Pressings - may someone advise please?

Hi to all,
As a youth, enamoured of the scene and hitch-hiking all over the North (and beyond) to attend soul 'niters' I went through a brief period of trawling the record bars and purchasing a handful of records - I was a young man just coming out of my teens (mid 80s) and had absolutely no idea of the concept of a pressing or bootleg, just was told they were 'copies' and therefore cheaper and available -Although my love for the scene has never wavered and I continued attending rare soul events until very recently, I stopped buying records in the early 90s and only have approx. 50 -they have been in a cupboard upstairs unplayed or handled for over 25 years - I would imagine that for the price I paid for them (£10 tops) bitd probably NONE are 'legit' but am wondering if there are newer, younger, collectors on the scene to whom they are desirable and have a value? I spent an hour yesterday reading a couple of threads from days of yore and understand why to many OVO folk these discs are abominations - I never had intent to defraud and withhold dues from the original artistes - I was merely a young man buying the sounds I heard at the venues so I could play them on my brother's Technics when at home - I am wondering if any kind soul could spare a couple of minutes to help me understand if these have any value at all nowadays (however modest) or if I am as well using them as drinks coasters - to aid anyone kind enough to assist I list a few below, there's not many.
May I offer thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to give an informed opinion and hope my innocent enquiry does not cause offence :-)
****PS: I have had a quick look on Popsike and discogs but when similar copies state '70's pressing' etc I have NO IDEA whatsoever what year(s) mine originate from, in case they were pressed multiple times?? - is there a way of telling without a Manship guide please?***
DISCLAIMER - as stated, I am 95% sure they are all pressings or bootlegs - even with my miniscule knowledge I know a couple of these titles are BIG money as originals

FRNK DELL - HE BROKE YOUR GAME WIDE OPEN - VALISE

FOUR PERFECTIONS - IM NOT STRONG ENOUGH - SOUL GALORE

LORRAINE CHANDLER - I CANT CHANGE - ASHFORD

TOMANGOES - I REALLY LOVE YOU - WASHPAN

EDDIE DAYE & FOUR BARS - GUESS WHO LOVES YOU - HORACES

ROBBIE LAWSON - BURNING SENSATION - KYSER

SHAWN ROBINSON - MY DEAR HEART - WRIGHT SOUNDS

MAJOR LANCE - YOU DONT WANT ME NO MORE - SOUND OF SOUL

GEORGE BLACKWELL - CANT LOSE MY HEAD - SMOKE

JOHNNY CASWELL - YOU DONT LOVE ME ANYMORE - KENT

EDWARD HAMILTON - IM GONNA LOVE YOU - CARRIE

DEBONAIRES - HOWS YOUR NEW LOVE TREATING YOU - GOLDEN WORLD

RAY POLLARD - THIS TIME - HORACES

MELBA MOORE - MAGIC TOUCH - HORACES

PARLIAMENTS - DONT BE SORE AT ME - REVILOT

GWEN OWENS - JUST SAY YOURE WANTED - VELGO

METROS/JIMMY MACK/TONY MIDDLETON - JOKER

JOHN HAMPTON - NOT MY GIRL - DOTTYS FROM DETROIT

EDDIE SPENCER - IF THIS IS LOVE - POWER EXCHANGE

Social source share

ok 

to help you get help with this have dug out the thrust of your post and put it below

I am wondering if any kind soul could spare a couple of minutes to help me understand if these have any value at all nowadays (however modest) 

also  will move to the 'box' forum 

cheers

Social source share

Many thanks Mike, and apologies for you having to move - I did wonder which forum to post on but as a speculative appeal for knowledge rather than a sales pitch I chose AATS - totally in character for me to get a 50/50 call wrong! - ha ha - thank you for your help 🙂

Social source share

Thank you Paul i have also had a very helpful e-mail from a chap username Stevecee - i appreciate all assistance as i have NO prior knowledge, one of those who has lived and loved the scene but for whatever reason never went beyond dipping my toe into collecting vinyl - cheers for taking time to respond

