El Corol

The Webs - Give In

Is this actually played at the moment over here or is the demand (price hike) from the lowrider oldies scene?

I'm asking as I remember this being a cheap record and around in quantity. A couple of years ago I decided to sell thinking it would be cheap only to see it going around the £100 mark. I sold it (very quickly) to a guy in the state's who wanted it for the other side "Its So Hard To Break a Habit" which to me made sense of the price, demand being for the slow side. Since then I've seen it creep up in value with people asking £200- £250. It almost seems like it was forgotten here and now the price has gone up interest in it seems to have woken up over here, but does it get anything more than a sporadic spin?

A mediocre record in my opinion (both sides), but what do I know.

4 hours ago, Scootboy said:

Its So Hard To Break a Habit is SOUL music,

one of the best songs ever

Can't disagree, certainly soulful, just I'm not so mad for the tune.

1 hour ago, Mark Bicknell said:

One I've had for many years as stated here I think it cost me 15 quid, sublime record.

FB_IMG_1528227675340.jpg

I used to leave these on Bradford  market for 20p bloody awful record. Never considered the flip in those days, whereas I did a few years later. Oh well never mind.

35 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Nice to talk about the prices, can we have some info on the group please ?

Of Discogs

The little island city of Galveston is far better known for baring the brunt of a catastrophic hurricane at the dawn of the previous century than for any entrenched musical scene. The four members of the Webs managed to stick around through nearly a dozen tropical storms- including Hurricane Isaac, which leveled the Cedar Terrace housing project in which several Webs were raised. While still enrolled at Goliad Junior High, Willie cooper followed fellow Cedar Terrace inhabitant Joel "DD" Simpson's lead and joined up with Frank Minor's show band, where he moved from occasional guest to lead singer. Too young to become a fixture on the nightclub scene, Cooper took school talent shows, where, despite his doughy appearance, he stunned classmates with his pitch-perfect Sam Cooke impression. At an intramural event, Cooper's lilting falsetto caught the ears of Booker T. Washington Junior Highers Lionel James and Vincent Hubbard. Cooper's church friend Sanders Antwaine Davis and neighbor Marshall Boxley rounded out the group, then calling itself the Spiders. After discovering the 1950s New Orleans-based doo-wop group of the same name, they went for what must've been the second best: the Webs.

A-758554-1543310473-6416.png.jpg

On 11/03/2019 at 18:11, Mark Bicknell said:

One I've had for many years as stated here I think it cost me 15 quid, sublime record.

FB_IMG_1528227675340.jpg

I used to play this about 8 years (or more) ago at Solid Hit, at the time think it was getting plays here & there. Think i paid about £30/40 but yes was up around 10 at one point. These days ? No idea 🙂

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts