How Modern is Modern?

Why should it be ommited from northern rooms it wasn't in the late 70's and 80's that sort of attitude as caused the splits within the scene . resulting in the sad state it's in now . everything in one room how it should be. The New sounds will soon grow on you 😁😁😁😁

• Up vote 2
Social source share

16 hours ago, chalky said:

Unless it sounds northern (60s/70s retro) in its style they aren't interest. Most aren’t interested in anything different 60s wise so try and get them to accept new releases is never going to happen.  

I know mate we can live in hope . mainly down to narrow minded promoters 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

21 hours ago, tomangoes said:

So Stevie

Would you say that true modern is perhaps a scene on its own and has passed the point of being included in the Northern Soul spectrum at least until it's a few years old?

Ed

Yep would have to agree full heartfelt on this one there are however two aspects on this ,out and out DJs whom have delved into there hard earned cash record boxes do my fcuking head in were  putting a modern  night  on.....no Cdjs, no USB,no tablet,laptop 3/4 of the modern scene is now made up of digital media not vinyl unfortunately, which is a shame so you then get deprived of hearing the latest or digital stuff never put out on the plastic stuff so yep think the days when it crosses over to the northern room are slowly dying a slow death ( hooray say some ) but then we have ......carvers 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

22 hours ago, tomangoes said:

I guess the concensus is if it sounds soulful to you, and you can dance to it, then it can well be Northern Soul.  It's flexible on soulfullness but not so much danceability..

However you cant shuffle to afternoon of the rhino anymore than you can stomp to house for sale.

Modern generally follows the soulful disco style and the dance style that goes with it.

So I would agree it can all be Northern Soul to some even if it's soulful disco or r n b to others. 

Modern clearly should really just be a tag for current and recent releases.

I see a parallel here with architecture - "Modern" architecture was a style (of variety of styles) that became prevalent from the 20's to the 60's. Since then some architects still designed in the style but most moved on and built on the foundations and changed it into something else. In architecture "Postmodern" then became the term and now there's even more labels. So both "Modern" and "Postmodern" architecture are historical styles "Contemporary" is sometimes now used but probably even more meaningless, well I think it's similar. "Postmodern soul" anyone?

Edited by Timillustrator
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

I see a parallel here with architecture - "Modern" architecture was a style (of variety of styles) that became prevalent from the 20's to the 60's. Since then some architects still designed in the style but most moved on and built on the foundations and changed it into something else. In architecture "Postmodern" then became the term and now there's even more labels. So both "Modern" and "Postmodern" architecture are historical styles "Contemporary" is sometimes now used but probably even more meaningless, well I think it's similar. "Postmodern soul" anyone?

Like the idea. Contemporary Soul.

As long as it's not on the contempo label. 

Steve 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Lisa Stansfield . Ticks all the boxes of this weird and wonderful scene and it's a 90,s release.  Classed as modern ? In the context of this thread yes, 

I love it

Steve 

Oooohhhh nooooo!!

Cheers,

Mark R

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Timillustrator said:

I've made a similar piont about mods. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, steviehay said:

Yep would have to agree full heartfelt on this one there are however two aspects on this ,out and out DJs whom have delved into there hard earned cash record boxes do my fcuking head in were  putting a modern  night  on.....no Cdjs, no USB,no tablet,laptop 3/4 of the modern scene is now made up of digital media not vinyl unfortunately, which is a shame so you then get deprived of hearing the latest or digital stuff never put out on the plastic stuff so yep think the days when it crosses over to the northern room are slowly dying a slow death ( hooray say some ) but then we have ......carvers 

Yep couldn’t agree more , how people deprive themselves just because they came out on cd in their original format, I might add . I thought back in the day when some venues did plug in the CD player that the scene would have progressed onto this being the norm , it’s seems the thread got dropped along the way , there’s loads of great titles and they are peanuts and some of them can or are quite rare to get hold off . 

