Karl Tarleton - Chicago Music

I apologise if this has already been covered, but I can find little about Karl, who seems to have been prolific having been a writer and producer for many acts

The Kavettes, Mel And Tim, Bull & The Matadors, Jackie Wilson, Jo Ann Garrett, Chicago Allstars, The Voice Masters, Gene Chandler etc.

He had a clear connection to Andrew Williams (Already have his story) and Carl Davis, but there appears to be little info on the Web.

He did one single himself (that I know of) 

I guess there are Chicago experts on here who may know a little or a lot, but I think we need his story, if you can help please :)

Karl.jpg

Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I apologise if this has already been covered, but I can find little about Karl, who seems to have been prolific having been a writer and producer for many acts

The Kavettes, Mel And Tim, Bull & The Matadors, Jackie Wilson, Jo Ann Garrett, Chicago Allstars, The Voice Masters, Gene Chandler etc.

He had a clear connection to Andrew Williams (Already have his story) and Carl Davis, but there appears to be little info on the Web.

He did one single himself (that I know of) 

I guess there are Chicago experts on here who may know a little or a lot, but I think we need his story, if you can help please :)

Karl.jpg

I think the Robert Pruter book 'Chicago Soul' will provide quite a bit of info as he delves deeply into the history of Chicago's black music scene.

I read it years ago and my copy is in storage but I'm sure Tarleton gets a bit of coverage.        

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/362107.Chicago_Soul 

ATB

Andy

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

I think the Robert Pruter book 'Chicago Soul' will provide quite a bit of info as he delves deeply into the history of Chicago's black music scene.

I read it years ago and my copy is in storage but I'm sure Tarleton gets a bit of coverage.        

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/362107.Chicago_Soul 

ATB

Andy

Very little about him in it mate, just that he died sometime in the 70s, Shirley Wahls recorded his demos, Why Am I Crying being one such demo originally.  She did such a good job they recorded it on her.  65000 it sold in Chicago alone according to Shirley.  He gets a mention on three pages for his songwriting, that is about it.

Social source share

1 minute ago, chalky said:

Very little about him in it mate, just that he died sometime in the 70s, Shirley Wahls recorded his demos, Why Am I Crying being one such demo originally.  She did such a good job they recorded it on her.  65000 it sold in Chicago alone according to Shirley.  He gets a mention on three pages for his songwriting, that is about it.

OK good info Chalky. Its been years since I read it so going on memory.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

Why Am I Crying being one such demo originally.  She did such a good job they recorded it on her.  65000 it sold in Chicago alone according to Shirley.  

Fantastic record! 

Social source share

Yes, Karl was an excellent songwriter and producer.  He was something like the "Popcorn Wylie of Chicago or Don Juan Mancha of Chicago", an independent producer/songwriter, who worked with just about everyone and every record label of consequence, in his city.  I love his songwriting, both on uptempo songs and ballads.  I think his style fit best with Carl Davis' productions, but I also like lots of his indie-tiny label work.  I really don't know anything about his personal life.  I never met him, or anyone with whom he worked closely.

Bob Pruter would be the best source for information about him.

Although Bob hasn't written much about Karl, he'd know more than what's been written.  Someone ought to contact him.

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, RobbK said:

Yes, Karl was an excellent songwriter and producer.  He was something like the "Popcorn Wylie of Chicago or Don Juan Mancha of Chicago", an independent producer/songwriter, who worked with just about everyone and every record label of consequence, in his city.  I love his songwriting, both on uptempo songs and ballads.  I think his style fit best with Carl Davis' productions, but I also like lots of his indie-tiny label work.  I really don't know anything about his personal life.  I never met him, or anyone with whom he worked closely.

Bob Pruter would be the best source for information about him.

Although Bob hasn't written much about Karl, he'd know more than what's been written.  Someone out to contact him.

pruter@comcast.net 

Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

Robert Pruter doesn't know much more if anything more than what he wrote in his Chicago Soul book.  He said he should have asked more questions about him during his interviews in writing the book.

That's too bad.  I guess I should have talked to Bunky about him, when I had the chance.

Social source share

Robert has dome a bit of digging snd come up with the following biog, Illinois County Deaths.

Illinois, Cook County Deaths
Other information in the record of Karl R Tarleton
from Illinois, Cook County Deaths
Name Karl R Tarleton 
Event Type Death 
Event Date 14 Jun 1978 
Event Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States 
Address 7042 S Morgan 
Gender Male 
Age 37 
Marital Status Divorced 
Race Black 
Occupation Organist 
Birth Date 02 Nov 1940 
Birthplace , , Illinois 
Funeral Home Metropolitan 
Burial Date 17 Jun 1978 
Burial Place Worth, , Illinois 
Cemetery Restvale 
Father's Name Karl Tarleton 
Mother's Name Ella Ward

Social source share

24 minutes ago, chalky said:

Robert has dome a bit of digging snd come up with the following biog, Illinois County Deaths.

Illinois, Cook County Deaths
Other information in the record of Karl R Tarleton
from Illinois, Cook County Deaths
Name Karl R Tarleton 
Event Type Death 
Event Date 14 Jun 1978 
Event Place Chicago, Cook, Illinois, United States 
Address 7042 S Morgan 
Gender Male 
Age 37 
Marital Status Divorced 
Race Black 
Occupation Organist 
Birth Date 02 Nov 1940 
Birthplace , , Illinois 
Funeral Home Metropolitan 
Burial Date 17 Jun 1978 
Burial Place Worth, , Illinois 
Cemetery Restvale 
Father's Name Karl Tarleton 
Mother's Name Ella Ward

How sad only 37 :( 1978 explains a lot as to why there is nothing much about him on the Web. I think we can all agree that he was a lot more than an Organist

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

7 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

How sad only 37 :( 1978 explains a lot as to why there is nothing much about him on the Web. I think we can all agree that he was a lot more than an Organist

He played piano, as well, especially to compose his songs.  But, I don't think he did the arranging on any final recording sessions.  I guess that the only thing that can be done to learn more about him, other than trying to track down family members through his parents' names, is to compile all his record label credits, and see all his music company connections, and follow those leads to find people alive today, who dealt with him, and see what they remember about him.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

yes...he was a lot more than an organist.

But you can find him on Lucky Cordell's outing ( Halo Records) 1964 -https://www.discogs.com/Lucky-Cordell-If-Jesus-Came-To-Your-House-Good-Morning-Lord/master/1464945

Social source share

Great topic , so sad the man died so young , one of those people who if you saw their credits on a record you would buy it blind.

Wrote one of my fave Otis Clay records '' You Hurt Me For The Last Time '' amongst others .

Why, Why , Why , was also done to great effect by The Artistics , top tune.  

Social source share

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!