The Webs - Give In

Is this actually played at the moment over here or is the demand (price hike) from the lowrider oldies scene?

I'm asking as I remember this being a cheap record and around in quantity. A couple of years ago I decided to sell thinking it would be cheap only to see it going around the £100 mark. I sold it (very quickly) to a guy in the state's who wanted it for the other side "Its So Hard To Break a Habit" which to me made sense of the price, demand being for the slow side. Since then I've seen it creep up in value with people asking £200- £250. It almost seems like it was forgotten here and now the price has gone up interest in it seems to have woken up over here, but does it get anything more than a sporadic spin?

A mediocre record in my opinion (both sides), but what do I know.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mark Bicknell said:

One I've had for many years as stated here I think it cost me 15 quid, sublime record.

FB_IMG_1528227675340.jpg

I used to leave these on Bradford  market for 20p bloody awful record. Never considered the flip in those days, whereas I did a few years later. Oh well never mind.

Social source share

35 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Nice to talk about the prices, can we have some info on the group please ?

Of Discogs

The little island city of Galveston is far better known for baring the brunt of a catastrophic hurricane at the dawn of the previous century than for any entrenched musical scene. The four members of the Webs managed to stick around through nearly a dozen tropical storms- including Hurricane Isaac, which leveled the Cedar Terrace housing project in which several Webs were raised. While still enrolled at Goliad Junior High, Willie cooper followed fellow Cedar Terrace inhabitant Joel "DD" Simpson's lead and joined up with Frank Minor's show band, where he moved from occasional guest to lead singer. Too young to become a fixture on the nightclub scene, Cooper took school talent shows, where, despite his doughy appearance, he stunned classmates with his pitch-perfect Sam Cooke impression. At an intramural event, Cooper's lilting falsetto caught the ears of Booker T. Washington Junior Highers Lionel James and Vincent Hubbard. Cooper's church friend Sanders Antwaine Davis and neighbor Marshall Boxley rounded out the group, then calling itself the Spiders. After discovering the 1950s New Orleans-based doo-wop group of the same name, they went for what must've been the second best: the Webs.

A-758554-1543310473-6416.png.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 11/03/2019 at 18:11, Mark Bicknell said:

One I've had for many years as stated here I think it cost me 15 quid, sublime record.

FB_IMG_1528227675340.jpg

I used to play this about 8 years (or more) ago at Solid Hit, at the time think it was getting plays here & there. Think i paid about £30/40 but yes was up around 10 at one point. These days ? No idea 🙂

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

The information that Kev John got from discogs originated from the release booklet for Eccentric Soul 043 The Dynamic label. It contains a decent history of the group. They headed for New York where Jerry Wexler saw them and offered to record them. Their 1967 Atlantic single 'Keep Your Love Strong' was the result. It did little so their manager teamed them up with Lou Courtney and the Detroit -based producer Robert Bateman. A single 'Tomorrow' c/w ' This thing Called Love' on Popside was issued in December 1967.  The second Popside 45 was 'Give In' c/w 'It's so hard To break a Habit' rightly described as a carer pinnacle. A final Courtney / Bateman release on Verve followed in July 1968. 

The Webs had families and being broke they returned south at the start of the 70s. Lead singer Willie Cooper continued to perform in San Antonio as vocalist with Little Joe & the VIPS.  Marshall Boxley, Lionel Lames and Vincent Hubbard returned to Galveston.

https://www.lastingmemories.com/memorial/willie-leroy-cooper?obituaries

Willie Leroy Cooper (6 Jan 1944 -  10 June 2017), lead singer of The Webs R.I.P.

Edited by Firecrest
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I think "If The Shoe Fits" by Lou Courtney on the same label, is a great record! Yet it has always stayed in the background! 

The LP only "Me And You Doin The Boogaloo"  by Lou Courtney has got to be my favourite on the label! It sounds almost like Richard 'popcorn' Wylie has sneaked into the recording session! 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

4 hours ago, Firecrest said:

The information that Kev John got from discogs originated from the release booklet for Eccentric Soul 043 The Dynamic label. It contains a decent history of the group. They headed for New York where Jerry Wexler saw them and offered to record them. Their 1967 Atlantic single 'Keep Your Love Strong' was the result. It did little so their manager teamed them up with Lou Courtney and the Detroit -based producer Robert Bateman. A single 'Tomorrow' c/w ' This thing Called Love' on Popside was issued in December 1967.  The second Popside 45 was 'Give In' c/w 'It's so hard To break a Habit' rightly described as a carer pinnacle. A final Courtney / Bateman release on Verve followed in July 1968. 

The Webs had families and being broke they returned south at the start of the 70s. Lead singer Willie Cooper continued to perform in San Antonio as vocalist with Little Joe & the VIPS.  Marshall Boxley, Lionel Lames and Vincent Hubbard returned to Galveston.

https://www.lastingmemories.com/memorial/willie-leroy-cooper?obituaries

Willie Leroy Cooper (6 Jan 1944 -  10 June 2017), lead singer of The Webs R.I.P.

Fantastic record and thanks so much for respecting Willie by finding out his story

RIP Willie...you made history Sir

Social source share

• 4 years later...

I really like their 'Keep Your Love Strong' on Atlantic, good soulful slowie, got mine from the late Roger Stewart at his shop in Fulham. Records like that used to fall out of that shop, every Friday 😉

I'm hoping it's the same group, sounds like it,  I've no idea if that was just a national release, meaning I've not seen it on another label before...

Social source share

2 hours ago, Mal C said:

I really like their 'Keep Your Love Strong' on Atlantic, good soulful slowie, got mine from the late Roger Stewart at his shop in Fulham. Records like that used to fall out of that shop, every Friday 😉

I'm hoping it's the same group, sounds like it,  I've no idea if that was just a national release, meaning I've not seen it on another label before...

Yes it is as 'dukeofburgundy' indicate with it's slice of the Numero Group' blurb that sets back the group into its musical journey from Texas to the Big Apple... Their Whiz and Dynamic gear are solid, this Atlantic side is sublime and their first Popsicle is fair yet poppy as the label indicates and the followings have their devotees but me not.

Respect due I've always find this 'Give In' way too 'sassy' and the flip sounding like tortured 'pop'. Nothing measured, deep, rooted and mellow like their previous sides. And so never kept a copy of that one. Only sold them back then cheap for the dancer sides. Then their Verve 45 just nothing to be concerned about. Goes to show.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!