• Up vote 2
Social source share

quite a lot of reissues, some will be bootlegs and pressings etc, apart from the 2 mentioned above I dont think any will be actual OVO originals and even the one on SMOKE is unlikely to be an original, but you never know

HORACES are "reissues" and the WRIGHT SOUNDS and SOS and JOKER are boots

Edited by soundsOKEH
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks also to you mate - i doubted ANY were originals but had no idea that they would have even increased from the £4-5 (average) i paid for them - pleasantly surprised that there MAY be a few hundred nicker there if i could sell - and i have read the definitions of promos/reissues/pressings/boots/carvers ad nauseum on soul source and given up with a headache each time i try and commit the difference to memory!!

Edited by hullsoulie
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, soul shrews said:

What are the details on your Frank Dell ? There were quite a few real ones about BITD

not really sure where to start looking my friend, there is nothing stamped or scratched into the wax near the record centre and the 'label' on the 'a' side is not aligned in sync with the 'b' side so perhaps they are indicative of it lacking provenance as an original? (i don't really know what to look for)

Social source share

The George Blackwell on smoke, I had 6 about 5 years ago , all boots and they all sold between 18 and 25 gbp, all blue copies there is a yellow one, not sure if value , presume same, think the original is purply/brown (stand corrected though) and go for big bucks, fantastic record

• Thanks 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, hullsoulie said:

not really sure where to start looking my friend, there is nothing stamped or scratched into the wax near the record centre and the 'label' on the 'a' side is not aligned in sync with the 'b' side so perhaps they are indicative of it lacking provenance as an original? (i don't really know what to look for)

Frank Dell Boot / pressing  https://www.45cat.com/record/6900xb

Frank Dell Original   https://www.45cat.com/record/6900us

Different typeface on the label and the original is very dark red. The boot is lighter red and if memory serves me will probably have some bubbling on the label.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Different typeface on the label and the original is very dark red. The boot is lighter red and if memory serves me will probably have some bubbling on the label.

Many thanks for this - confirms, as expected, mine is the boot/pressing - cheers for help

Social source share

1 hour ago, hullsoulie said:

Many thanks for this - confirms, as expected, mine is the boot/pressing - cheers for help

Forgot....

Edward Hamilton is an easy one to differentiate. Orange label Carrie is the original and will go for big bucks now (several hundred pounds). The Green label is a legit reissue and probably today will be in the tens of pounds - 30 ish I guess ?

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, garswood said:

The George Blackwell on smoke, I had 6 about 5 years ago , all boots and they all sold between 18 and 25 gbp, all blue copies there is a yellow one, not sure if value , presume same, think the original is purply/brown (stand corrected though) and go for big bucks, fantastic record

Original George Blackwell's are also  blue 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

57 minutes ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Forgot....

Edward Hamilton is an easy one to differentiate. Orange label Carrie is the original and will go for big bucks now (several hundred pounds). The Green label is a legit reissue and probably today will be in the tens of pounds - 30 ish I guess ?

There is also a green boot if memory serves or a second green reissue

• Thanks 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Yes but there is a lighter red original on thicker vinyl than the darker one. Boot styrene

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

30 minutes ago, soul shrews said:

Yes but there is a lighter red original on thicker vinyl than the darker one. Boot styrene

Cheers Paul

Agree with Paul, two original Frank Dells One on thick and one on thin Vinyl . 

The way to tell if you have a styrene Frank Dell 45 ! if you can feel the paper label with your fingernail as you go between the runout and label it is styrene (boot) . Original vinyl FD's have moulded over labels and you can't really feel the join.

Try it on a couple of discs and you will soon see the difference between Styrene ( glued on) and vinyl (moulded over) 45's that is unless they are all the same type LOL !!!:-)

Best Spook

Edited by spook
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!