Mike's profile photo

weekenders - event guide criteria?

Site Stuff Mike

Posted

trying to come up with a workable 'criteria' for the weekender section of our event guide 

we get a wide range of events using the weekender section from the traditional 'big' type events to smaller events spread over the same town/city etc 

so asking what do you expect from a event being billed as a weekender?

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

Mike.  For me a weekender is any event spread over Fri, Sat and Sunday and at the same venue although many Will disagree with the venue definition.  

Steve 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
13 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mike.  For me a weekender is any event spread over Fri, Sat and Sunday and at the same venue although many Will disagree with the venue definition.  

Steve 

Good start to this debate . 

Some Euro ‘weekenders’ etc wouldn’t meet this criteria as they are sometimes at different venues on Frid , Sat & Sunday in a particular City . 

Perhaps an alternative suggestion might include ‘events promoted under the same heading, by the same promoter,  from Friday to Sunday inclusive ‘ ?

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

If there are three venues as is the case for many then I think there should be one fee to cover all the different venues. Otherwise they are just three soul nights or niters. 

soul source url
Posted

I think that if you buy a single ticket for a weekender that is promoted by the same person/people and this ticket admits you to everything on offer under that weekender's banner then that makes it a weekender.  I think 3 seperate tickets for 3 separate soul nights under banner of a weekender is wrong. As Chalky says... they are just 3 soul nights. 

Dave 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

thanks for input so far

what trying to come up with is a simple 'criteria' that works well for the soul punters, promoters and the guide 

few points to throw in the mix

we do get 'free' weekenders which may make the ticket criteria difficult

2 nites - some just consist of 2 nites , say friday and saturday 

sub-weekenders - a major weekender in a  town, then we have someone else puts on 2 or 3 nites in one venue in the same town and then calls it a seperate weekender

scale - should attendence numbers make a difference ?

soul source url
Posted

Why the need to define what a "weekender" is and isn't? If promoters wish to brand their event as such then surely that's entirely down to them. And from there it's down to potential punters to decide if the event appeals to them or not.

And do bear in mind that any definition of what makes a weekender would only apply to Soul Source and not the myriad of other platforms through which such things are promoted - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Creating a narrow definition and thus not allowing some events to promote themselves on here as weekenders will only alienate those doing the organising and reduce the value of Soul Source as a place to reach the soul market.

Having run the Facebook group, the European Soul Club Network (a listing of "mainland" European soul events) for something like five years, I can say with certainty that weekenders come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Some, like our own event in Amsterdam, takes place over two days (three events: one on Friday and two on Saturday). Acknowledging that it's not a full weekend, we (and others who do similar - D-Town Soul Club in Düsseldorf, for example) brand it as a "mini weekender".

Also, there's a goodly number of weekender goers who very much like the two-day format as it gives them the time to do the sightseeing they might want to in a town/city they might not have visited before while not feeling as if they're not getting maximum value out of the weekender event itself.

Some events take place over four days (Thursday to Sunday). Clearly, that's more than a weekender, but I don't think there's a single punter out there who would object to the word being applied to the event as a whole.

There are, as andybellwood points out, highly respected European weekenders that use different venues for each of their events (Copenhagen Soul Weekender is a perfect example). Although not "soul" related, in Amsterdam there's the successful Reggae Recipe Weekender, which runs something like four events over three days and uses various locations. 

My point is that firstly, defining a weekender as an event that's held in the same venue is erroneous.

Second, defining a weekender in strict terms is problematic: as said, "weekenders" come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Third, if promoters organise a number of events in one town/city over some or all of the weekend (oh, and is Friday actually the weekend? Technically it's not) and choose to charge punters entry into each event separately and not as a whole event then that's down to them. Taking such an approach to ticketing is rather nonsensical as far as I'm concerned, but that doesn't mean the multiple events as a whole don't make for a weekender.

My own interpretation of a weekender is any number of events (beyond one) taking place under the same promotional banner in the same town/city over more than one day.

And again, potential punters are quite able to determine for themselves whether they personally consider an event to be a "weekender" or not, and whether the package being offered by the promoters does or doesn't appeal.

So why not let them be the judge and let any event marketed as a weekender on Soul Source stand or fall based on its reputation and not a contrived definition of what a weekender is or isn't. 

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Why the need to define what a "weekender" is and isn't? If promoters wish to brand their event as such then surely that's entirely down to them. And from there it's down to potential punters to decide if the event appeals to them or not.

