Record Store day 2019

Guest Shufflin

good one

Darrell Banks - Open The Door To Your Heart (Vocal & Instrumental)

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

You really think there will be huge demand for the instrumental? I don't.

I'm fairly new to the RSD game. I understand that the Darrell Banks 45 can be ordered by german record stores too. Thought all the RSD releases are only available in the respective country?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I posted this in the Nichelle Nichols thread.  As someone who buys new and old releases in all formats from both online and in physical shops, looking through the releases unlike other genres I think this is again another poor year for people who collect Funk/Soul.  More laziness of the record companies, with straight reissues of LP's just on different coloured vinyl, singles box sets containing already released 7" material and previously released LP tracks on 7" or 12" formats.  There are things to be found or these smaller labels wouldn't be releasing both new and unlreleased stuff on vinyl throughout the year or is it that companies like Warmers, Sony or Universal have nothing in their vaults or have no real interest looking through their vaults knowing that they can get someone to recycle the same old stuff over and over again and people will just buy it.  If you like instrumentals then the Parliaments and Darrell Banks is something for you and New York Soul, New Orleans Soul, Texas Soul & Soul Slab Vol 2 compilation LP's look quite interesting, but I think they all contain only previously released music.  The only one of real interest for me is the Super Disco Edits LP, which does have 5 formerly unreleased tracks.

Is it that with regards to Record Store Day, record companies have little respect for the Soul/Funk buyers?

Edited by John Reed
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Looking through the list again it seems like an excuse to exploit the collectors of their hard earned.  Very little of interest, spurious claims on the Alice Clark Lp, other tracks that are not even rare even if one does have a pointless instrumental on the flip.  Only one of interest to me is the Super Disco Edits Lp.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

As there are no local stores in Derby involved I made enquiries at one of the Mansfield stores listed as being involved on the RSD website. I was told under no circumstance could I pre-order the Darrell Banks single and would have to turn up on the day and hope that a) they had decided to order it and b) even if I phoned and they had a copy under no circumstance could I reserve one. Therefore I would have to turn up in person and take a chance. I only want it for the instrumental side and as much as I rate the song I'm not sure a 40 mile round trip up the A38 is worth it. Which leaves me at the mercy of the scalpers or pushes me into the dubious practice of carvers.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
22 hours ago, Benji said:

people I know want one, any left over let me know ?

Social source share

14 hours ago, John Reed said:

I posted this in the Nichelle Nichols thread.  As someone who buys new and old releases in all formats from both online and in physical shops, looking through the releases unlike other genres I think this is again another poor year for people who collect Funk/Soul.  More laziness of the record companies, with straight reissues of LP's just on different coloured vinyl, singles box sets containing already released 7" material and previously released LP tracks on 7" or 12" formats.  There are things to be found or these smaller labels wouldn't be releasing both new and unlreleased stuff on vinyl throughout the year or is it that companies like Warmers, Sony or Universal have nothing in their vaults or have no real interest looking through their vaults knowing that they can get someone to recycle the same old stuff over and over again and people will just buy it.  If you like instrumentals then the Parliaments and Darrell Banks is something for you and New York Soul, New Orleans Soul, Texas Soul & Soul Slab Vol 2 compilation LP's look quite interesting, but I think they all contain only previously released music.  The only one of real interest for me is the Super Disco Edits LP, which does have 5 formerly unreleased tracks.

Is it that with regards to Record Store Day, record companies have little respect for the Soul/Funk buyers?

It's because the licensing is getting next to impossible John. I would say 75% of the stuff in the major's vaults is unavailable these days. One company has a current block on ANY U.S. repertoire, another company won't licence anything unless they can access the original contracts (most of which are either lost or too expensive to locate or impossible to find in the archives) and there is a general logjam in most licensing areas which no longer have enough resources to meet demand. They're only interested in streaming now. Very sad.

Ian D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 16/03/2019 at 00:18, Benji said:

I'm fairly new to the RSD game. I understand that the Darrell Banks 45 can be ordered by german record stores too. Thought all the RSD releases are only available in the respective country?

Already huge demand. I don't know anyone who wouldn't want it. It's lucky it's even coming out since the copyright owner lost the isolated instrumental in an office move a couple of years back. Good job I keep all the masters I'm ever sent so at least I managed to retrieve it from a 2012 archive!

Ian D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I said this on the Nichelle Nichols thread but it’s worth repeating here I guess. Our shop is a RSD store and we’ll be taking part again this year. Under RSD rules (which are strictly enforced by ERA) we can’t sell any remaining stock online until 7 days after RSD. 

