Milton Wright on Satiron

I have seen copies of Milton Wrights - "I belong to you" B/W "Like a rolling stone" on Satiron,  going for up to £700, I have also seen copies that look identical going for £5.00

I have a copy that I have had for years, 1980 ish, just wondered if anyone can shed any light on how to find out if my copy is original.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Social source share

In the early 90's I gave my brother a boxful of 45's as I began getting ideas of being a top DJ, amongst that lot was a nice copy of the MR 45, I got the box back some years later and quickly sold them off as I still had the dream of becoming a top "Upfront" DJ, I sold that for a few quid!  Thing is, it is seriously one of my favourite NS tunes and I hear that the flipside is tasty, ah well, you live and learn I guess....not me.

Social source share

I spent the day going through a load of NS records that I haven't played for ages and sorted a few out to sell.

I love the Milton Wright track and wondered why I haven't played it out.

Think I paid about £1.50 for it, last time I checked it was £30, so to see the high price it is now fetching is a turn up for the books.

What has made the record so collectable, has a top DJ been pushing it, is the B side getting the spins, or have people just realised that its a great record that need more plays.

Social source share

The Satiron copies in the late 70's were never made for the USA public! They were a custom press made to be exported to the UK for the Northern Soul scene.   The vocal versions of "I belong to you" and "Like a Rolling Stone" were recorded many years before they ever had a release on vinyl!   

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/03/2019 at 22:59, Andyontherock said:

I spent the day going through a load of NS records that I haven't played for ages and sorted a few out to sell.

I love the Milton Wright track and wondered why I haven't played it out.

Think I paid about £1.50 for it, last time I checked it was £30, so to see the high price it is now fetching is a turn up for the books.

What has made the record so collectable, has a top DJ been pushing it, is the B side getting the spins, or have people just realised that its a great record that need more plays.

it had gone up to around £75.. then butch started playing the great flipside......and bobs your uncle

it did hit £700 briefly..now back down to £400/450 maybe

Social source share

On 04/03/2019 at 12:29, solidsoul said:

The Satiron copies in the late 70's were never made for the USA public! They were a custom press made to be exported to the UK for the Northern Soul scene.   The vocal versions of "I belong to you" and "Like a Rolling Stone" were recorded many years before they ever had a release on vinyl!   

think they were done in 1976 in conjunction between ollie mclaughlin and john anderson at soul bowl..as you know the instrumental ..the gallop had been played but not the vocal up to that point

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 13/03/2019 at 17:26, dave pinch said:

think they were done in 1976 in conjunction between ollie mclaughlin and john anderson at soul bowl..as you know the instrumental ..the gallop had been played but not the vocal up to that point

I wonder how many conjunctions were done with label owners!! 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

3 minutes ago, solidsoul said:

I wonder how many conjunctions were done with label owners!! 

ollie owned it..had the master recordings...it woulda come out on one of his labels .john had his permission.. whether milton wright got anything from it as it was promo only i dont know.. 

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

The £5 presses have been flooding ebay for a while now,I would not say their are identical the colour is a give away ,similar to Grace Love except that boot has a fake matrix,I think the record is back at around £400,one I had tucked away in a dusty box and brought back out after Butch done the business again.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!