Stephen Houghton profile photo

The big venue

Posted

Hi I'm just putting something out there, I've been wondering if there was a ultimate soul venue that was out there that was huge so you could get thousands in, like a indoor Woodstock but soulful what do you think djs 

  • Up vote 1
  • Disagree 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I think that would be Absolutely brilliant , something different ✊ an out door venue, chillaxing Dancing , 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I'm not sure if there's a suitable venue that big - Basically you mean a venue 5 times the size of current All-nighter venues, along with a dance floor of that size ratio.

Sywell Aerodrome here in Northants has a great Aircraft Hanger venue. It's huge, but with a poxy small dance floor in the middle, and loads of carpet for tables and chairs - If you could sort the dance floor, it would be a fantastic Weekender venue. It has several rooms, lovely surroundings, and an Art Deco Bar and Hotel (We could do with another weekender) :wink:

If there is a venue of such size, the problem would be getting thousands of people there.

Btw - I think there is some sort of festival type thing planned next year somewhere (Not sure of the details)

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted

great idea for the late summer...

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

What and fill it wth divs?  It already exists 7000 at butlins 🙄

  • Up vote 12
  • Disagree 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
9 minutes ago, chalky said:

What and fill it wth divs?  It already exists 7000 at butlins 🙄

Think it's a brilliant idea , get all the divs , clownsuits and handbags together once a month in one massive 'central' venue like the NEC , it would free up both the poor overburdened Events Guide here on SS and leave the rest of the land div-free for the rest of us ... :shhh:

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted

the NEC has sniffer dogs

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
18 minutes ago, shufflin said:

the NEC has sniffer dogs

At least they couldn't get the talc in then

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Shufflin profile photo
Posted
52 minutes ago, chalky said:

7000 at butlins

£65 pp for 3 nights and Lamar headlining, Gladys Knight tribute act...can't go wrong to be fair, plus "our range of fuss-free dining plans, starting from just £18.50 per person per day. Choose from the great value Food Court Dining package or luxurious Premium Dining package"

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, shufflin said:

the NEC has sniffer dogs

They'll go wild at all those incontinence pants. 😁

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 

 

Be careful what you wish for ....The 'Souldome' alldayer 🙂

manchall.jpg

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

In theory great idea But we all know it wouldn't work. The div's  clownsuits handbaggers , would never accept  or appreciate   rare, rarely played, crossover or modern , anything apart from their previous overplayed played  out hammered to death 500 would not be accepted even for a hour. Hence multi  room venues. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Big venue = lowest common denominator - just HAS to be because of the number of different people you have to please (after all frankly there's A LOT of money at stake if you don't get the numbers) and if you don't have a reasonably full dancefloor in a giant venue it just feels absolutely dead (and remember that a full dancefloor in a huge venue could well mean the equivalent of the entire population of a 'normal' sized venue on the floor at the same time - a tough ask of any DJ) - so you HAVE to spin things everyone knows and likes coz if you lose the floor in a venue like this it's that much harder to win it back.

Personally I hate really big venues - I think people that need them just want to be cattle. Sadly I think many are simply desperate to be part of a 'gang' because they haven't the passion to be sure they're into the 'right' music/record without that mass affirmation (it's the same mindset that sees records that were bumping along with little interest suddenly explode into being 'universally' loved - king's new clothes).

For me you get a proper atmospheric buzz when everyone's kicking off each other in a tight venue with a like minded group musically (ie knowledgable, broad minded and accepting of stuff they don't know if it measures up - that counts whether it's a venue playing 60s club sounds, a newies/lesser known oldies, or a modern venue - I enjoy them all if they good).

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 6

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Big venue = lowest common denominator - just HAS to be because of the number of different people you have to please (after all frankly there's A LOT of money at stake if you don't get the numbers) and if you don't have a reasonably full dancefloor in a giant venue it just feels absolutely dead (and remember that a full dancefloor in a huge venue could well mean the equivalent of the entire population of a 'normal' sized venue on the floor at the same time - a tough ask of any DJ) - so you HAVE to spin things everyone knows and likes coz if you lose the floor in a venue like this it's that much harder to win it back.

