes from unprincipled crooks or megalomaniac Aussie media tycoons, all your achievements have merit? OK, silly me, I'll stand corrected. 

soul source url
Posted (edited)

meglomaniac Aussie media tycoons?

Surely the sky money was handed out on a level playing field basis?

The higher you finished the more you received.

Same with games shown, the more popular the team the more you was on tv. Which supports my argument about having built up support over years and years!

Edited by chatty
Spelling mistake

soul source url
Posted
12 minutes ago, Colnago said:

Joey there has been a lot of regeneration outside Anfield without football being involved, eu money for example. No , hats off to city you can’t take away their playing on the pitch , just glad we could make it a 2 horse race this season. As for today, I don’t like one sided games but that’s how it goes . Oh as for hicks and gillett when they came into town with their spurs on, one of them ( can’t remember which right now) hadn’t a penny to scratch his arse with and we was hoping for a rich sheik to come in ,( your man ) so no I’m not jealous after the lfc have won a plenty . Let’s hope next season is as good, but you don’t win it , we do !

Never knew about the regeneration around Anfield. Been a few years since I went there. My point was about the club owners putting money into the local area, outside of the football club. I have plenty of 'Pool supporters in my extended family and circle of friends, so I have no beef with Liverpool at all. What they achieved under Shankly and the boot room boys was unbelievable, and richly deserved. Liverpool also have to, in a warped sense, take much of the credit for what we achieved this year. Would we have been able to sustain that incredible league form without your lot breathing down our necks? I don't believe we would. 

My main gripe with all this is the revisionist history being quoted by people up and down the country who haven't a clue as to how the bigger clubs got their money to begin with, and how it helped change the face of English football. I remember when the city of Liverpool only had one real team, and they played in blue. All that changed in about '64, and I see no signs of the situation ever reverting. United? A diddy club, until a City legend started managing them. Even then, the people of Manchester, mostly blues, would go to OT to watch "our Matts" young lads. Some folks seem to think football is only fifty or sixty years old. Some even believe it only began with the advent of the premier league. 

But, as I mentioned, in the great scheme of things it doesn't matter where or when a club got it's first injection of wealth. It's what they do with it that counts. City have provided me with a level of football I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams. I marvel at them in the same way I marvelled at the Liverpool team who won everything in the eighties and nineties, that Brazil team of '70, the Arsenal invincibles, and Cruyffs Ajax. Football is football, and beautiful football should be enjoyed, not sniped at. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
3 minutes ago, chatty said:

meglomaniac Aussie media tycoons?

Surely the sky money was handed out on a level playing field basis?

The higher you finished the more you received.

Same with games shown, the more popular the team the more you was on tv. Which supports my argument about having built up support over years and years!

Wrong. The first few years the money was handed out as per how many times you were the featured team on Sky. That was mostly United and Liverpool, who therefore benefitted most from the Sky deal. Arsenal didn't do too bad, Tottenham were run by a miser, so didn't invest the windfall, and Everton fell by the wayside completely. That reduced the so-called Big Five to two. Plus Arsenal. It was only later, after much lobbying, that a more even distribution system was introduced. But, by then, the damage was done. Liverpool, and especially United, were now so far in front of the rest financially, that it was impossible to catch up. It was a level playing field BEFORE Sky and the premier league screwed everything up. Over the intervening years, it became more and more skewed, until it got to the point where only a sustained and massive injection of cash from a fairy godmother would allow any other club to challenge. 

What would you prefer, complete dominance by one or two teams for all time, much as in Spain, Germany, Italy etc., or what we have now? More money will be pumped into ever more clubs in England, and such dominance as seen in the past will not be repeated. Sure, one team will go a few years beating everyone, but twenty or more years of it? No, it ain't gonna happen. 

And it still doesn't change what City are showing on the pitch. The most exciting, beautiful, technically brilliant football that this country has ever seen. Who's to say that one day, possibly even in the near future, some other team won't come along and put on even greater displays. 

Just wont be United, that's all. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.