Last year we were able to supply collectors with the Third Man Frank Wilson release at the regular (ie non-scalper) RSD price. This year we’ve again ordered copies of all the releases of interest to soul/funk collectors - although the way allocations are made, we won’t know what we’ll actually get until closer to the time.

Anything that remains unsold on RSD will be available to buy in our physical shop, Record Revivals in Scarborough and will be offered to purchase here after the 7 day embargo period.

Watch this space...

www.recordrevivals.co.uk

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Reading most of the posts above I get the feeling that many are underwhelmed by the RSD 2019 offering. The Soul Brother show yesterday played a good overview of some of the Funk/Soul items being made available.  https://www.mixcloud.com/soulbrothersounds/soul-brother-selection-rsd-2019-preview-special-7th-april-2019/ 

Difficulty is finding a store locally to me that is likely to order a lot/any of the Funk/Soul items and with many limited to 500 pressings across the 200+ stores involved I do not fancy my chances but we will wait and see.   

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 hour ago, Soulfusion said:

Reading most of the posts above I get the feeling that many are underwhelmed by the RSD 2019 offering. The Soul Brother show yesterday played a good overview of some of the Funk/Soul items being made available.  https://www.mixcloud.com/soulbrothersounds/soul-brother-selection-rsd-2019-preview-special-7th-april-2019/ 

Difficulty is finding a store locally to me that is likely to order a lot/any of the Funk/Soul items and with many limited to 500 pressings across the 200+ stores involved I do not fancy my chances but we will wait and see.   

Darrel Banks instrumental, Cissy Houston, Alice Clark, Sharon Ridley are the picks for me,  good show by Soulbrother

I imagine their Ralph Graham exclusive will fly off the shelf it's not even listed on RSD website

Not sure why Candy Bowman is getting a re-issue given it's not expensive to own an original from discogs but that's just me

Edited by Shufflin
additional thoughts
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
7 minutes ago, Soulfusion said:

The Ralph Graham track is the flip side to the Sharon Ridley 7"

thanks for that, really want that one now

my nearest shop has them all according to RSD website but like you say we'll see if we can grab 'em

what will annoy me is if I see 'em on discogs the day after, I always black list soul music sellers/scalpers who do that

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
9 minutes ago, chalky said:

The Alice Clark has already had a release on BGP (Ace Records) and is still available, white vinyl too if memory serves

the appeal this time is this

Featuring original artwork, remastered sound plus a deluxe 20 page booklet telling the whole story for the first time.The booklet will include many never-seen jaw-dropping photos of the session by legendary NY jazz photographer Ray Ross plus an introduction by Shad' s grandchildren, film director and producer Judd Apatow and his sister, liner notes by New York music journalist Marcus J. Moore (Pitchfork, Bandcamp etc), a tribute by Clark' s grandson and a note by the session' s original engineer, Carmine Rubino. The booklet will also reveal most of the line up for the first time (the original LP didn' t contain any musician credit) making this set a long overdue hommage to one of the best Soul albums ever recorded.

Social source share

6 minutes ago, shufflin said:

the appeal this time is this

Featuring original artwork, remastered sound plus a deluxe 20 page booklet telling the whole story for the first time.The booklet will include many never-seen jaw-dropping photos of the session by legendary NY jazz photographer Ray Ross plus an introduction by Shad' s grandchildren, film director and producer Judd Apatow and his sister, liner notes by New York music journalist Marcus J. Moore (Pitchfork, Bandcamp etc), a tribute by Clark' s grandson and a note by the session' s original engineer, Carmine Rubino. The booklet will also reveal most of the line up for the first time (the original LP didn' t contain any musician credit) making this set a long overdue hommage to one of the best Soul albums ever recorded.

I was the first to contact Alice’s grandson and put him in touch with Ace and I’m pretty sure Dean Rudland said they had already done what they are claiming?