And do bear in mind that any definition of what makes a weekender would only apply to Soul Source and not the myriad of other platforms through which such things are promoted - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Creating a narrow definition and thus not allowing some events to promote themselves on here as weekenders will only alienate those doing the organising and reduce the value of Soul Source as a place to reach the soul market.

Having run the Facebook group, the European Soul Club Network (a listing of "mainland" European soul events) for something like five years, I can say with certainty that weekenders come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Some, like our own event in Amsterdam, takes place over two days (three events: one on Friday and two on Saturday). Acknowledging that it's not a full weekend, we (and others who do similar - D-Town Soul Club in Düsseldorf, for example) brand it as a "mini weekender".

Also, there's a goodly number of weekender goers who very much like the two-day format as it gives them the time to do the sightseeing they might want to in a town/city they might not have visited before while not feeling as if they're not getting maximum value out of the weekender event itself.

Some events take place over four days (Thursday to Sunday). Clearly, that's more than a weekender, but I don't think there's a single punter out there who would object to the word being applied to the event as a whole.

There are, as andybellwood points out, highly respected European weekenders that use different venues for each of their events (Copenhagen Soul Weekender is a perfect example). Although not "soul" related, in Amsterdam there's the successful Reggae Recipe Weekender, which runs something like four events over three days and uses various locations. 

My point is that firstly, defining a weekender as an event that's held in the same venue is erroneous.

Second, defining a weekender in strict terms is problematic: as said, "weekenders" come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Third, if promoters organise a number of events in one town/city over some or all of the weekend (oh, and is Friday actually the weekend? Technically it's not) and choose to charge punters entry into each event separately and not as a whole event then that's down to them. Taking such an approach to ticketing is rather nonsensical as far as I'm concerned, but that doesn't mean the multiple events as a whole don't make for a weekender.

My own interpretation of a weekender is any number of events (beyond one) taking place under the same promotional banner in the same town/city over more than one day.

And again, potential punters are quite able to determine for themselves whether they personally consider an event to be a "weekender" or not, and whether the package being offered by the promoters does or doesn't appeal.

So why not let them be the judge and let any event marketed as a weekender on Soul Source stand or fall based on its reputation and not a contrived definition of what a weekender is or isn't. 

the definition of event types is needed as the event guide is structured

we have different guides for different event types

by having this structure  members  know where to go and read for relevant event info, promoters will know where to post their event info

the  structure also allows us to  tailor the delivery of the info depending on the type of event 

for this structure to work we do need to be able to state simple easy to understand 'criteria' for all the event types 

most are fairly self explanatory,  however the weekender one can be problematic, hence why am asking members what do they expect when they read 'weekender'

soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, mike said:

the definition of event types is needed as the event guide is structured

we have different guides for different event types

by having this structure  members  know where to go and read for relevant event info, promoters will know where to post their event info

the  structure also allows us to  tailor the delivery of the info depending on the type of event 

for this structure to work we do need to be able to state simple easy to understand 'criteria' for all the event types 

most are fairly self explanatory,  however the weekender one can be problematic, hence why am asking members what do they expect when they read 'weekender'

Sure, I understand all of that, and commented accordingly. To my mind - as both a potential punter and an organiser - if an event has the word "weekender" in it, and/or is promoted as such, then that's the only criteria that matters from my point of view. Therefore any event promoted as a weekender should be categorised as a weekender in the Soul Source event listings. Certainly that's my thinking.

soul source url
Posted
18 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Sure, I understand all of that, and commented accordingly. To my mind - as both a potential punter and an organiser - if an event has the word "weekender" in it, and/or is promoted as such, then that's the only criteria that matters from my point of view. Therefore any event promoted as a weekender should be categorised as a weekender in the Soul Source event listings. Certainly that's my thinking.

ok thanks for passing on your take Russ, appreciated

as said am after views from members on 'what do they expect when they read 'weekender'' so keep them coming...

soul source url
Posted

I'm too old, too tired and too grumpy to venture out much these days but 'weekenders' that are at multiple venues are just individual soul nights / nighters in my mind and very confusing to boot. 

soul source url
Posted

any more views?

soul source url
Posted

ok thanks to all who took part above

gonna put the stricter criteria idea on hold and keep things as they are

as in look at each one as its submitted 

if it's felt a deliberate attempt to 'game' the guide then can act/confirm

if it walks and quacks like a weekender then should be ok

thanks 

mike

• Up vote 2

soul source url

Site Stuff - Support Forum

Site related support and feedback forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.