amitwiirly

Petula clark

went to a couple of different northern oldies nights recently and both times Petula Clark - "I couldn't live without your love" was played,since when has this been a "Northern soul" record .it had a few people up dancing. I know "pop" records do get played but most seem to fit in, but Petula Clark ? Whats that all about

• Up vote 3
  • Disagree 1

Share this source music forum post

soul source url

Funny you should mention this 

I too have been to a couple of nights in the North East recently where “ Sign of the Times “ was played out and I thought 

EH !!!! 

soul source url
Posted (edited)

okay playing devils advocate the dj maybe thought it had a dancing beat and the finger clicking thing sold it to him/her??

image.png.3d48b388942d73867d0ab859d7f4030f.png

Edited by shufflin
  • Up vote 1

soul source url

I agree just trying to get into the thinking behind playing it, what soul nite was this then spill the beans !

• Up vote 1

soul source url

Ok first one was St.Helens soul club Haresfinch st.Helens .Sat just gone (16/3/19) was the soul barn warrington the D.J was a guest from radcliffe soul club

• Up vote 2

soul source url

I  love  " Downtown" hearing that always makes me happy , just played it before I wrote this , at this point , I dont  care what label stuff comes under ,  point taken though , if you pay to attend a " northern soul " night , it may be a surprising selection 

• Up vote 1

soul source url

I love lots of sixties pop records but when anything like this gets played its another northern record that gets missed out

P.s don't know for sure that the D.j was from Radcliffe just what the promoter told me

• Up vote 1
  • Disagree 1

soul source url

It's been around for a while, if you search on here it was mentioned back in 2008. Whereas Helen Shapiro Tell Me What He Said gets played a lot in the Midlands recently - heard it Saturday night and probably 2 or 3 times this year. 

soul source url

Another track from Petula that I believe had some plays many, many moons ago...

• Up vote 1

soul source url

He's coming home,      dreadful dirge !       

the more i think about this,  the more frustrated i become.     anyone who plays 'i could'nt live without your love'  should be bloody ashamed🤨

• Disagree 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Some of these young DJ,s were not around when these records were in the charts!

I went to a pub Northern soul night and the young man djing said we should give the next record a chance, as he thought we would like it once we got to know it! 

"Baby Love" by The Supremes!!!

And he was being serious!

Edited by solidsoul
  • Up vote 3

soul source url
14 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

It's been around for a while, if you search on here it was mentioned back in 2008. Whereas Helen Shapiro Tell Me What He Said gets played a lot in the Midlands recently - heard it Saturday night and probably 2 or 3 times this year. 

Yes helen shapiro certainly gets played the odd time, i happen to think its ok but hey each to their own, never heard pet clark though .i think the beverly ann and Muriel day argument has been done to death.  Last heard ntoot at the oddfellows reunion 2 years ago and thats not full of hand baggers and no knowledge soulies. 

• Up vote 2

soul source url

I think it may originate from the Butlins weekender, loads from my neck of the woods have gone and got into T'Northern locally.

Helen made some great records and some rare ones too, the door was opened with "Stop and you will become aware" along with the EP track which escapes my memory just now.  Pet Clark Sign of the times was played in 70s and is reasonably hard to find on UK 

It perhaps my age and having two significantly older Mod sisters that I feel these "Common/ chart hit records" don't really have a place on a rare soul scene. Although I do have a soft spot for other more obscure white UK artist offerings

Rob

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Rob Wigley said:

Helen made some great records and some rare ones too, the door was opened with "Stop and you will become aware" along with the EP track which escapes my memory just now.  Pet Clark Sign of the times was played in 70s and is reasonably hard to find on UK 

"He knows how to love me" by Helen Shapiro on Columbia is a great record.

Was a big record in the 1990's!

Edited by solidsoul
  • Up vote 2

soul source url
Just now, solidsoul said:

"He knows how to love me" by Helen Shapiro on Columbia is a great record.

Was a big record in the 1990's!

Thats the one ! late 80s Saus spin in the Donny area and yes its good !

soul source url
Just now, Rob Wigley said:

Thats the one ! late 80s Saus spin in the Donny area and yes its good !

I had it same time too. 

soul source url
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, shufflin said:

okay playing devils advocate the dj maybe thought it had a dancing beat and the finger clicking thing sold it to him/her??

image.png.3d48b388942d73867d0ab859d7f4030f.png

Probably played because it says northern music on the label 😂 nice tune  soul ?

Edited by Spain pete
Add
  • Up vote 3

soul source url

Out of Time ,   springs to mind, too .    

fab record,   but at a Soul event ? 

Petula Clark is my fave UK singer,   but leave her out of the Soul scene

• Up vote 1
  • Disagree 1

soul source url
32 minutes ago, shinehead said:

Any dj playing records such as Petula Clark have no idea about Northern Soul and no idea about Soul music of any kind.

40 years ago white pop was prevalent on the Northern scene and I thought those times had gone, whoever is playing such records must be lacking ideas , still thousands of great Soul records that deserve a airing before any pop crap. 

