Jump to content
  • Sign Up
speedlimit

All over FB. Record Thief

Recommended Posts

Just a heads up apparently  a well known former promoter is being persuade for stealing records from several record shops in the states. I hope this does not have any repercussions on fellow Brits visiting the shops. How the hell this guy thinks he can get through security at the airport I don't know. I'm sure the appropriate authorities have been informed  .

 

 

Comments guy's and gals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, speedlimit said:

Just a heads up apparently  a well known former promoter is being persuade for stealing records from several record shops in the states. I hope this does not have any repercussions on fellow Brits visiting the shops. How the hell this guy thinks he can get through security at the airport I don't know. I'm sure the appropriate authorities have been informed  .

 

 

Comments guy's and gals

this for real?

an accusation of something criminal about someone without any name

then a mention about what appears to be a small facebook group

all seems a bit off to me

can we have some real facts or gonna have to close/remove it

thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would prefer it if the topic remained open to be honest Mike.

Think it would be wise however to see how the story unfolds over on FB to prevent any possible libel implications here on SS which is what I'm sure you are thinking of.

If the accusations are in fact proved true then the story will need spreading far and wide including here on Soul Source but until then it's probably best to back off and let the torch and pitchfork crowd get on with it elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy concerned is visiting shops in the US, has allegedly stolen from at least one store and has advertised them under his name and a known alias on selling groups on facebook.  Don Parker, one of the victims (allegedly) has identified some of the records as his and they do look identical, same markings BB holes etc.  It isn't just a small group on facebook, it is all over facebook.  He has done or tried the same (allegedly) in other stores across Ohio. 

There was other reports of his behaviour a few months ago too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northern lights in Brooklyn NY have also said he was the one who stole from them 6 months ago.  He was the primary suspect which they say was confirmed when they saw the missing records being sold under his name or his alias.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mike said:

Have had a few concerns about this topic passed up 

For now will leave it open and look at things say in 12/24 hrs time

Ask if you are gonna add to it then can you make sure that what you add is actually factual as in rock solid facts

thanks

mike

 

 

 

 

Can we add the links or will they be removed "for Legal reasons"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Can we add the links or will they be removed "for Legal reasons"

 no links please 

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just contacted one of the record dealers in the States who has had records stolen. He has inventoried his stock and identified a large number of missing records. Many of these have apparently been advertised by a British based seller who has used an alias.

Record theft is a scumbag’s crime. I hope the person who has committed this act is fully exposed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chriscarnahan2 said:

I 100% believe this story to be true -- as mentioned above, he came to my store back in September and some records went missing during his visit. You guys seem concerned about UK libel laws so let's just call him ''. He came to the store two days in a row and was there for quite some time(probably 10 hours altogether) looking through the 45s eventually purchasing a decent amount of $1-5 45s. 

There is a section high up on the wall(probably 7-8 feet from the ground) of the store where we have about 25 "rare" 45s displayed that are in varying states of unplayability(broken/cracked/warped/Z- condition/etc). It's not necessarily obvious to a customer that these records are destroyed but why else would we have records worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars just stuck on our wall? Anyhow, a few days after his visit I noticed something strange when I walked in -- there were 2 records up on that section of the wall that were not supposed to be there. Both were Tamla singles & had come from our dollar bin. We deduced that the 2 missing records were Nat Hall on Loop & Bobby Treetop on Tuff and that someone had climbed up on the racks, taken them off and replaced them with other 45s from the store which had the same color labels(yellow). 

Of course, '' was the prime suspect from the jump -- he actually inquired about the Nat Hall while he was here and there were moments where he was unsupervised in the store enough to pull this off. Additionally, we do have video cameras in the store but I frankly couldn't be bothered to sit through ~10 hours of footage to find the one moment where he jumped up there and took them(especially considering that the records were essentially worthless). A few weeks later, the subject came up again in the store and it was theorized that he was probably showing the records off on social media(what else could you do with broken rarities?!) Sure enough, he had the Nat Hall 45 as his profile picture on his Facebook account! Of course, he was careful to cover up the broken part of the record in the photo.

He did go in and out of the store a number of times while he was here and on 2 occasions, brought boxes of records in to trade/sell(just like he did in the Ohio stores). The assumption is that he smuggled the records out with those boxes. He also requested to see more expensive 45s and was denied(thankfully). I did message him via FB afterwards and he denied knowing anything about it of course. Since it was mostly a matter of principle and I wasn't out any real money, I dropped the subject until I heard about these posts from the Ohio stores which I knew right away must be true.

