Tangeers (Tan-geers) - who were they ?

Two of the members of the group were Elaine Jones and Earle Beall.  They are on a photo that went through ebay some years ago stood behind a Dj or studio technician.  A mate owns the photo, it had been defaced, someone had coloured the hair in for some reason.  I will ask if it is ok to post.

Social source share

2 hours ago, the yank said:

I appears that the writer and producer were based out of Maryland - 

plato.jpg

The producers/writers/arranger of their Okeh sides were also involved with a group called Gross National Product, who recorded on Guilford, they sound very folk/rock/white so I don't think any clues lie in that direction.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Roburt said:

Some record shop owners are rip off merchants … I took my copy of this ad along to the store but the guy there said he could no longer honour the 59c price and I'd have to pay $1.25 for a copy of the 45 … I told him where to stick it, not gonna get ripped off like that. 

Tangeers45ad68x.jpg

Another 2 members of the group then :)

Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

So the Okeh record would have been recorded at "Bradley Recording Company" ?

Bradley.jpg

Quite probably as the producers Bollon/Plato have links to records by the Koffee Beans on the Format label that were also recorded there. 

Social source share

Guess the group had local Baltimore management, who had arranged to cut their tracks locally & then had them placed with 'out of town' Okeh Records. Their tracks must have been licensed by Okeh a good few weeks before their 45 hit the shops.

Their management obviously then got them to visit local 'black music' radio stns to help plug the 45. It's a pity that, when the 45 had been released in Nov 68, the group members didn't visit local radio stns till the end of Nov 68 … … as the local association of radio stn jocks was staging a big charity live show at a local top venue, the Embassy Rooms, on November 28th. If they'd made contact earlier, no doubt they could have been added to the local acts who'd been booked to appear on that show … 

BY THE WAY … Arthur Conley (who had been based in Baltimore in 64/65) had obviously retained his local links (& performed on this show) even though he'd headed off with Otis Redding in late summer 65. Otis had been masterminding Arthur's music career but after his death in Dec 67, Arthur seems to have renewed his links back in Baltimore.

BaltShowNov68.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

There's a chance it was the same guy as he'd remained in the Silhouettes till 68 when that group fell apart. ALSO, although the doo-wop group were Philly based, he was originally from Donora, Pa -- a town located between Pittsburgh & Baltimore.

From the Balto photo, Earl is obviously an oldish guy AND he looks a lot like the guy top left in this picture of the doo-wop group … 

RobbK will probably know a lot more than me about the Silhouettes.

SilhoettesPic.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Roburt said:

There's a chance it was the same guy as he'd remained in the Silhouettes till 68 when that group fell apart. ALSO, although the doo-wop group were Philly based, he was originally from Donora, Pa -- a town located between Pittsburgh & Baltimore.

From the Balto photo, Earl is obviously an oldish guy AND he looks a lot like the guy top left in this picture of the doo-wop group … 

RobbK will probably know a lot more than me about the Silhouettes.

SilhoettesPic.jpg

Looking like he might be

Earl.jpg

Social source share

• Personally,I don't think they are the same-Earl Beal of  The Silhouettes had only one 'L' in his surname and,perhaps most tellingly,he was born in 1924,which would have made him 44 at the time of The Tangeers photo above; the Tangeers' Earle Beall looks  late 20's/ early 30's,maybe mid-30's at most,to me
Edited by Michael V
Typographical error
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Michael V said:
  • Personally,I don't think they are the same-Earl Beal of  The Silhouettes had only only 'L' in his surname and,perhaps, most tellingly,he was born in 1924,which would have made him 44 at the time of The Tangeers photo above; the Tangeers' Earl Beall looks  late 20's/ early 30's,maybe mid-30's at most,to me

That's a great point which makes this very confusing as well

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/17721686/earl-thomas-beal

Social source share

4 hours ago, colouredman said:

Im pretty sure someone told me once that PLATO is a super well known producer like Jimmy Wisner.

yes you might be right there;

Plato =Plato Theopholos ( maybe weird, i know...but it could be so-OR- it could be a psudo based on Greek philisophy).

He (Plato Prexy) and Ron Bollon(VP) had two labels-Nadine and Format. I don't know if there were any releases?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

I think Nadine may have just been the publishing company, there were 2 releases on Format by the Koffee Beans.