Edited by Colnago
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Mark R said:

Oooohhhh nooooo!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Mark. Didn't it get played in bretby modern room,  lowton modern room as a new release if I remember correctly.  

This thread is about what's modern classed as. the general opinion anything from the 70,s onwards by the majority of northern soulies is classed as such.  So Lisa Stansfield certainly fits that remit.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mark. Didn't it get played in bretby modern room,  lowton modern room as a new release if I remember correctly.  

This thread is about what's modern classed as. the general opinion anything from the 70,s onwards by the majority of northern soulies is classed as such.  So Lisa Stansfield certainly fits that remit.  

I remember Brian Goucher playing Lisa as a pre-release, I think

• Up vote 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I know mate, fair comment on all counts......I'm just not keen myself! LOL

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
10 minutes ago, Wendy Thompson said:

Dunno but just maybe is Busy Earnin Jungle (Toyota Advert) a candidate for Postmodern Soul?? 

my kids were into this a few years ago so it's an oldie now and pop to boot 🙂

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 06/04/2019 at 08:12, tomangoes said:

But in the last 30 years I don't see any significant change in beat or style, just replication of what's been before

got this on 12" and heard it played out, you reckon this is any diferent? I'm an 'across the board' type so not really interested in whether something is northern or modern scene stuff, this one is a 2004 release getting recent spins

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

Nice track. I likes a bit of Gospel I do!

However a 15 year old record just getting spins?

How modern is modern?

It would have been a push at Wigan to play much 15 years old!

Modern is either recent releases...

Or modern sounding danceable soul with the same kind of beat etc as this track, emanating from perhaps 1980 onwards.

But I find it hard to say it means both.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
5 minutes ago, Soulfusion said:

That Jasper Street Co. cut is what I consider to be soulful house

to answer both you & Ed it was really a reply to Ed's point " I don't see any significant change in beat or style, just replication of what's been before", which I disagree with a bit,  not really about releases in last year

Social source share

15 minutes ago, shufflin said:

got this on 12" and heard it played out, you reckon this is any diferent? I'm an 'across the board' type so not really interested in whether something is northern or modern scene stuff, this one is a 2004 release getting recent spins

Where is this being played?

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Mark R said:

Where is this being played?

Cheers,

Mark R

I never hear anything like Jasper Street at your typical northern or even across the board nights, (if ever there was a stupid term that is it 😂 ) if anything like this did get played it would clear the floor in seconds. 

Social source share

35 minutes ago, shufflin said:

Interesting..

I like the way some of the dancers have got into the swing of it with the Latin / salsa movement.

Not a shred of soul in though. Would this be Northern Salsa:)

Heard a few similar tunes at the 100 club a few years ago from a guest dj.

My ignorance kicked in as they all sounded the same to my cloth ears.

Still, it's better than ska and rock n roll that are also across the very wide board.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

one of my favourite modern tracks released in last year or two, jazzy soul I guess, serious lyrics and a fantastic 45 🙂

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

Just now, shufflin said:

one of my favourite modern tracks released in last year, jazzy soul I guess, serious lyrics and a fantastic 45 🙂

Haha....the YouTube took a while to load but I knew what it was from your description.  Great record! 👍

Cheers,

Mark R

• Listening now 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

only 104 people have bothered to watch this amazing performamce, a few of the first press 45 are on discogs for under a tenner plus shipping, literally modern soul

Social source share

13 hours ago, Soulfusion said:

That Jasper Street Co. cut is what I consider to be soulful house. Personally I find a lot of the 'beats' employed in house somewhat formulaic with the occasional tune elevated by the quality of the vocalist(s).

It's a great record (got a lot of this stuff when it was fairly new on CD thanks to Roger Williams) - but I'd certainly agree a lot of it's pretty formulaic - specially when you listen to 20 odd artists in a row where the percussion track is pretty much interchangeable... And of course it's now 15 years old - older than some 60s discoveries were when they were being played at Stafford! Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!