Tangeers (Tan-geers) - who were they ?

4 minutes ago, johndelve said:

I don't believe there is any link between The Tangeers and The TNJ's - two totally different groups as far as I am aware.

Steve's Wand book does give more info on The Tangeers he says they were Cora Boykins (replaced by Elaine Jones) , Bobby Covington, Richard Quarles, Earle Beale and Bill Hagie at one point .

I’ve yet to see a link even if there was and what links have been given seem a little far fetched. 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, chalky said:

I’ve yet to see a link even if there was and what links have been given seem a little far fetched. 

The link is a guy called Oscar Bucky Buchman, who owned record industry companies/labels etc.in Baltimore at the same time as Ron Bollon the Tangeers producer. Buchman also started Newark Records who recorded the TNJS. 

Social source share

“She’s Not Ready” was not copyrighted until March 196& and was plugged in billboard in May 1968 under the distributors info. It is also in a radio chart of some sort for that year in April. It only just predates the Tangeers.  The info above is on 45cat. 

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

The link is a guy called Oscar Bucky Buchman, who owned record industry companies/labels etc.in Baltimore at the same time as Ron Bollon the Tangeers producer. Buchman also started Newark Records who recorded the TNJS. 

My guess is Ron Bollon and Plato did the production at their own company and leased the two sides to Okeh. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

7 minutes ago, chalky said:

My guess is Ron Bollon and Plato did the production at their own company and leased the two sides to Okeh. 

Fair enough but that still doesn't prove the Tangeers were not also the TNJ's. Both seen to be involved with people on the Baltimore scene and both seem to have connections to New Jersey via Bucky Buchman. 

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Fair enough but that still doesn't prove the Tangeers were not also the TNJ's. Both seen to be involved with people on the Baltimore scene and both seem to have connections to New Jersey via Bucky Buchman. 

I think the two line ups given say otherwise, at least until they can be disproved? 

I would  imagine the people concerned were involved with plenty of groups. Do we know if the TNJs went to Baltimore or Bucky etc to Trenton, the latter looking at the various writings. 

Social source share

46 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Hope this video helps- the group ( TNJs)  is clearly identified - 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

20 minutes ago, the yank said:

If you read the comments from the person who posted the video, it says it includes photos of the first group and the

last group before they disbanded. 

So the TNJ's line up also changed over the years, holy moly this is a complete nightmare !!!!!.

Social source share

16 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Are we totally sure about this ?. Nick Barker who arranged at least 2 Tangeers records also worked for Accent Sound Studios also in  Baltimore, he also recorded there in a group called Gross National Product. Almost all of the Bradley output appears to be almost exclusively religious/gospel type stuff.

Yes there was a Bradley Recording studios acetate of one of their O'Keh singles on eBay a few years ago. I did think of bidding on it so I could put it in my book, but in the end didn't for some reason.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

13 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Again, where books come in useful Part 54 😂. "Baltimore Sounds" lists the Tangiers / Tangeers as initially: Cora Boykins, Bobby Covington, Richard Quarles, Earl Beale, and Bill Hagie. Boykins was later replaced by Elaine Jones. By 1970 the group disbanded and Quarles and Jones became Over Easy (no recordings that I know of).

The TNJs are a different group from Trenton and were led by Elijah Jones and, as well as their own 45s, did back up vocals for various Philly records including Bunny Sigler. They are on his "Love train" for example. 

Instant Funk (also from Trenton) are a different group again (they too did back ups on Philly Records). They started as Music Machine. In that incarnation they actually backed up the TNJs on some of their recordings. I have a TNJs record from 77/78 (quite obscure), which further shows that they were separate groups. 

It is possible, but merely speculation, that one member of the TNJs could have been in Instant Funk at some point, since they were both from the same town, but I have seen zero evidence of this. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Steve G said:

It is possible, but merely speculation, that one member of the TNJs could have been in Instant Funk at some point, since they were both from the same town, but I have seen zero evidence of this. 

