Soul books

Jazz

22 hours ago, Dave Rimmer said:

Is there an email address I can be added to when it's released Dave, so I can jump straight onto a copy? Cheers

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, paul-s said:

I went to a lecture at Salford Uni a good few years ago, Lucy Gibson presented it.  Tim Wall, Nicola Smith and Ady Croasdell spoke at this lecture.  Is this where the parts for the above books are taken?

This was the lecture I think...

Edited by chalky
Social source share

34 minutes ago, jumpinjoan said:

Jeez, can't believe that was 2010! Was an interesting lecture, we were a tough crowd lol

I have the PowerPoint presentation for Lucy's lecture somewhere and her synopsis. Apart from Ady of course, she was the only one that got it. 

Pretty sure I have a recording of the lecture ads well as all the synopsis etc that you have.  Yes it was interesting and we were tough on them and rightly so as they has so much wrong IMO.  Hopefully if they did use that as the basis of the book they got it right.  

I will probably buy the paperback version of the book or the e-reader, not sure how they can justify £75 for the hardback???

PS I couldn't believe it was nearly 9 years ago either.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Not about soul music as such, but has strong connections ...

… author Shaun Knapp will be launching his book, Mods: Two City Connection, at our Dungeon Club Reunion at The Newmarket on March 29th from 3pm -5pm.  The book utilises first-hand accounts and photographs that tell the story of the sixties Mod scene in Nottingham and Leicester. It also forms the basis of the Mods: Shaping a Generation exhibition which takes place in Leicester in April, May and June.

MODSbook.jpg

Social source share

Good one here just published over the last couple of months -  “Shake Your Hips: the Excello Records Story”. Covers the early days of Ernie Young’s record shop in the 1940s, through swamp blues, the 60s and 70s soul period right up AVI procurement of the label. Available via A Nickel And A Nail.

https://a-nickel-and-a-nail.myshopify.com/collections/books/products/shake-your-hips-the-excello-records-story-randy-fox

30BC3728-6E45-4FF7-A0B4-FC6D9338EB39.jpeg

BFCB0FB7-EED5-4772-9431-25F6D51F4B2E.jpeg

Edited by Windlesoul
Social source share

Someone should do a book about the 1st incarnation of the Prestatyn Weekenders …. including both the NS event & the autumn Motown event … so many top acts came over here during those times & were interviewed about their 'lives & times'. Plus, all the details of their exploits here in the UK and the fantastic live shows they put on could also be included. There's certainly 1000's of photos around to perfectly illustrate such a book. Facts on the various rooms & their music policies, the use made of Pontin's on-site TV / broadcast facilities should also be included. What the DJ's got up to could also form part of a chapter too.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 6 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!