 

Well that certainly lets the cat out of the bag. Have you alerted the authorities so he could be arrested if returning to the States?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mike said:

 no links please 

thanks

Can we name him and his alias, I seriously think others should be alerted with regard to this.  If he hasn't done anything then he can clear his name.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Would prefer it if the topic remained open to be honest Mike.

Think it would be wise however to see how the story unfolds over on FB to prevent any possible libel implications here on SS which is what I'm sure you are thinking of.

If the accusations are in fact proved true then the story will need spreading far and wide including here on Soul Source but until then it's probably best to back off and let the torch and pitchfork crowd get on with it elsewhere.

This is why I didn't name anyone involved as only limited information at the time of posting . Didn't want any legal repercussions . Only wanted people whom buy sound's to be wary . We will see. What happens .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, chalky said:

Can we name him and his alias, I seriously think others should be alerted with regard to this.  If he hasn't done anything then he can clear his name.

Only post names if you have factual proof of such acts that can post/share at the same time.

If you are accusing anyone of a criminal act online then you should have facts etc to back it up

Once any accusations are posted on here and once the site is aware of them, then the site may also be responsible as well as the member for the posting of them.

Therefore if you do post criminal accusations we do have to insist that you also post solid facts to support the accusations otherwise the post will be removed once we are aware.

mike - site owner

 

 

Edited by mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok Mike I think enough people  now know. About this and to he wary of purchasing anything from the person it's the talk of the record bar amongst sellers and buyers at the Weekender I'm attending and I've not said a word  . So I think on that note we could close the topic ((

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Well that certainly lets the cat out of the bag. Have you alerted the authorities so he could be arrested if returning to the States?

Well, he's in the United States right now(was in Columbus OH a few days ago). I did not contact the police mainly because what was stolen was of negligible value but Parker's Records & Comics(look them up on Facebook to see their story -- apparently he stole hundreds of 45s from them) has filed a police report against him.

Edited by chriscarnahan2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, chriscarnahan2 said:

apparently he stole hundreds of 45s from them

This may be a dumb question, but how does somebody steal 100's of 45's without being seen ?. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chriscarnahan2 said:

Well, he's in the United States right now(was in Columbus OH a few days ago). I did not contact the police mainly because what was stolen was of negligible value but Parker's Records & Comics(look them up on Facebook to see their story -- apparently he stole hundreds of 45s from them) has filed a police report against him.

Thanks for this Chris. I’ve just emailed a contact in a Columbus store to be on the lookout. Hopefully word will spread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys theft is theft - if someone who believes they've had something stolen contacts the old bill in the states he's got to check out when he goes trough passport control when leaving - if no one complains and he leaves on the plane - he got nothing to answer for - no matter how much hes suppose to do this and that etc etc 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

15 hours ago, chalky said:

Can we name him and his alias, I seriously think others should be alerted with regard to this.  If he hasn't done anything then he can clear his name.

Or maybe would could have some clues to his identity!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the relatively small and close world of the serious collecter ,dealer or  and promoter ,how many are actually in the states at the mo? and if this person  on the facebook groups dealing in rare soul ..............everyone will know who it is soon enough..................the question i ask is ,is this an aberation or has this guy been shafting people for years and just been caught now ?..........the first time you get caught is always the first time you did the crime ...........i think not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ezzie brown said:

in the relatively small and close world of the serious collecter ,dealer or  and promoter ,how many are actually in the states at the mo? and if this person  on the facebook groups dealing in rare soul ..............everyone will know who it is soon enough..................the question i ask is ,is this an aberation or has this guy been shafting people for years and just been caught now ?..........the first time you get caught is always the first time you did the crime ...........i think not

It isn't the first time allegations have been cast his way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

hi chalky........ i have no idea who it is so any comments i make are posed without anyone individual in mind..........crossed above post with this ................so i say no more on this...............

Edited by ezzie brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

Hey guys theft is theft - if someone who believes they've had something stolen contacts the old bill in the states he's got to check out when he goes trough passport control when leaving - if no one complains and he leaves on the plane - he got nothing to answer for - no matter how much hes suppose to do this and that etc etc 

 

Not quite. If he has committed crimes in multiple States, it becomes a Federal offence and of interest to the F.B.I. As he has allegedly stolen records in New York and Ohio States, he could be apprehended before he reaches U.S Customs. He was recently in the Rochester area of New York State, perhaps heading for an airport. If the dealers in America act swiftly, the thief could be stopped with the evidence of his crimes in his possession.

Anyone on here known to I Spy For The F.B.I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this the same guy who is/was involved with a case of “missing”records from another promoter here in the uk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok as the discussion has moved on and the topic concerns serious criminal accusations am going to close this for now

if anything factual does comes up on this matter then by all means feel free to post it up as a new topic... 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Adverts

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.