Record Store day 2019

2 hours ago, mike said:

Godz, keep at it, am sure that many like myself appreciate you sharing your uk 'real store owner' viewpoint on here with things like this 👍

Yeah, sorry I was a bit tired yesterday as we opened 10-3 when we’re usually closed Sundays. Apologies to all if I seemed defensive - I’m not usually that thin-skinned! 

We did a decent amount of trade with people who couldn’t make it on Saturday, but also spent loads of time answering phone calls, emails, social media messages to people asking have you got this release, can I pay over the phone. Most accept the RSD rules when you explain them fully. There’s always the odd one though, of course...

On Saturday the atmosphere was amazing and the spirit and camaraderie of the folks in the queue was lovely to see. We only got 2 people who were unhappy: one bloke who had phoned at 8, then driven from Bridlington (30 mins) to find the last copy of his want had been sold in the interim. The other was a woman via Facebook who was unable to get to the shop but got increasingly angry that I couldn’t  reserve her want, to the extent that I had to remind her it was just a bloody record, not a matter of life or death.

Her parting shot was “Prince would not like this!” 

Hard to argue with that I guess, but I did make the point that he’d probably more miffed about being dead...  😄

Edited by Godzilla
typo!
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

2 minutes ago, chalky said:

think we all appreciate what shops do and in no way was I having a dig at Godz, it is those above, the distributors and the record companies.

Cheers mate! Just said I was knackered yesterday and have offered apologies  if I seemed a bit snappy. Equally we really appreciate the business that soul fans bring. Scooter run to Scarborough this Easter weekend and a Record Fair too, so I would imagine we’ll shift a fair amount of our remaining RSD stock. 😉

• Up vote 3
Social source share

The CD sections are being neglected because of the so-called vinyls revival, which was something of a damp squib last year, though the record companies, backed by the media, are seriously stepping up their campaign this year. Somebody said to me recently, we won you lost. I thought he was a fanatical brexiteer and, as with brexit, we've all lost.  

Social source share

18 minutes ago, stevesilktulip said:

The CD sections are being neglected because of the so-called vinyls revival, which was something of a damp squib last year, though the record companies, backed by the media, are seriously stepping up their campaign this year. Somebody said to me recently, we won you lost. I thought he was a fanatical brexiteer and, as with brexit, we've all lost.  

Interesting point. It’s frustrating to hear the media and the music industry claiming the CD is dead as a format. From our experience it’s to the contrary, as we have loads of customers with no inclination to go back to vinyl and no interest in streaming services.

it’s the more niche stuff that sells for us on CD: notstalgia 50s/69s, jazz, folk and some classic rock. I guess the current/ indie buyers are the ones buying vinyl or streaming. Or both...

I’m not sure if it’s been discussed on here already, but one of the biggest factors in the decline of CD sales has been the auto industry’s decision to stop fitting CD players in cars. It’ll be frustrating and saddening if the car makers are ultimately responsible for the end of CDs. 

Social source share

47 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

Cheers mate! Just said I was knackered yesterday and have offered apologies  if I seemed a bit snappy. Equally we really appreciate the business that soul fans bring. Scooter run to Scarborough this Easter weekend and a Record Fair too, so I would imagine we’ll shift a fair amount of our remaining RSD stock. 😉

Yep . Seems there’s plenty on in Scarborough over Easter weekend . My old mates (Jay Cee) mod band , 5.15s at Apollo’s Friday night , same night Northern Soul at Wilson’s pub and Small Fakers at Spa (part of vfm’s weekend Scooter event which includes Custom show , parts fair etc on Sat) . Then there’s Sat & Sunday at The Cask https://www.soul-source.co.uk/calendar/event/60962-easter-weekender-at-the-cask/

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, andybellwood said:

Yep . Seems there’s plenty on in Scarborough over Easter weekend . My old mates (Jay Cee) mod band , 5.15s at Apollo’s Friday night , same night Northern Soul at Wilson’s pub and Small Fakers at Spa (part of vfm’s weekend Scooter event which includes Custom show , parts fair etc on Sat) . Then there’s Sat & Sunday at The Cask https://www.soul-source.co.uk/calendar/event/60962-easter-weekender-at-the-cask/

It's the place to be for sure! :)
We were supposed be seeing Corduroy in York Sat but it's been pulled, which is a bummer. Joe Jackson Manchester Sunday though, so not all is lost :)

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I’m not sure if it’s been discussed on here already, but one of the biggest factors in the decline of CD sales has been the auto industry’s decision to stop fitting CD players in cars. It’ll be frustrating and saddening if the car makers are ultimately responsible for the end of CDs. 

It's the same with desktop computers and even laptops. Increasingly they're manufactured without a DVD/CD drive on the presumption we're all streaming music, TV and films.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Happier this afternoon. On my works travels today passed a store I knew was participating in RSD and managed to get:

Sharon Ridley/Ralph Graham 7"

The Modulations 7"

Darrell Banks 7" (they had about 10 copies of this left!)😮

Northern Soul 7" Box

(Not So :wink:) Modern Soul 7" Box

That just leaves the Albert Washington LP, the Kirk Franklin 7" and Garfield Fleming 12"....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
6 hours ago, Godzilla said:

it’s the more niche stuff that sells for us on CD: notstalgia 50s/69s, jazz, folk and some classic rock. I guess the current/ indie buyers are the ones buying vinyl or streaming. Or both...

lot of modern soul is on CD not on vinyl, still buy CD's for the modern stuff, have a decent yamaha cd separate system and sound is much better than streaming can achieve (even if the sounds are available to stream, lots aren't)

Social source share

8 hours ago, Godzilla said:

No need to apologise, should've made it clearer who I was referring to initially.