40years ago, there is still a massive amount of that so called white pop crap played on the scene. Long may it continue i love the rarer stuff as well but who is going to decide what is played now. What has to be remembered is many posting on here are the shock troops of the northern scene. The foot troops who week in week out attend dayers nighters ,weekenders dont coment on here but they certainly get up and dance to what you regard as crap.the scene is broad and plenty of events for all tastes. Forums are for opinions but the real decision is taken on the floor and the events i attend which are many people still love ALL types of northern. 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
19 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

yep 2008 post said

"i couldnt live without your love was played at venues in central scotland back in the day always filled the floor"

Not a fan of the record myself but seems like it's not a new play

• Up vote 2

soul source url
5 hours ago, solidsoul said:

Some young DJ,s were not around when these records where in the charts!

I went to a pub Northern soul night and the young man djing said we should give the next record a chance as he thought we would like it once we got to know it! 

"Baby Love" by The Supremes!!!

And he was being serious!

I never ever paid much attention to Petula Clark before and I wouldn't have known this was her;  just seen it was a #6 chart song a couple of years before I was born! So it could be that younger DJ's just didn't know either. . written by Jackie Trent (and Tony Hatch) too who's singles get an occasional play. Pop as well though they are. 

soul source url
39 minutes ago, dave pinch said:

m beginning to think its fueled by old pop music fans that never went years ago that wanted something to do in their old age...discovering northern soul as its better than the pictures ..goin out for a meal or nightclubbing with the kids..takin over the scene and wanting to hear old pop music...combined with snowflake djs who just pander to their needs

Bang on . I’d be straight out the door , fooking embarrassing, we all like a bit of pop , I like for example dean martins ‘ gentle on my mind ‘ does that mean I should play it at a soul venue , shit no, or  Elvis ‘ burning love ‘ no , was gonna ramble on some more but it needs treating with the contempt it deserves! 

• Up vote 2
  • Disagree 1

soul source url

Pet Clark ok in her day but soul it is not. Now record like Julie Grant  Then only then although not northern,it is a good pop record.

• Up vote 3
  • Disagree 1

soul source url

A local DJ down in Plymouth in the 80s who incidentally had a lot of great originals, used to play Love Affairs Everlasting love. I asked why he didn't play Robert knights version. He said Love affair was better. When was that the point?

Paul

soul source url

Ian Clark yes ! Petula Clark NO !!

• Up vote 1
  • Disagree 1

soul source url
1 hour ago, Geoff B said:

Pet Clark ok in her day but soul it is not. Now record like Julie Grant  Then only then although not northern,it is a good pop record.

Popcorn in Barnsley? 

Please don't spread to Donny!

Ed

soul source url

let's bring the track to life

soul source url

Tony Hatch was responsible for some soul pastiches, imagine this in the hands of a real soul artist, or Dusty even 

• Up vote 3

soul source url

This scene is going from bad to worse to dire, we are all doomed!  Again

ML

• Up vote 3
  • Disagree 1

soul source url
35 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

This scene is going from bad to worse to dire, we are all doomed!  Again

ML

rare Petula mix 🙂

• Thanks 1

soul source url
12 minutes ago, shufflin said:

rare Petula mix 🙂

Hehehe.

Lord help us ..I dont think ill ever recover after hearing that!

6 minutes ago, JulianB said:

I was at a 'soul do' last month in Europe. The local DJ played the Monkees - I'm a believer.

Hahaha...Things are going steadily from  bad to worse here! ,I've now just spat coffee all over my keyboard..hows is this even possible?? ..

The mind truly boggles...

• Up vote 1

soul source url

Perhaps we need a retro pop night .

• Up vote 1

soul source url

Petula Clarke ! Yet  another pop  record stick for critics to beat the Northern Soul scene with no good getting angry about  it  pop records have always been played on the scene 

• Up vote 3

soul source url
7 hours ago, Rob Wigley said:

I think it may originate from the Butlins weekender, loads from my neck of the woods have gone and got into T'Northern locally.

It perhaps my age and having two significantly older Mod sisters that I feel these "Common/ chart hit records" don't really have a place on a rare soul scene. Although I do have a soft spot for other more obscure white UK artist offerings

Rob

So as long it's a rare pop record that's ok?

soul source url

Nothing wrong with jackie trent fine lookin woman back in the day

• Up vote 2

soul source url
19 hours ago, chalky said:

Divs, the kinda people I went to northern nights and nighters to get away from

I'm in agreement with you gent's I'd sooner hang myself than listen to this dribble at a soul night  the DJs should be hung drawn and quartered  their remains Hung in the four corners of the UK as a warning . Why don't these so called DJs play some real soul be they rare cheap 60s 70's modern crossover . Next thing we know pet Clarke Will be fetching £812 lol😲😲

• Up vote 2
  • Disagree 1

soul source url
On 18/03/2019 at 20:47, amitwiirly said:

went to a couple of different northern oldies nights recently and both times Petula Clark - "I couldn't live without your love" was played,since when has this been a "Northern soul" record .it had a few people up dancing. I know "pop" records do get played but most seem to fit in, but Petula Clark ? Whats that all about

Who was up dancing, Pan's People?

• Up vote 3

soul source url

19 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Popcorn in Barnsley? 

Please don't spread to Donny!

Ed

Hi Tomangoes

Always rated Julie Grant as a great singer she was overlooked early 60,s by Helen Shapiro and Billie Davis but she was slightly before Dusty, Jackie Trent ect She actually beat Helen Shapiro into second place in Butlins singing contest her covers of Baby Washington and Drifters ingles stand up to scrutiny

kR

ML

soul source url

Get involved with the Source Forums

Join in with the discussion

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get the most out of Soul Source

Source Adverts