JM AUCTION

Davey S

I thought it was an unwritten rule not to talk about sales until they are completed? Maybe spoil someone's sale/price!  Maybe doesn't matter anymore?

Social source share

1 hour ago, modernsoulsucks said:

I think your premise is incorrect.

"Agent OO Soul" or "You've been cheating" are just as good musically as the Sweets. 

Yes I agree with this! The grass always looks greener on the other side!  

If there was only 8 known copies of "Don't Be Sore At Me" The Parliaments on Revilot, it would be always talked about! Pictures of it in it's birth sleeve in collectors price guides. Tales of it causing dance floor gridlock and dance floor mayhem, holy grails and collectors frenzy,  but because it's easily obtainable it's never mentioned!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

52 minutes ago, modernsoulsucks said:

I think your premise is incorrect.

"Agent OO Soul" or "You've been cheating" are just as good musically as the Sweets. 

Now if you had said how come every record I want appears to be very rare and expensive I'd agree.

That's what I meant Rod. Thank you. I knew someone would understand me. 

Social source share

I'm gonna have a punt on the auction for 'The Sweets' with the thinking that most people will think there's no chance, so won't bother bidding :wink:

Not got a clue what it's worth in today's market (Yeh I know, what I am prepared to pay) Can't see my bid winning, but auctions can surprise.

BEAUTIFUL tune.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

11 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Who is this Manship guy? Is he new to the auction business? The top side is ‘Satisfy Me Baby’ - a great up-tempo track. The winner of the record will be in for a treat when they flip it over from the slow side.

I know, he seems to have sprung up from nowhere....

Anybody would think he has wrote a book or two on the subject of prices, owned a record shop, and DJd at Cleethorpes back in the day.

Probably makes pork pies in his day job, coming from Melton Mobray:)

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 25/03/2019 at 10:46, marty57 said:

Without trying to bump the price up any one like to guess how much its gonna go for ? M- too .  Should put  a couple of quid on my 70tys  press anyhow !

Feel free to bump the price up as much as you want.😀

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
53 minutes ago, dimples said:

Thank you. Can't really understand the reason for that price for Julien Covey 2nd issue 🤔

I've commented before that we view this stuff through UK eyes, dealers sell lots to abroad like Italy, Finland, Germany, France, some to Japan and even back to US buyers

buyers outside UK worry less about 1st vs 2nd press (I've been told this on a phone call with a seller today) plus apparently lots of people on SS agree it doesn't matter about first vs 2nd press 🙂

not justifying it, just a comment that's all

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 25/03/2019 at 11:00, tomangoes said:

my pension for a rare tune

convinced this is part of the reason, access to pension pots

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 minute ago, Winsford Soul said:

New ford kuga and camera from my pension scheme hopefully in next couple of weeks  and a great pension to follow when I do retire.  No records this time. 

Steve 

good for you Steve, nice

Social source share

21 minutes ago, shufflin said:

convinced this is part of the reason, access to pension pots

Hi pal, do you think that this is in the hope that the record would go up in value or just that it was an all time want that they can now afford?

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
Just now, gogs said:

Hi pal, do you think that this is in the hope that the record would go up in value or just that it was an all time want that they can now afford?

no idea tbh, maybe I'm wrong about it, like everything else, people with access to their pots could maybe comment if they've used 'em to buy records

someone is buying the records at these prices though, god knows

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
3 minutes ago, gogs said:

That makes 2 of us lol

I do know of a person buying a serious collection in one go post retirement, but that's just one guy, so in that case maybe the desire to own all time wants?

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

40 minutes ago, shufflin said:

I've commented before that we view this stuff through UK eyes, dealers sell lots to abroad like Italy, Finland, Germany, France, some to Japan and even back to US buyers

buyers outside UK worry less about 1st vs 2nd press (I've been told this on a phone call with a seller today) plus apparently lots of people on SS agree it doesn't matter about first vs 2nd press 🙂

not justifying it, just a comment that's all

Yes it is world wide but I dare bet it is a brit driving the prices of these classics.  Apart from a few rich ones with more money than sense most collectors use their common sense.  Anyone could have offered say £75 for this prior to the auction and snagged a copy. 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 minute ago, tobytyke said:

If the last 10 years are anything to go by . In 2029 the record will be worth more than the car!

I agree - I really don't think it's going to stop, rare soul is like rare Jazz now, it's a worldwide thing with younger generations getting into it

if you see a rare record you want and can afford, and there's limited copies available, buy the bloody thing

Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

New ford kuga and camera from my pension scheme hopefully in next couple of weeks  and a great pension to follow when I do retire.  No records this time. 

Steve 

Very public spirited handing over 20% VAT to spreadsheet Phil on that new car and camera.

Average depreciation is 50 % over 3 years on a new standard car, when you come to sell or trade.

25% tax free lump sum is only tax free if you don't spend it!

The vultures get it all back in the end! 

Ed

Social source share

17 hours ago, speedlimit said:

Bloody hell £250 for a record by a guy from stapleford Nottingham .

Yes but it sounded great in Wigan's Mr M's at 4am in the morning, circa mid 70's. The dance floor rammed, and the walls running with condensation from the heat of dance floor fever!  Can you imagine the atmosphere in Mr M's when those opening bars of "A Little Bit Hurt" came on!!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

On 27/03/2019 at 22:39, speedlimit said:

Bloody hell £250 for a record by a guy from stapleford Nottingham .

Hey Steve, it turned out that he came from Sherwood and not Stapleford.                                    Hope you well mate 

Edited by Mick Boyle
Social source share

18 hours ago, Mick Boyle said:

Hey Steve, it turned out that he came from Sherwood and not Stapleford.                                    Hope you well mate 

Hi Mick all's well in the fens mate I stand corrected lol must be my age . Just seem to remember john Poole telling me he used to live near him

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!