Kim Weston - Dave Godin

Wheelsville1

19 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Dave Godin was "in my opinion" one of the most influential people of the last century in music ....well for us anyway, The Godfather of Northern Soul

https://www.change.org/p/sheffield-city-council-by-soul-blues-music-lovers-worldwide-public-recognition-for-dave-godin-the-father-of-northern-soul

Totally agree mate.I was fortunate to meet and have a lengthy conversation with him a good few years ago at the Harlem Shuffle night at Clifton hall in Rotherham. He was guest of honour that night. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

30 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

On the night that I met Dave we talked in length about how he helped bring Motown to the UK,his first meeting with Marvin Gaye and the other Motown acts.It was mind blowing. 

The girl on the right of the photo ( Lesley Brown from Huddersfield) was on the phone to Mrs B last night!

Mrs B ( she was Miss Greenwood then) and I were both at the Wheel the night Dave visited. I still have the postcard from Dave telling me he'd be there - dated 9th Dec 1970. Wheel was on 12th December

Social source share

17 hours ago, JulianB said:

The girl on the right of the photo ( Lesley Brown from Huddersfield) was on the phone to Mrs B last night!

Mrs B ( she was Miss Greenwood then) and I were both at the Wheel the night Dave visited. I still have the postcard from Dave telling me he'd be there - dated 9th Dec 1970. Wheel was on 12th December

A historic document! Nice

Social source share

On 27/02/2019 at 21:55, Blackpoolsoul said:

Dave Godin was "in my opinion" one of the most influential people of the last century in music ....well for us anyway, The Godfather of Northern Soul

https://www.change.org/p/sheffield-city-council-by-soul-blues-music-lovers-worldwide-public-recognition-for-dave-godin-the-father-of-northern-soul

I'm not sure he was the Father of Northern Soul. He coined a phrase to help his staff sell records in his shop to northerners who preferred uptempo soul.

I doubt he liked more than 50% of what we call Northern Soul...since only 50 % could be classed as soul, and it's soul what he championed.

An icon in terms of soul and motown in particular, and should have registered the term Northern Soul so he made some royalties from it.

Strange thing is I'd rather listen to scratchy and I'm getting on life more than half his deep soul treasures..which questions whether I'm actually a soul fan above being a Northern Soul fan.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!