David Ruffin - Still in my heart

Does anyone know the real story behind this recording?

It was presumably cut by the Don Davis/Groovesville set up?  Before or after Steve Mancha's version?

And was David still under contract to Motown and just moonlighting perhaps recording a demo of the song.

Apart from the CD releases on various compilations has it come out as a 45?

thanks for any info, appreciated.

Dave Banks

Social source share

53 minutes ago, davebanks said:

It was presumably cut by the Don Davis/Groovesville set up?  Before or after Steve Mancha's version?

And was David still under contract to Motown and just moonlighting perhaps recording a demo of the song.

Dave steve

Steve Manchas- Your still in my heart is the first release on groovesville.It is also to my knowledge the only one that was distributed by Golden world,I wonder if Golden world also had the rights to this record.If so then when Motown bought Golden World and RIC Tic they would have the rights to record it by another artist.Hence came about David Ruffins version. Chris.

Social source share

59 minutes ago, davebanks said:

Dave Banks

Yes I can tell you about this, its featured in my forthcoming book. The story told to me and Guy Hennigan in 1985 Whilst at United Sound Systems by Don Davis. By all accounts David had been bugging Don for a while in wanting to do this song, so one night or should I say early morning Don gets a call from David saying I want to do this song now so Don gets out of bed and meets up with David at the studio. Also a few tech people as they were using the same backing as the release. David started to sing in a conventional upright stance and as the song progressed David dropped gradually down to lying on his back on finishing the song off. Dons words were he had never seen anyone prior or since do that, one perfect take David nailed it 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, chalky said:

I would imagine recorded between 1962 when he was at Checkmate and 1964 when he joined the Temptations. Steve Mancha was released in 1965. 

It was done after Steve Mancha's release as they used the same backing and in no way is that a 62 production. No matter who David was contracted to these guys hung in each others pockets they all knew one another, it was never intended to be released just a song David wanted to do. David had a very impulsive nature due to his lifestyle. Don't forget Don Davis told us this, it couldn't have come from a better source. Anglo American bought the masters from Willie Davis (Dons brother) as his prices were more favourable than Dons, I know because me and Guy tried to purchase them but the prices were like telephone numbers and don't forget this is pre CD explosion so we could never of made a penny out of them 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Gilly said:

It was done after Steve Mancha's release as they used the same backing and in no way is that a 62 production. No matter who David was contracted to these guys hung in each others pockets they all knew one another, it was never intended to be released just a song David wanted to do. David had a very impulsive nature due to his lifestyle. Don't forget Don Davis told us this, it couldn't have come from a better source. Anglo American bought the masters from Willie Davis (Dons brother) as his prices were more favourable than Dons, I know because me and Guy tried to purchase them but the prices were like telephone numbers and don't forget this is pre CD explosion so we could never of made a penny out of them 

I’m not saying it was 62. More like 64/5. 

The story about him laying down is also one told about Marvin later 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Wow, thanks guys. What a great site this is for instant info.

What a scene it must have been in Detroit in those days. Great performances like this just almost casually created then tossed aside.

And now with technology we can fortunately enjoy them again.

Dave Banks

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Gilly said:

It was done after Steve Mancha's release as they used the same backing and in no way is that a 62 production...  it was never intended to be released just a song David wanted to do. David had a very impulsive nature due to his lifestyle...

Evidently 1965 or post. Thanks for sharing this little story. Makes perfect sense. Lifestyle Hmm... Character, moods and habits you mean !

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!