Elijah Jones is documented as being in both groups, he also recorded as E-Jon on Apex records out of Trenton, and as Elijah john on Keylock/Key records a NY label.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

47 minutes ago, chalky said:

But Elijah wasn’t in the Tangeers, nor were any of the TBJs or Instant Funk according to any of the documented material we have. We are just getting sidetracked. 

I agree we are but I have found this so now we can get back to the Tangeers :) (in fact I think we have covered it now ) thanks for everyone's input, you should be proud making history.

Robert Earl and the Millers Brothers (Scott and Kim.) TNJ's But that could be wrong was well, it appears Ed Hogan was into their history

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/kim-miller-mn0002291567

https://www.trentonmakesmusic.org/article/the-tnjs/

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Updated with Link
Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Robert Earl and the Millers Brothers (Scott and Kim.) TNJ's But that could be wrong was well, it appears Ed Hogan was into their history

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/kim-miller-mn0002291567

https://www.trentonmakesmusic.org/article/the-tnjs/

Neither of those articles are correct the TNJS recorded 4 singles and the one said to be on Cameo was actually on Chess.

Social source share

21 minutes ago, Benji said:

Just a short question. Does somebody know where the name "Tangeers" comes from?

They were The Tangiers before they became the Tangeers. Possibly the same group with the Jetsons (Pumpkin & Date).  The Pumpkin one though is said to be Charlie Rich sped up?   Maybe they were named after a nightclub, popular name at one time, or after something in a movie?  Maybe Steve can shed some light on this?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

2 hours ago, chalky said:

They were The Tangiers before they became the Tangeers. Possibly the same group with the Jetsons (Pumpkin & Date).  The Pumpkin one though is said to be Charlie Rich sped up?   Maybe they were named after a nightclub, popular name at one time, or after something in a movie?  Maybe Steve can shed some light on this?

Yes the same Tangeers group with the Jetsons (Baltimore Sounds book) - apparently the two groups performed together locally at various gigs, so guess it made sense to put out the Date 45. As to why they were called the Tangiers, no idea, they formed in 1955.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

3 hours ago, chalky said:

Upon looking the Tangiers on Decca look like they are the Hollywood Flames.

Not 100% sure but... I've heard that the Hollywood Flames, The Tangiers (Decca), Jets (Aladdin), ? Marks (Swing Time) , 
   Turks (Cash) and the Satellites (Class)  are basically all the same group !  I think there were a few more aliases also. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, chalky said:

This guy has them listed in his bands section, but that's all

https://baltimorejam.org/historian.html

Social source share

5 hours ago, the yank said:

Not 100% sure but... I've heard that the Hollywood Flames, The Tangiers (Decca), Jets (Aladdin), ? Marks (Swing Time) , 
   Turks (Cash) and the Satellites (Class)  are basically all the same group !  I think there were a few more aliases also. 

https://doo-wop.blogg.org/the-tangiers-1-a116517900

Looks like more

https://www.discogs.com/artist/6337867-The-Tangiers-3

Social source share

41 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This guy has them listed in his bands section, but that's all

https://baltimorejam.org/historian.html

The Decca group consist of Bobby Byrd and Earl Nelson. Pretty sure none of the Tangiers on other labels are the same group as our Baltimore group.  

https://doo-wop.blogg.org/tangiers-2-c26505418

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

10 hours ago, the yank said:

Does anyone know if the Ron Bollons mentioned in the 2 pics are the same person?

The distributors were based on Guilford Street which is also one of the labels mentioned- 

plato.jpg

new deal.jpg

I think that's a fair assumption, Bollon produced a record on the Guilford label, for a group called Gross National Product, the group included Nick Barker who was the arranger on the Tangeers records. The Guilford label was owned by Oscar 'Bucky' Buchman, who owned another distributors called  Redisco One Stop also on Guilford Ave. Guilford had 2 releases by B.B. and the Oscars, both produced by Buchman. 

Edit.