This an article I found about Koffee Beans

https://www.baltimoreorless.com/2015/10/koffee-beans-ad-man-been-a-long-time-1966-baltimore-psychedelic-45rpms/

Koffee Been.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Label
Social source share

9 hours ago, Michael V said:
  • Personally,I don't think they are the same-Earl Beal of  The Silhouettes had only only 'L' in his surname and,perhaps, most tellingly,he was born in 1924,which would have made him 44 at the time of The Tangeers photo above; the Tangeers' Earl Beall looks  late 20's/ early 30's,maybe mid-30's at most,to me

I agree that the Earl Beal from The older, Philly Silhouettes couldn't be the guy in The Tangeers.  But, possibly  he was his son (named Earl Beal Jr., who simply added an e and an l to his 2 names for a "stage name".  It would be quite a coincidence to come from generally the same area (Baltimore and Philadelphia shared almost as many local ties as Baltimore and Washington, D.C., and the 2 men look enough alike to be father and son.  And the ages work a LOT better than the Tangeer being 44 years old. 

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

I think Nadine may have just been the publishing company, there were 2 releases on Format by the Koffee Beans.

It may well have been a pub co too - but it was definately a record label he owned.( as earlier post...never found a release)

Social source share

10 hours ago, Roburt said:

The Silhouettes were re-formed in 1980 when oldies doo-wop group shows were in vogue. They stayed together, earning decent money for live show appearances till 1993. The group's Earl Beal was with them throughout their 2nd incarnation. 

The original Silhouettes were not the same line up as the ones on the 1968 Goodway single, Bill Horton and Ray Edwards had been replaced by John Wilson and Otis Lewis. 

Social source share

20 hours ago, Steve G said:

100% right- I have seen an acetate......you need to buy my book LOL.

I know Steve, Me too and honestly I just collect records, not books. As you have made money out of it (hopefully), perhaps you could be kind enough to share history :)

Tan.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Plato Productions (Ron Bollon, Plato Theophilos) 1404 Kingsbridge Turn Crofton, Md. 2113 506 Newberry St. Joppo, Md. 21085 (301) 679-4117

Newark Label Bows. Newark Records, a new diskery specializing in R&B and pops singles, is to be distributed by Ambassador Records of Newark, N.J. The label's debut records are by vocalist Ron Price, produced by Ron Bollon & Sam Kaufman (Kay-Gee distributors Baltimore)  for Ronsam Productions, and the TNJ'S, produced by Lou Henderson.

When  Scotty Miller was 12 years old and growing up in Trenton, New Jersey, he got together with a friend, Raymond Earl, and formed a band. They called themselves the Imperialistics and played at talent shows and junior high school dances. Today, nearly fifteen years later, Miller and Earl are still together as the nucleus of Instant Funk, a fast -rising band who have just released their self -titled debut album on Salsoul Records, which includes the bulleted single, "I Got My Mind Made Up (You Can Get It Girl)." The years in between, however, have been marked by frustrations as well as triumphs. At first, Miller's and Earl's rise to the top proceeded smoothly. Miller's brother, Kim, joined the band while in high school, and the group became a nine -piece outfit known as the TNJ's. The TNJ's played club dates in New Jersey and nearby Philadelphia, establishing their reputation as a hot funk band.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether the TNJ's were just a vocal group and what became Instant Funk were just the backing group.

Bunny Sigler spotted the backing band and took then to Sigma Sound.

Could the TNJ’s be the Tan Geers or possibly TaN J’(e)erS  since TNJ’S stands for Trenton New Jerseyers ?. The TNJ’s first record precedes  the Tan Geers. Could Bollon et al have recorded the TNJs and put the record out under the Tangeers (Tanjeers) ?.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I know Steve, Me too and honestly I just collect records, not books. As you have made money out of it (hopefully), perhaps you could be kind enough to share history :)

Tan.jpg

Am I missing something, where does it say where it was recorded ?. Also note group name mispelt.

Social source share

On 14/04/2019 at 07:10, Blackpoolsoul said:

So the Okeh record would have been recorded at "Bradley Recording Company" ?

