Poll: When did your Northern Soul affair start?

Mike

When did your northern soul affair begin?  

1. 1. When did you get on the bus?

• 1960s
    • 1970s
    • 1980s
    • 1990s
    • 2000s
    • 2010s

This poll is closed to new votes

Would have been about 1975 when some of the older lads started to play some northern at the youth club I went to.

Also had an older brother who was into the four tops/temptations/sam cooke so it was one step further for me into the northern arena.

Then started to go to the local working mens club every Tuesday with a bunch of mates which played mainly northern and got to know the tunes 

Happy days !! 

Neal

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Grow up in London, always liked Motown, Stax, soul and reggae. Moved to  Northampton in 1980,got speaking to bloke at work about music and he said what about Northern Soul. Anyway next day he burnt me 2 cds, put one on in the car on the way home. 1st track MVPS Turning my heartbeat up, 2nd track Do I love you. Time I got home, caught hook line and sinker. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Footsie was the factor for me....was totally blown away by what i saw on TOTP back in 75....prior to that was very much and still am into Philly and funk....also purchasing a copy of Jumping At The GoGo which i still have turned me from a fairweather into a die hard committed northern souler...xxx

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1976 here, was talked into going to a local youth club, heard tracks like The Nite - Lighters - K-Gee, Little Anthony & The Imperials - Better Use Your Head, Willie Mitchell - The Champion and was soon hooked line and sinker. :yes: 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

quite early in my life as very much older siblings and lots in local area were into it so kinda grew up with it, was given some records in my teens and progressed from there, still go to events and still collect, tastes have varied as years passed by

I'm a lifer

EDIT my kids are continuing the trend and come with us to events, got their own record collections too

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

On 17/03/2019 at 15:41, mike said:

When did you get on the bus?

Here's a re-run of a previous poll, was interesting last time so maybe a re-run will be as well

What decade did your northern soul affair begin?

Last time around back in 2013 the results were....
1960s  15%
1970s   60%
1980s   17%
1990s      4%
2000/2010s 5%

This time around....?

Well here you go...
Which decade did your Northern Soul affair start...

northern-soul-poll-bus.jpg

Hmm....this vote could be viewed as unfair, after all "we" didn't get 2 votes for brexit, (this could open up another whole tin of worms).😉

Social source share

I was interested in Soul music generally before I ever got the Northern Soul bug and indeed the former was around well before the latter ever existed. I don't remember Northern Soul ever being a 'thing' at all before '68 ish. My memory might of course be faulty, but that's the way I remember it.

Social source share

No, I wouldn't say so. Soul music and indeed Motown were well into being a 'scene' before the late '60's and I have no doubt at all that NS was in fact a 'thing' before '70. I'm just not sure exactly which year it was when we started to differentiate...could have been anything between 67 to 69.

Social source share

1965 for me - local at first, then across the Pennines in 1966 to the all-nighters at the Twisted Wheel - long before Dave Godin came up from London to find out  why he'd heard so much about this place called the Twisted Wheel. Only then did he coin the phrase "Northern Soul" - happy days - I'd do it all again in a heartbeat if I could turn back the clock!💃  💃  💃

• Up vote 2
Social source share

ok poll closed now as a new one be coming along soon

interesting results ... almost exactly the same as the 2013 poll 😃

some interesting takes on just what 'northern' is, what could be scope for another topic I guess

thanks all who took part both voting and talking

hope enjoyable!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!