The Re-Vells - I Want A New Love....any more info please

This one is way over my head and I apologise if it's been covered before and seemingly unconnected to the other group. The label (info please) appears to be Gospel mainly

The BMI credits both sides 17May1969 Melvin Hatchett and Frank Lemons (words and music) and Raymond R. Taylor (Latrice Music Co.) seemingly from New Jersey and that's where I got stuck.

Revells.jpg

Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Thanks so much but there did not seem to be a conclusion 

Trenton New Jersey is closer to the Philadelphia market than New York (Northern New Jersey) Market.  It was always considered "Downstate".  So, I would guess that everyone in Trenton would have been well aware of the 1950s group.  THAT group was still going strong on the club circuit in 1964, and had a regional hit with "Dollar Sign" that year.  1964 is too close to 1968 to have had no connection.  The Re-Vells were really a very well-known local Philadelphia (and thus, Eastern Pennsylvania/south New Jersey group.  So, I believe it is VERY UNLIKELY that a new group would come up with that name out of the blue.  Someone would have told them to pick another because of the former group.  By the same token, it is not very likely that The 1950s group would have stayed intact all the way to 1968.  Actually, they had already had at least one line-up change between 1961 and their 1964 Kapp release.  I'm guessing that they had at least one more between '64 and '68.  I would bet that roughly half the members would have been new  by their Trent-Town release.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, RobbK said:

Trenton New Jersey is closer to the Philadelphia market than New York (Northern New Jersey) Market.  It was always considered "Downstate".  So, I would guess that everyone in Trenton would have been well aware of the 1950s group.  THAT group was still going strong on the club circuit in 1964, and had a regional hit with "Dollar Sign" that year.  1964 is too close to 1968 to have had no connection.  The Re-Vells were really a very well-known local Philadelphia (and thus, Eastern Pennsylvania/south New Jersey group.  So, I believe it is VERY UNLIKELY that a new group would come up with that name out of the blue.  Someone would have told them to pick another because of the former group.  By the same token, it is not very likely that The 1950s group would have stayed intact all the way to 1968.  Actually, they had already had at least one line-up change between 1961 and their 1964 Kapp release.  I'm guessing that they had at least one more between '64 and '68.  I would bet that roughly half the members would have been new  by their Trent-Town release.

This came out on the sam label and was issued on this CD, (if this helps at all)

Excali.jpg

Tramp.jpg

Social source share

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:07, Blackpoolsoul said:

This came out on the sam label and was issued on this CD, (if this helps at all)

Excali.jpg

Tramp.jpg

Yes , I've got "Peace on earth" as well. Sure I read that Butch unearthed Re-Vells from JA's barn after Mecca closed. He thought it didn't fit the era? Or tried it to lukewarm response at Stafford? Might be dreaming though lol. Either way its a stormer. Sam can't be said for the Excalibur single though.

Social source share

There wasn’t one member of the late 50s Philly group in amongst any of the Trent Town group, not going by the signatures. Also a different spelling.  It was said on the other topic that it is thought they were different groups.  There is a vast amount of group names used by more than one group so it is more than feasible Re-vels or a derivative was also used. The Philly group had just one release post 61, in 1964 so it is quite feasible the name wasn’t even around or in memory by the time the Trenton group were about!

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, chalky said:

There wasn’t one member of the late 50s Philly group in amongst any of the Trent Town group, not going by the signatures. Also a different spelling.  It was said on the other topic that it is thought they were different groups.  There is a vast amount of group names used by more than one group so it is more than feasible Re-vels or a derivative was also used. The Philly group had just one release post 61, in 1964 so it is quite feasible the name wasn’t even around or in memory by the time the Trenton group were about!

The challenge must go to Mr Moore then me thinks

Social source share

• 11 months later...
On 10/04/2019 at 05:47, Robbk said:

The '50s group was from Philadelphia, and the Trenton group seems to be from Central New Jersey.  So, it seems clear that the 2 groups had no connection.

Blimey has it been a year

Found this LP......interesting ? 43 miles away from "The Revells" High School ?

soul Shiloh Front

soul Shiloh Back

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!