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
3 minutes ago, chalky said:

I was the first to contact Alice’s grandson and put him in touch with Ace and I’m pretty sure Dean Rudland said they had already done what they are claiming?

no idea Chalky just going off the stuff posted on RSD web site, was the Ace one a re-mastered version with all the bits now being advertised? if so I'll grab that one on white vinyl

Edited by Shufflin
spelling
Social source share

8 minutes ago, shufflin said:

no idea Chalky just going off the stuff posted on RSD web site, was the Ace one a re-mastered version with all the bits now being advertised? if so I'll grab that one on white vinyl

Not sure, its on their site.  I’m not trying to put you off buying it mind.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
15 minutes ago, chalky said:

Not sure, its on their site.  I’m not trying to put you off buying it mind.

the Ace one is a compilation of her work if I found the right white vinyl release, just looked, happy to be corrected, whereas the RSD one is the 1972 LP re-mastered with 20 page booklet etc (goes for £400+ in original form)

Social source share

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

As I've said before, once the seven day embargo is up we'll be offering up any remaining RSD on here and the Facebook groups at the regular RSD price. We'll also be limiting to one copy of any release per person. We never sell a vast amount of the soul/funk stuff on the day, but as we're a RSD shop, I just like to be able to offer the releases at non-scalper prices.

Cheers 👍 will be watching your site closely

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 08/04/2019 at 18:54, shufflin said:

thanks for that, really want that one now

my nearest shop has them all according to RSD website but like you say we'll see if we can grab 'em

what will annoy me is if I see 'em on discogs the day after, I always black list soul music sellers/scalpers who do that

Ltd press of 500, all individually hand numbered . Got last one stocked by Record Revivals,  no. 272/500

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

19 hours ago, andybellwood said:

Ltd press of 500, all individually hand numbered . Got last one stocked by Record Revivals,  no. 272/500

Was that you that bought the Sharon Ridley / Ralph Graham too? If so I think it was the other way round. Last SR - we have some DB left and if they don’t sell in the shop over the next week will be offered on her 7 days after RSD.

Cheers!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Was that you that bought the Sharon Ridley / Ralph Graham too? If so I think it was the other way round. Last SR - we have some DB left and if they don’t sell in the shop over the next week will be offered on her 7 days after RSD.

Cheers!

Yes indeed .

Great vibe at Record Revivals . Busy with queue outside door , yet quickly and efficiently served. 

DB inst., Sharon Ridley and Ralph Graham will get played on radio show tomoro . 

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

3 minutes ago, andybellwood said:

Yes indeed .

Great vibe at Record Revivals . Busy with queue outside door , yet quickly and efficiently served. 

DB inst., Sharon Ridley and Ralph Graham will get played on radio show tomoro . 

Good to chat to you albeit briefly Andy. Meant to say my copy of the Ralph Graham LP has a press sheet and promo photo in it too. It’s lovely :) 

Because I do RSD honestly, as it’s the only way to treat the customers respectfully, I missed out on the Sharon Ridley / Ralph Graham 45 myself though! 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

As usual, many pointless releases and who is supposed to have the money to lash out on all this stuff on a single day? Also the timing is poorly thought through - 13th of the month - 2-3 weeks from payday for most people.

I asked in a local shop a few weeks ago about the Alice Clark LP.

'Can I order it?'

'No. You've got to come in on the day.'

'So you'll be getting some copies in?'

'Don't know'

Honestly! Why would I waste my time? 

Social source share

21 minutes ago, JoeSoap said:

...and then the next day it's all on Discogs at fast-buck prices. What an utter p*sstake the whole thing is!🤨

some of the RSD prices are a bit fast buck too, not just the exploitation merchants later, how can they justify £40 for an Lp (Alice Clark)? Not just the AC either.  It is a con and a rip off.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, chalky said:

some of the RSD prices are a bit fast buck too, not just the exploitation merchants later, how can they justify £40 for an Lp (Alice Clark)? Not just the AC either.  It is a con and a rip off.  

7 hours ago, JoeSoap said:

As usual, many pointless releases and who is supposed to have the money to lash out on all this stuff on a single day? Also the timing is poorly thought through - 13th of the month - 2-3 weeks from payday for most people.

'Can I order it?'

'Don't know'

Sorry about the experience from your local shop. We send out lists of our stock to everyone on our mailing list early in the week of RSD. We can't do earlier than that as some stock arrives the very same week. 

I would suggest moving to Scarborough. We also have two lovely beaches and a castle... :)

Edited by Godzilla
typo!
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 14/04/2019 at 11:59, JoeSoap said:

...and then the next day it's all on Discogs at fast-buck prices. What an utter p*sstake the whole thing is!🤨

Our remaining RSD stock will sold online at RSD seven days after RSD as per ERA rules. If people decide that they can't wait and pay scalper prices, more fool them...

