Know What I Mean - Nichelle Nichols - Record Store Day 2019

Proper 100% Northern Soul. From Nichelle Nichols from Star Trek. Both sides!

I've never seen a copy in the flesh. I think the Trekkies must've swooped 'em up. I'm pretty sure it's super-rare. Fantastic infectious vintage Northern Soul.

Available this coming Record Store Day for the first time since 1967. Don't sleep on it. You have been forewarned. X

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Arranged by Gene Page, written by J Mcoy... gonna be good init...

Looks like a good selection of Soul releases for this year >>Here<<  the Texas Soul 68 Lp looks good as well ~:-)

Not sure about the Alice Clark Lp on Wewantsounds,  they are saying the first reissue, surly Kent got there first with the complete studio recordings>?

does anybody know what 'Soul Brother' in Putney are looking to put out?

Mal

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Complete list here:-

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/rsd-2019?fbclid=IwAR10kBeXzPbVfahXbeyZ5XC7ZdGbIlwHHxAJcnGk4aXv9ypkjjAx7pVtscQ

In case anyone didn't notice, there's the instrumental of "Open The Door To Your Heart" - Darrell Banks available for the first time ever! Has to be heard to be believed! Not a bad year this year methinks.......

Ian D :)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Mal C said:

found the Soul Brother release, it's Sharon Ridley -  "Where Did You Learn To Make Love The Way You Do", very nice...

but more interesting is I guess the first 7inch release of "Ain' t No Need" by Ralph Graham.

Yep. Sharon Ridley's a beauty for sure. I haven't got to the Ralph Graham yet.......

Social source share

Sorry, I don't want to spoil anyone else's enjoyment but I just think it's a rotten, corny song with cringe-making lyrics - 'baby wait until you sample my souffle'.🙄 Novelty record.

Other side is a standard but not a patch on Mark Murphy's version:

Edited by JoeSoap
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Proper 100% Northern Soul. From Nichelle Nichols from Star Trek. Both sides!

I've never seen a copy in the flesh. I think the Trekkies must've swooped 'em up. I'm pretty sure it's super-rare. Fantastic infectious vintage Northern Soul.

Available this coming Record Store Day for the first time since 1967. Don't sleep on it. You have been forewarned. X

Very happy with this release

Edited by Scootboy
typo
Social source share

20 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Complete list here:-

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/rsd-2019?fbclid=IwAR10kBeXzPbVfahXbeyZ5XC7ZdGbIlwHHxAJcnGk4aXv9ypkjjAx7pVtscQ

In case anyone didn't notice, there's the instrumental of "Open The Door To Your Heart" - Darrell Banks available for the first time ever! Has to be heard to be believed! Not a bad year this year methinks.......

I think this is again another poor year for people who collect Funk/Soul.  More laziness of the record companies, with straight reissues of LP's just on different coloured vinyl, singles box sets containing already released 7" material and previous LP tracks released on 7" or 12" formats.  If you like instrumentals then the Parliaments and Darrell Banks is something for you and New York Soul, New Orleans Soul, Texas Soul & Soul Slab Vol 2 compilation LP's look quite interesting, but I think they all contain only previously released music.  The only one of real interest for me is the Super Disco Edits LP, which does have 5 formerly unreleased tracks.

Edited by John Reed
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Let me guess the Northern Soul box set 🙂

Herb Ward ‎– Honest To Goodness  RCA

Lou Courtney ‎– I Watched You Slowly Slip Away  or  Tryin' To Find My Woman

The Vibrations ‎– 'Cause You're Mine / I Took An Overdose

John Edwards – It’s Those Little Things That Count / The Look On Your Face ? (BELL - More Modern than Northern)

The Metros ‎– Since I Found My Baby ?

The M.V.P.'s ‎– Turnin' My Heartbeat Up

Social source share

9 hours ago, dave pinch said:

Didnt it come out on epic in the 60s.. thought it was cheap

It was, often saw this on eBay cheap. Always liked Star Trek so knew full well who she is. Thought it was nothing special and couldn't believe it when I saw it making money over the last year. But what do I know? Bought and sold Turley Richards cheap cos I thought it was rubbish, (still do) 🤔

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, John A said:

It was, often saw this on eBay cheap. Always liked Star Trek so knew full well who she is. Thought it was nothing special and couldn't believe it when I saw it making money over the last year. But what do I know? Bought and sold Turley Richards cheap cos I thought it was rubbish, (still do) 🤔

agree 100% john...  mine was yellow epic $15..gave it a chance thought both sides were average sold it for £25 ..must be 15 yrs ago..never had turley richards in the collection tho..  its ok but thats it

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Yep. Sharon Ridley's a beauty for sure. I haven't got to the Ralph Graham yet.......

I see the Sharon Ridley clocks in at 4:48, presumably the album version, which goes on a little too longfor my taste,  the 45 clocks 3:00 R-11280483-1513338270-5034.jpeg.jpg

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
22 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

Proper 100% Northern Soul. Fantastic infectious vintage Northern Soul.

I think that's a bit of a stretch tbh 🙂

it's not for me but good luck to all involved

Social source share

Bear in mind that RSD shops are allowed to sell unsold stock online 7 days after the event. We did a great trade in the Third Man Frank Wilson 7 last year as a lot of mainstream RSD shops didn't bother with it and it was great to be able to offer it to folks on here so that they didn't have to pay ebay/discogs scalper prices.

It's always a bit hit and miss as to how many of each release shops receive, but we'll be ordering all the soul/funk/disco and jazz releases, so watch this space a week after RSD for unsold stock at regular prices.

Edited by Godzilla
typo...
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Scootboy said:

I had it in my want list the last three or four years,

if in good condition it sells quick,listings between £175 - £200 don't last  more than a day,

£250 - £300 is average,if it is in great shape,it can go £350+ 

bloody hell its goin up and up.. wish i still had it..i`d sell it again

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

As I said earlier, literally used to see no end of these on the bay for around $20. Remember thinking, these Americans will call anything "Northern soul" just to get a sale, so was genuinely surprised to see it making money a year or so back. Just wish I'd have hoovered them all up.

Social source share

Truth be told I never actually heard this record until last year. Just lately I've been going for very individual female vocals with a sassy approach and I stumbled into this on You Tube and THEN found out she was the black lady in Star Trek who reputedly did the first-ever inter-racial kiss on mainstream TV with William Shatner. Which in itself was interesting. We tried to do a pic sleeve using that image but that is one of the most iconic images ever and it's guarded very fiercely. 

But vocally I think she's very distinctive. She did lead vocal stints with Duke Ellington and Lionel Hampton prior to her acting career. I like ballsy records and I like ballsy women and she hits on both counts for me. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nichelle_Nichols

Nichelle Nichols & William Shatner.jpg

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

On 01/03/2019 at 10:52, Soulfusion said:

Cue Ian ....

As if by magic......

Modern Soul

7" Box Set Bobby Womack & Brotherhood Home Is Where The Heart Is 3.18 Columbia 3-10437
  Patti Austin Didn't Say A Word 3.19 Columbia 4-45592

7" Box Set Ujima I'm Not Ready 3.04 Epic 8-50095
  Randy Jackson How Can I Be Sure 3.30 Epic 8-50576

7" Box Set Sharon McMahan Get Out Of My Life 3.19 Columbia 4-45855
  Aretha Franklin One Step Ahead 2.33 Columbia 4-43241

7" Box Set Jeff Perry Call On Me 3.51 Epic 8-50372
  Bill Coday A Man Can't Be A Man 3.03 Epic 8-50167

7" Box Set Mandrill My Kind Of Girl (My Girl) 3.50 Arista - AS0490
  Osamu Kitajima Say You Will 4.23 Arista - AS0627

7" Box Set Rick Sheppard Can We Share It 3.09 Columbia 4-10242
  Troy And Tomorrow Means Another Day We're Apart 4.09 Columbia 4-45748

7" Box Set Harris, Bill Am I Cold, Am I Hot 3.32 RCA Victor PB-10520 
  Jose Feliciano Golden Lady 4.20 RCA Victor PB-10094

Northern Soul

7" Box Set Lou Edward's & Today's People Talkin' 'Bout Poor Folk 3.10 Columbia 4-45611
  Bobby Lester  Hang Up Your Hang-Ups 3.26 Columbia 4-45081

7" Box Set The Vibrations Cause You're Mine 2.10 Epic 5-10418
  The French Fries Danse A La Musique 3.04 Epic 5-10313

7" Box Set The M.V.P.'s  Turning My Heartbeat Up 2.14 Buddah BDA 262 
  Lou Courtney Trying To Find My Woman 2.24 Buddah BDA 121

7" Box Set Lorraine Chandler I Can't Hold On 2.23 RCA Victor 47-8980
  The Metros Since I Found My Baby 2.35 RCA Victor 47-9159

7" Box Set Bernie Williams Ever Again 2.31 Bell B-768
  John Edwards The Look On Your Face TBC Bell 54-205

7" Box Set The Seven Souls I Still Love You 2.23 Okeh 4-7289
  Major Harris Call Me Tomorrow 2.18 Okeh 4-7327

7" Box Set Herb Ward Honest To Goodness 2.48 RCA Victor 47-9688
  Douglas & Lonero Don't Get Carried Away 2.49 RCA Victor PB-10347

It should be pointed out that clearing stuff these days has become a licensing and administrative nightmare. These two boxes went through at least 10 drafts apiece with at least 50% of the original requests denied for 'contractual' reasons. It's getting harder and harder to clear stuff through the various companies, especially when the original contracts have disappeared! 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:16, JoeSoap said:

Sorry, I don't want to spoil anyone else's enjoyment but I just think it's a rotten, corny song with cringe-making lyrics - 'baby wait until you sample my souffle'.🙄 Novelty record.

Other side is a standard but not a patch on Mark Murphy's version:

Always liked this version myself.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!