I think Bollon also had something to do with Newark records, Bollon produced on the label, and the TNJs recorded on it, which was why I wondered if the Tangeers and TNJ's may be connected, as there were strong links back to Baltimore.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

This is the building on Guilford Ave (Balto) where New Deal Record Service Corp was based (#1601). After them, it was occupied for many years by Weant Press Incorporated (a printing outfit) and then sold off to a group of artisans / craftsman who make & sell their wares out of the place.

It looks more than suitable as the base for a record distributor (loads of storage & office space). Bradley's Studios wasn't too far away (a bit further east & north of this location). Doesn't look like the building that housed the studio still exists.

BaltRecServiceBuildg.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Al Levine also spent many years working in the record biz … Seems he had been part of New York based Ideal Distributors in the 50's but broke away from them to start up NEW DEAL RECORD SERVICES in the early 60's. From an original base in New York, that organisation expanded and set up bases in a number of cities. Seems Baltimore was one of the later bases they had (after New York; New Jersey; Florida; Hazelwood, Missouri & LA). They morphed into Interstate Rec Distributors in 65 but the larger outfit went bust in 1966 taking Rochelle Park, NJ based Garden State Rec Dist and Florida Rec Dist / Sunshine State Dist down with them.

NewDealDistribs60s.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 4 years later...

I was meaning to bring a little new info to this topic after the original OP in April 2019. After the initial post I did some digging… but got side-tracked, and so i totally forgot. Until…John M’s auction listing of ‘Let My Heart…’ (ending 25/10/2023) jogged me to ‘post -up’.

Group names can be found on Discogs and elsewhere. I’m going to touch on the other folks associated with the groups recording.

Better known locally as ‘Tike’, Plato Theophilos wrote the lyrics and the melody on ‘Let My Heart..'.

Nick Barker was a senior at the University of Maryland. Recorded separately on 3 tracks Nick wrote the music for the musicians. 12 violins, 9 Brass, 3 Rhythm. Vocals were added, and Ron Bollon, ‘Tike’ and Joe Bradley did the mixing at his studio. Ron Bollon who was a native New Yorker working in Baltimore, took it to Okeh. If the record could do well, they would get finance for more projects so they ‘shopped’ the 45 around the DJ’s and Radio Stations (as per previous post Al Jefferson at WWIN) including Eddie C at WEBB, with the help of some members of the group, ‘Tike’ and Fred Teves promo man at Schwartz Bros.

Plato Theophilos (Tike) was an entrepreneurial guy. Since 1974 he had owned and ran Revolution Bar, and then in 1988 opened another bar called Rev on Maryland Ave, and his connections continued with WHFS Radio (Annapolis) DJ’s showing up on opening night. Rev maybe didn’t do so well? -because in 1989 Rev and an after-hours club called Cignel merged as Studio 10 on Lafayette Ave. There was an intention to use it as a ‘studio’ for record promo parties. Perhaps lofty ambitions. Plato was owner manager.

Some other associations in print at Baltimore Sounds by Joe Vaccarino;

Tangiers & Jetsons 1965 p479, Chancellors as backing group 1968 & name change from Tangiers to Tan Geers p480.

Plato also managed Koffee Beans and name-changed them to Gross National Product, Nick Barker on keyboards, p194.Three members of the band had been together with the Jetsons p257.

Jim Buckley ‘Third Time Today on Format Records, Bollon & Plato produced p59.

Ron Price recorded at Bradley studios and released on Newark Records co-produced by Bollon p376.

There are more I’m sure, and even think Nick Barker had been in the Uptowns who backed Clay Hunt (Bay Sound).

Social source share

On 18/04/2019 at 16:29, The Yank said:

This is all true.  The Tangiers on Decca WERE the same group on Specialty, and same as The Jets on Aladdin, ? Marks on Swing Time, Turks on Cash (with Jesse Belvin added), and Bobby Day & Satellites on Class.  They had Robert (Bobby Byrd (Day) and other L.A. resident singers in their group.  They were MUCH older than the Baltimore group, with NO connection possible that I can imagine.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!