On 14/04/2019 at 12:24, chalky said:

Our Alice Clark LPs were £32. That's with our standard margin that pays for rent, staff etc and is based on the dealer price to us from the distribution companies. Any left seven days after RSD will be sold online at that price. Please don't blame the physical shops selling RSD product for the price, Chalky. Ta 😉

Edited by Godzilla
typo...
Social source share

The prices must vary, I though they were all the same. My daughter picked it up in Berwick St for £28.99. (Still pricey).

Mike

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Our remaining RSD stock will sold online at RSD seven days after RSD as per ERA rules. If people decide that they can't wait and pay scalper prices, more fool them...

Our Alice Clark LPs were £30. That's with our standard margin that pays for rent, staff etc and is based on the dealer price to us from the distribution companies. Any left seven days after RSD will be sold online at that price. Please don't blame the physical shops selling RSD product for the price, Chalky. Ta 😉

£40 was at several places. £30 is still a bit pricey IMO for an LP when I usually pay just over £20, Lee Fields and Kelly Finnegan just two at that price.

Social source share

On 14/04/2019 at 18:16, MikeHump said:

The prices must vary, I though they were all the same. My daughter picked it up in Berwick St for £28.99. (Still pricey).

Mike

I think you'll find a pint of milk varies from shop to shop Mike. And for reference the new Chemical Brothers LP is £31/32. Like I say, shop retail price depends on distributor price.. 😉

Edited by Godzilla
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I think you'll find a pint of milk varies from shop to shop Mike.

Fair point, and its not as if we don't have a choice. No one makes us buy records.

I can't believe the prices I've paid for stuff - completely illogical.

Regarding availability of certain tracks - I could find a copy of Kungs 7" anywhere.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, Godzilla said:

..and again... the shop doesn't  set the price!!

If it costs more than a normal album from the distributor, who base their price on what the label charges them, the shop has no choice but to pass that cost on. Can't believe I'm having to defend selling the Alice Clark Lp for £30 when people are saying that other places are charging £40!

Finding this pretty disheartening to be honest. I thought that offering remaining stock on here at the regular RSD price rather than scalper ebay/discogs prices would be seen as a decent thing to do and maybe the soul record buying community would respect that from one of their own. Apparently not the case.

I'll let the folks who messaged me know when stock is available after the embargo but won't bother posting a list on here. Thanks for your support guys...

I’m not blaming the shops far from it. It is those up the chain who are obviously the ones exploiting the market. Why do they feel the need to hike the prices for one days release?  Why not market at the usual prices?

i wouldn’t pay RSD prices so I’m certainly not paying hiked prices after by the scalpers. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

got the ones I wanted, a friend picked 'em up for me while I was away last few days, nice selection of sounds this year

Social source share

11 hours ago, JoeSoap said:

'Can I order it?'

'Don't know'

I quite agree.

Which is why I sent the wife.

Knew she'd come in useful one day.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Managed to get the Alice Clark LP, cost £38 mind, from the most local RSD store to me. Only other albums of note were the Irma Thomas LP at £18, The Al Green Hi Singles Box at £115ish and the Texas Soul collection at £32! Didn't get to the store until 1.30 so they may have others but the store (and area) not renowned for Funk and Soul music so happy I at least got he Alice Clark. 

@Godzilla Wish there was a store like yours where I live. Maybe need to plan a weekend to Scarborough next RSD. 

Social source share

I was lookking forward to this event and went in specially to Rough Trade Nottingham to purchase the latest Modern Soul Box set.

Was told they thought they had sold out, but couldn't tell me how many they had received, and they could not order any.

Had I not bought the Colemine LP box set it would have been a wasted journey really.

Also noted in recent months that their Soul CD section is being neglected with few if any new releases.  

No wonder we are turning to on-line shopping.

Social source share

15 hours ago, Godzilla said:

..and again... the shop doesn't  set the price!!

If it costs more than a normal album from the distributor, who base their price on what the label charges them, the shop has no choice but to pass that cost on. Can't believe I'm having to defend selling the Alice Clark Lp for £30 when people are saying that other places are charging £40!

Finding this pretty disheartening to be honest. I thought that offering remaining stock on here at the regular RSD price rather than scalper ebay/discogs prices would be seen as a decent thing to do and maybe the soul record buying community would respect that from one of their own. Apparently not the case.

I'll let the folks who messaged me know when stock is available after the embargo but won't bother posting a list on here. Thanks for your support guys...

Godz, keep at it, am sure that many like myself appreciate you sharing your uk 'real store owner' viewpoint on here with things like this 👍

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!