Frankie & Johnny

Lloydee

Just some info on Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You:

We went to a Blue Night last night to especially see Maggie Bell, now Ms Bell has not toured for twenty years so it was a surprise and a delight to see her perform. I can report she's still got a great voice, at 61 she can still knock a tune out.

Now here's the info; Rob Hurcomb & John Farrell hung around afterwards, one to talk to her and two so Rob could get his Decca 7" signed. Maggie Bell confirmed that this was her first released record and had heard rumours while living in Antwerp that it was getting play's in the UK. She also informed to Rob & John that Johnny, real name Bobby Kerr, had since died in a moped accident in London. Both Maggie & Bobby are credited with writing the song, hence the Kerr, Bell. Johnny Harris, Shirley Bassey's band arranger, was involved with the production; this is why the track has that crisp big band sound.

Where was I when all these questions were being asked, at the Bar with girls, where else!

A nice bit of music trivia for a Wednesday.

:shades:

• Thanks 1
Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Just some info on Frankie & Johnny - I'll Hold You:

We went to a Blue Night last night to especially see Maggie Bell, now Ms Bell has not toured for twenty years so it was a surprise and a delight to see her perform. I can report she's still got a great voice, at 61 she can still knock a tune out.

Now here's the info; Rob Hurcomb & John Farrell hung around afterwards, one to talk to her and two so Rob could get his Decca 7" signed. Maggie Bell confirmed that this was her first released record and had heard rumours while living in Antwerp that it was getting play's in the UK. She also informed to Rob & John that Johnny, real name Bobby Kerr, had since died in a moped accident in London. Both Maggie & Bobby are credited with writing the song, hence the Kerr, Bell. Johnny Harris, Shirley Bassey's band arranger, was involved with the production; this is why the track has that crisp big band sound.

Where was I when all these questions were being asked, at the Bar with girls, where else!

A nice bit of music trivia for a Wednesday.

thumbsup.gif

Bobby/Johnny was also known as Johnny Curtis who had a great single on Parlophone called "Our love's disintegrating"

Social source share

When we released "I'll Hold You" on Inferno, Hickory supplied us a photograph of the duo but we were not allowed to use it without getting permission from Bobby Kerr's father who lived in Glasgow ...he was that upset his son had died.

manifesto used the photograph for an article on Inferno.

Neil

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Blimee what a tragic way to go. Great piece of trivia though.

Maggie was a bit unlucky with partners, really. Around 1971 she had the misfortune to see Les Harvey, her then life partner and lead guitarist with Stone The Crows -the rock group she then fronted - literally die on stage. He touched a live mic with his other hand on his electric guitar and fused himself to the National Grid, while the rest of the band stood by, powerless to stop it happening...

(A fantastic guitarist was Les. If you ever get the chance to hear the ultra rare 1964 album he made with his equally-dead brother Alex Harvey, "AH Sings The Blues" you will hear acoustic blues guitar playing that makes Eric Clapton sound like Eric Morecambe...)

TONE

Social source share

• 13 years later...
On 21/12/2006 at 17:55, Guest said:

When we released "I'll Hold You" on Inferno, Hickory supplied us a photograph of the duo but we were not allowed to use it without getting permission from Bobby Kerr's father who lived in Glasgow ...he was that upset his son had died.

manifesto used the photograph for an article on Inferno.

Neil

Hello

Neil

Just looking through this Bobby Kerr was my uncle. Do you have any pictures you could share.

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!