MotownSoulMan profile photo

Question To The Site Owners, Admins or Moderators.

Site Stuff MotownSoulMan

Posted

As a .co.uk site, does this site work FULLY worldwide?. 

A fair amount of Web Sites, that I have attempted to access both in the UK, and abroad won't allow access. I forget the error message that usually comes up on my browser, but it's something like, access denied, or you don't have permission to enter this site in your country.

Now I know that sometimes the use of something called a VPN (whatever that really is) can solve the problem, but i've not really got a clue how to use such a think properly.

The reason I ask is because "She Who Must Be Obeyed" and I are planning a month long holiday later in the year as a present to ourselves for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary, and I would really like to stay in touch with what's going on whilst absent from the UK.

If off the top of your swede you don't know, would you please find out?.

Regards Mike.

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

should be no probs

we have many active members worldwide as can be seen via our membermap here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/membermap/

I'd say a lot of the 'no access' type messages you may be getting are due to legal concerns such as copyright, privacy etc etc

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for that Mike.

You may be correct as far as copyright is concerned, unless of course you are in China or North Korea etc.

Either way, i'll be trying it when the time comes, and will report back whether it works or not, and if a solution is found in the event it don't work straight outta the box.

soul source url
Posted

Most VPN cost, there are free but they tend to slow down your connection to encourage you to upgrade to the paid version.  They hide your IP address, bounce you off a server so that you are sort of invisible.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

My site is a .co.uk and works worldwide according to the site stats

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Thanks  for that @chalky I noticed when I looked at VPN apps a few minutes ago, that they can hide this, that and the other, not that i'm in any way concerned with hiding my ip, or anything else for that matter, because I have absolutely no sensitive information on this phone whatsoever. I can only assume that the reason they can allegedly allow access to otherwise "blocked sites" is by conning the system into thinking you are elsewhere in the world. As for cost, I was just told that you get what you pay for, so I would think that a paid for app would be far better than one of the free ones offered on play store. As for connection speeds, I had worked that one out for myself, as going through one app, to access another, namely the browser I use, has to slow things up a bit. @mikethinks that I should be OK, and if your own site works worldwide, then there's a fair chance I should be OK. I'll soon find out when we go on holiday, and if it turns out I can't access this site, then so be it, and i'll have to keep my cakehole shut for a while.

soul source url
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MotownSoulMan said:

Thanks  for that @chalky I noticed when I looked at VPN apps a few minutes ago, that they can hide this, that and the other, not that i'm in any way concerned with hiding my ip, or anything else for that matter, because I have absolutely no sensitive information on this phone whatsoever. I can only assume that the reason they can allegedly allow access to otherwise "blocked sites" is by conning the system into thinking you are elsewhere in the world. As for cost, I was just told that you get what you pay for, so I would think that a paid for app would be far better than one of the free ones offered on play store. As for connection speeds, I had worked that one out for myself, as going through one app, to access another, namely the browser I use, has to slow things up a bit. @mikethinks that I should be OK, and if your own site works worldwide, then there's a fair chance I should be OK. I'll soon find out when we go on holiday, and if it turns out I can't access this site, then so be it, and i'll have to keep my cakehole shut for a while.

Further to that post, I just used the members map link that @mike posted, and there's at least one member from where we are going, so i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Edited by MotownSoulMan
Corrected a mistake

soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, mike said:

should be no probs

we have many active members worldwide as can be seen via our membermap here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/membermap/

I'd say a lot of the 'no access' type messages you may be getting are due to legal concerns such as copyright, privacy etc etc

Thats really interesting Mike, seeing members around the world. Some surprises !

soul source url
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MotownSoulMan said:

You could download a 'trial' VPN and change your location to where you are going on your hols & then see if you can access the site. I've just posted this from France & I must be there because I can't now access BBC iPlayer and my dog is now barking in French!

Have a play with this 'free' one https://www.betternet.co/

Edited by simon t

soul source url
Posted
10 hours ago, simon t said:

You could download a 'trial' VPN and change your location to where you are going on your hols & then see if you can access the site. I've just posted this from France & I must be there because I can't now access BBC iPlayer and my dog is now barking in French!

Have a play with this 'free' one https://www.betternet.co/

Thanks for that Simon. I tried it last night and finally after a lot of messing about, it did con my phone into believing it was the other side of the world. My browser, or should I say, the browser I use, was reading my location in UK, and then switched over to the country I conned it into believing I was in. Setting up the VPN app was easy, but setting up the phone settings was a bloody nightmare. I'm going to take Mike and Chalky's advice, and hope it just works without any of that crap. Incidentally, after I had tried the VPN, I decided to delete it, and it took ages to find and remove all the associated files. 

soul source url

Site Stuff - Support Forum

Site related support and feedback forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.