mellorful

Record Store day 2019

You really think there will be huge demand for the instrumental? I don't.

I'm fairly new to the RSD game. I understand that the Darrell Banks 45 can be ordered by german record stores too. Thought all the RSD releases are only available in the respective country?

I posted this in the Nichelle Nichols thread.  As someone who buys new and old releases in all formats from both online and in physical shops, looking through the releases unlike other genres I think this is again another poor year for people who collect Funk/Soul.  More laziness of the record companies, with straight reissues of LP's just on different coloured vinyl, singles box sets containing already released 7" material and previously released LP tracks on 7" or 12" formats.  There are things to be found or these smaller labels wouldn't be releasing both new and unlreleased stuff on vinyl throughout the year or is it that companies like Warmers, Sony or Universal have nothing in their vaults or have no real interest looking through their vaults knowing that they can get someone to recycle the same old stuff over and over again and people will just buy it.  If you like instrumentals then the Parliaments and Darrell Banks is something for you and New York Soul, New Orleans Soul, Texas Soul & Soul Slab Vol 2 compilation LP's look quite interesting, but I think they all contain only previously released music.  The only one of real interest for me is the Super Disco Edits LP, which does have 5 formerly unreleased tracks.

Is it that with regards to Record Store Day, record companies have little respect for the Soul/Funk buyers?

Edited by John Reed

Looking through the list again it seems like an excuse to exploit the collectors of their hard earned.  Very little of interest, spurious claims on the Alice Clark Lp, other tracks that are not even rare even if one does have a pointless instrumental on the flip.  Only one of interest to me is the Super Disco Edits Lp.

As there are no local stores in Derby involved I made enquiries at one of the Mansfield stores listed as being involved on the RSD website. I was told under no circumstance could I pre-order the Darrell Banks single and would have to turn up on the day and hope that a) they had decided to order it and b) even if I phoned and they had a copy under no circumstance could I reserve one. Therefore I would have to turn up in person and take a chance. I only want it for the instrumental side and as much as I rate the song I'm not sure a 40 mile round trip up the A38 is worth it. Which leaves me at the mercy of the scalpers or pushes me into the dubious practice of carvers.

14 hours ago, John Reed said:

I posted this in the Nichelle Nichols thread.  As someone who buys new and old releases in all formats from both online and in physical shops, looking through the releases unlike other genres I think this is again another poor year for people who collect Funk/Soul.  More laziness of the record companies, with straight reissues of LP's just on different coloured vinyl, singles box sets containing already released 7" material and previously released LP tracks on 7" or 12" formats.  There are things to be found or these smaller labels wouldn't be releasing both new and unlreleased stuff on vinyl throughout the year or is it that companies like Warmers, Sony or Universal have nothing in their vaults or have no real interest looking through their vaults knowing that they can get someone to recycle the same old stuff over and over again and people will just buy it.  If you like instrumentals then the Parliaments and Darrell Banks is something for you and New York Soul, New Orleans Soul, Texas Soul & Soul Slab Vol 2 compilation LP's look quite interesting, but I think they all contain only previously released music.  The only one of real interest for me is the Super Disco Edits LP, which does have 5 formerly unreleased tracks.

Is it that with regards to Record Store Day, record companies have little respect for the Soul/Funk buyers?

It's because the licensing is getting next to impossible John. I would say 75% of the stuff in the major's vaults is unavailable these days. One company has a current block on ANY U.S. repertoire, another company won't licence anything unless they can access the original contracts (most of which are either lost or too expensive to locate or impossible to find in the archives) and there is a general logjam in most licensing areas which no longer have enough resources to meet demand. They're only interested in streaming now. Very sad.

Ian D

On 16/03/2019 at 00:18, Benji said:

You really think there will be huge demand for the instrumental? I don't.

I'm fairly new to the RSD game. I understand that the Darrell Banks 45 can be ordered by german record stores too. Thought all the RSD releases are only available in the respective country?

Already huge demand. I don't know anyone who wouldn't want it. It's lucky it's even coming out since the copyright owner lost the isolated instrumental in an office move a couple of years back. Good job I keep all the masters I'm ever sent so at least I managed to retrieve it from a 2012 archive!

Ian D

I said this on the Nichelle Nichols thread but it’s worth repeating here I guess. Our shop is a RSD store and we’ll be taking part again this year. Under RSD rules (which are strictly enforced by ERA) we can’t sell any remaining stock online until 7 days after RSD. 

Last year we were able to supply collectors with the Third Man Frank Wilson release at the regular (ie non-scalper) RSD price. This year we’ve again ordered copies of all the releases of interest to soul/funk collectors - although the way allocations are made, we won’t know what we’ll actually get until closer to the time.

Anything that remains unsold on RSD will be available to buy in our physical shop, Record Revivals in Scarborough and will be offered to purchase here after the 7 day embargo period.

Watch this space...

www.recordrevivals.co.uk

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts