Philly Soul on spanish RNE and RAC 105 in the 90's

There was a time (1992 - 93) when, at work in a advertising agency as graphic designer I hear the radio every day. There was the program "Área Reservada" (Radio Nacional de España / Radio 2) on wich Antonio Fernández played the new and the classic of the fusion scene (from Michael McDonald to Jobim, from Toto or Tij Van Leer to Incognito) and some Soul. He dedicated around a entire month to mono graphics by Philadelphia International catalogue, playing essentially the classics (the only "rarities" were "Tight Money" by Leon Huff or "The Spirit's In It" by Patti LaBelle among little others).

I think I well remember his 10 Philly favorites he played at the end of the last program dedicated to the green label, making a comment about every one:

01- "Me & Mrs. Jones" - Billy Paul

02- "Backstabbers" - O'Jays

03- "Show You The Way To Go" - The Jacksons

04- "I'm Not In Love" - Dee Dee Sharp

05- "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" - McFadden & Whitehead

06- "Do It Anyway You Wanna" - People's Choice

07- "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" - Lou Rawls

08- "Let's Clean Up The Ghetto" - Philly Intl. All-Stars

09- "Sexy" - MFSB

10- "First Lights In The Morning" - Dexter Wansel

In the case of catalonian Ràdio Associació de Catalunya (RAC 105), they made every friday night a special program called "Black Rac" dedicated during one hour(the first hour of the total duration of 3 hours) called "Filadèlfia 105". I don't recall they made a "10 favorites" or "20 favorites" or any concrete play list but during months every friday they played the Philly classics and many rarities. Particulary the radio DJ seemed in love with "I Can't Stop (Turning You On)" by Silk. Every friday night during 1 hour he played from Anthony White to Jones Girls passing trough O'Jays or Monk Montgomery. An exhaustive sight to the rich and diverse catalogue of G & H revered label. Also they played some new things by classic Philly artists as the last album by The O'Jays ("recent" at this moment) "Heartbreakers" on Emi or the last work by Teddy on Elektra Asylum.

Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!