Personally I hate really big venues - I think people that need them just want to be cattle. Sadly I think many are simply desperate to be part of a 'gang' because they haven't the passion to be sure they're into the 'right' music/record without that mass affirmation (it's the same mindset that sees records that were bumping along with little interest suddenly explode into being 'universally' loved - king's new clothes).

For me you get a proper atmospheric buzz when everyone's kicking off each other in a tight venue with a like minded group musically (ie knowledgable, broad minded and accepting of stuff they don't know if it measures up - that counts whether it's a venue playing 60s club sounds, a newies/lesser known oldies, or a modern venue - I enjoy them all if they good).

Dx

This man 'doth speaketh' the truth 🙂

Edited by jez jones

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I do agree with most of what you say but a good dj should have the balls to not be afraid to empty a floor . Every record ever played as been a new spin at some point and many have emptied a floor before becoming huge records .just because the floor empties people think it's the end of the world .And if the djs good at his job. Be it a large room or small should be able to bring it back

  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
40 minutes ago, speedlimit said:

I do agree with most of what you say but a good dj should have the balls to not be afraid to empty a floor . Every record ever played as been a new spin at some point and many have emptied a floor before becoming huge records .just because the floor empties people think it's the end of the world .And if the djs good at his job. Be it a large room or small should be able to bring it back

That's great IF you have the 1000 plus people in attendance 'singing' of the same hymn sheet !!....

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Didn't it happen at the Queens Hall in Leeds in 74?  Never again!!!!

 

Paul

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, speedlimit said:

In theory great idea But we all know it wouldn't work. The div's  clownsuits handbaggers , would never accept  or appreciate   rare, rarely played, crossover or modern , anything apart from their previous overplayed played  out hammered to death 500 would not be accepted even for a hour. Hence multi  room venues. 

And vice versa

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Kings Hall isn’t full these days, most all-nighters struggle for numbers these days, the regular scene is about 3-400 strong tops, mainstram scene gets the numbers at weekenders but a regalar niter will definitely struggle. 

One off, you already have a divvy delight at Butlins.  

You have to see some of the videos and you try your best to disassociate yourself with the scene. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, jez jones said:

That's great IF you have the 1000 plus people in attendance 'singing' of the same hymn sheet !!....

That's my point I don't mind oldies as long as they are not hammered to death , most whom still like to hear new sounds can cope with that , it's the one's whom just like oldies that can't cope they forget  all the sounds they like we're once newies.  Which is a pity I would like nothing better than to see the scene reunited  like it used to be .It saddens me to see the splinters in the scene. 

  • Up vote 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, chalky said:

 

One off, you already have a divvy delight at Butlins.  

You have to see some of the videos and you try your best to disassociate yourself with the scene. 

My point exactly the main stream side of the scene as now become a massive joke.  and sadly yes we disassociate ourselves from it as it's not what the scenes about

Share this forum post


soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. The Venue in Derby 29/2/20
    Event Playlists by Steve Wilson on Sun 01 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 302
    • Steve Wilson on 01 Mar 2020
  2. Bootleggers venue Lyon
    All About the SOUL by mecca74 on Wed 15 Jan 2020
    • 5 / 430
    • mecca74 on 15 Jan 2020
  3. Great venue
    Freebasing by Stephen Houghton on Sun 27 Oct 2019
    • 5 / 561
    • Stephen Houghton on 29 Oct 2019
  4. Iconic Nottingham venue to close
    All About the SOUL by Speedlimit on Thu 06 Jun 2019
    • 8 / 554
    • Blackpoolsoul on 06 Jun 2019
  5. Carr's Beach, Maryland -- Top 60's Black Venue
    All About the SOUL by Roburt on Thu 14 Mar 2019
    • 5 / 298
    • Roburt on 15 Mar 2019

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.