Bradley.jpg

21 hours ago, Steve G said:

100% right- I have seen an acetate......you need to buy my book LOL.

Are we totally sure about this ?. Nick Barker who arranged at least 2 Tangeers records also worked for Accent Sound Studios also in  Baltimore, he also recorded there in a group called Gross National Product. Almost all of the Bradley output appears to be almost exclusively religious/gospel type stuff.

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Are we totally sure about this ?. Nick Barker who arranged at least 2 Tangeers records also worked for Accent Sound Studios also in  Baltimore, he also recorded there in a group called Gross National Product. Almost all of the Bradley output appears to be almost exclusively religious/gospel type stuff.

That maybe my fault it was stuck in my brain somewhere about it and at my age there's a lot of misty stuff going on :)

Social source share

1 hour ago, Kegsy said:

Plato Productions (Ron Bollon, Plato Theophilos) 1404 Kingsbridge Turn Crofton, Md. 2113 506 Newberry St. Joppo, Md. 21085 (301) 679-4117

Newark Label Bows. Newark Records, a new diskery specializing in R&B and pops singles, is to be distributed by Ambassador Records of Newark, N.J. The label's debut records are by vocalist Ron Price, produced by Ron Bollon & Sam Kaufman (Kay-Gee distributors Baltimore)  for Ronsam Productions, and the TNJ'S, produced by Lou Henderson.

When  Scotty Miller was 12 years old and growing up in Trenton, New Jersey, he got together with a friend, Raymond Earl, and formed a band. They called themselves the Imperialistics and played at talent shows and junior high school dances. Today, nearly fifteen years later, Miller and Earl are still together as the nucleus of Instant Funk, a fast -rising band who have just released their self -titled debut album on Salsoul Records, which includes the bulleted single, "I Got My Mind Made Up (You Can Get It Girl)." The years in between, however, have been marked by frustrations as well as triumphs. At first, Miller's and Earl's rise to the top proceeded smoothly. Miller's brother, Kim, joined the band while in high school, and the group became a nine -piece outfit known as the TNJ's. The TNJ's played club dates in New Jersey and nearby Philadelphia, establishing their reputation as a hot funk band.

There seems to be some confusion as to whether the TNJ's were just a vocal group and what became Instant Funk were just the backing group.

Bunny Sigler spotted the backing band and took then to Sigma Sound.

Could the TNJ’s be the Tan Geers or possibly TaN J’(e)erS  since TNJ’S stands for Trenton New Jerseyers ?. The TNJ’s first record precedes  the Tan Geers. Could Bollon et al have recorded the TNJs and put the record out under the Tangeers (Tanjeers) ?.

Wow that would be really something

The TNJ's were backed Instant Funk

https://www.wefunkradio.com/song/play/600_ap/instant+funk/bodyshine

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
updated
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Wow that would be really something

When I was sussing it all out I found loads of other stuff which links, the goings on in Baltimore at the time, with some very seriously good soul/northern records. It's worth a whole new thread, but I haven't got to the bottom of everything as yet. Look out for a Tangeers Connections thread pretty soon. 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Tan.jpg

Given all the time and effort Steve put in maybe you should buy the book 😉 

Where is the scan from?  

I have the book but not got round to reading yet. 

Social source share

10 minutes ago, chalky said:

The TNJs were all male, a photo on discogs shows them as a 5 piece. The Tan Geers has at least one female singer and Earl Beall doesn’t figure in the TNJs from what we know. 

Discogs also shows their release on Lucky  Lou being written by E. Jones and Lou Henderson who produced their Newark outing. Perhaps E. Jones was Elaine Jones but wasn't actually in the group until later. I've already established the TNJ's preceeded the Tangeers.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Discogs also shows their release on Lucky  Lou being written by E. Jones and Lou Henderson who produced their Newark outing. Perhaps E. Jones was Elaine Jones but wasn't actually in the group.

Nope, Elijah Jones, one of the group. 

Social source share

I don't believe there is any link between The Tangeers and The TNJ's - two totally different groups as far as I am aware.

Steve's Wand book does give more info on The Tangeers he says they were Cora Boykins (replaced by Elaine Jones) , Bobby Covington, Richard Quarles, Earle Beale and Bill Hagie at one point .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!