I hope you did well out of it and Scarboro is equally a success.

I visited three shops but they had bugger all soul in apart from the box set at 70 odd quid and the Parliaments 10" disc.

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shufflin

for anyone who missed out, some are popping up for sale now, e.g., Juno has the fantastic Ralph Graham 45 available

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
3 minutes ago, Scootboy said:

Juno has the reissue with the large hole,

same songs but different release 😉

I got the RSD one but to be honest they are released so close to each other people shouldn't worry about ovo type stuff

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Scootboy said:

The only available copy of Sharon Ridley at discogs now is £400

Are the demos not real?  I notice the issue is from a UK seller 😉 

There is the Lp as well.

My point being with so much stuff in the vaults why not dig into that for RSD rather than straight forward reissues/Lp tracks?

Social source share

The promo doesn't have Where Did You Learn To Make Love The Way You Do

I mainly buy 7", I'll buy an album if it has a 7" inside 😉 

I was happy this year, some good 7" releases, I really liked the Nichelle Nichols, sound quality is excellent,

Ronnie McNeir's also excellent

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Scootboy said:

The promo doesn't have Where Did You Learn To Make Love The Way You Do

I mainly buy 7", I'll buy an album if it has a 7" inside 😉 

I was happy this year, some good 7" releases, I really liked the Nichelle Nichols, sound quality is excellent,

Ronnie McNeir's also excellent

Ha, never noticed what's was on the promo

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
30 minutes ago, Chalky said:

My point being with so much stuff in the vaults why not dig into that for RSD rather than straight forward reissues/Lp tracks?

that's a fair point and 'first time on 45' does seem to be a thing now

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
4 minutes ago, Chalky said:

it does and I doubt anyone serious about their music would go to do a set with the Ralph Graham 45, I would expect to see the LP.

don't disagree, but then again...I'm not  a DJ, DJ policy isn't something I worry about, collecting is a different thing

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

Got quite a bit......but need an Alice Clark LP, and a Ronnie Mc 7" which I wasn't even aware of until someone posted a photo of it after the event!

You can't miss things like that Shirley Finney LP can you????

Cheers,
Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Mark R said:

Git quite a bit......need an Alice Clark LP, and a Ronnie Mc 7" which I wasn't even aware of until someone posted a photo of it after the event!

Cheers,
Mark R

We still have the Ronnie McNeir 45 in stock. 

info@recordrevivals.co.uk

Or come to sunny Scarborough for the bank hols! :) 

Social source share

36 minutes ago, Mark R said:

Git quite a bit......need an Alice Clark LP, and a Ronnie Mc 7" which I wasn't even aware of until someone posted a photo of it after the event!

Cheers,
Mark R

I want an Alice Clark too.

Did Ronnie’s My Baby have an original release? I know the other side is an Lp track. 

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Did Ronnie’s My Baby have an original release? I know the other side is an Lp track. 

I don't know mate.....It's "Hold On" I want it for, got the LP, but........

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I see predictably that Kungs abortion is sold out at Juno.  I couldn't have even brought myself to buy one to sell on at an inflated price somewhere down the line!!  LOLOL

The new Tribute..........

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

the Alice Clark LP is another standout for me, the amount of work they put into this release is amazing, what a great RSD this was for soul collectors

Social source share

I see predictably that Kungs abortion is sold out at Juno.  I couldn't have even brought myself to buy one to sell on at an inflated price somewhere down the line!!  LOLOL

Chortle, none available in London on the day. I eventually got one online. Purely for completist purposes you'll understand!!

Hump

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
6 hours ago, TOAD said:

well that's the last time i do RSD..sorry but the one's I bought on the day are at least £2 cheaper on line..and the lps £10ish..

not the Alice Clark one though, that's now worth £70-£110 so anyone who got that on RSDS is quids in (not interested in selling mine)

Social source share

21 hours ago, Shufflin said:

not the Alice Clark one though, that's now worth £70-£110 so anyone who got that on RSDS is quids in (not interested in selling mine)

Have you seen it sold for those prices?  They might be on Discogs at the prices you state but they are still there, unsold. The highest it has sold for on Discogs in £34.  You can also buy it on line for less than £30 if you look around.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
4 hours ago, Chalky said:

Have you seen it sold for those prices?  

nope, but doesn't discogs take a while for sales to filter through though?

don't approve of scalping full stop so hopefully they don't sell that high

Social source share

1 hour ago, Shufflin said:

nope, but doesn't discogs take a while for sales to filter through though?

don't approve of scalping full stop so hopefully they don't sell that high

Sales updated when fees are paid each month but any sold would no longer show

Social source share

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:18, Shufflin said:

That's a reissue anyway!

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
13 hours ago, TOAD said:

That's a reissue anyway!

yes it is, kind of, and someone has paid nearly £70 for one so far

so that is one LP where you would not have found it readily available & cheaper after RSD, that's all I'm saying

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

but....as a collector...see below...reason enough to get one imo

plus it's not the same as the kent LP as I've tried to explain before, I'm not here to defend it, it's just a nice LP to own, I'm assuming everyone who wants one has one by now, as Chalky said previously they are easy to come by for £30 🙂

image.thumb.png.58ccf1a238de4261f22f1afe538b7830.png

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!