Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Blackpoolsoul

Tangeers (Tan-geers) - who were they ?

Look At Your Box Blackpoolsoul on

Posted
2 minutes ago, chalky said:

Nope, Elijah Jones, one of the group. 

Which group Tangeers or TNJ's, perhaps he had a sister.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Which group Tangeers or TNJ's, perhaps he had a sister.

TNJs of course. Think yer clutching at straws mate personally. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, johndelve said:

I don't believe there is any link between The Tangeers and The TNJ's - two totally different groups as far as I am aware.

Steve's Wand book does give more info on The Tangeers he says they were Cora Boykins (replaced by Elaine Jones) , Bobby Covington, Richard Quarles, Earle Beale and Bill Hagie at one point .

I’ve yet to see a link even if there was and what links have been given seem a little far fetched. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 minute ago, chalky said:

TNJs of course. Think yer clutching at straws mate personally. 

Maybe but I can't find anything about who made up the TNJS, where have you got Elijah Jones from ?.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Maybe but I can't find anything about who made up the TNJS, where have you got Elijah Jones from ?.

He is mentioned here for starters as a group member

http://www.trentonmakesmusic.org/article/the-tnjs/

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 minutes ago, chalky said:

I’ve yet to see a link even if there was and what links have been given seem a little far fetched. 

The link is a guy called Oscar Bucky Buchman, who owned record industry companies/labels etc.in Baltimore at the same time as Ron Bollon the Tangeers producer. Buchman also started Newark Records who recorded the TNJS. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

According to Dave Moore's book "The Philly Sound", the TNJs were -

Al Stroman, Joe Anderson, Barry Higginbotham, James Gost and Elijah Jones.

 

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

The Soul Harmony Singles book references Elijah Jones as TNJ's lead singer.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

“She’s Not Ready” was not copyrighted until March 196& and was plugged in billboard in May 1968 under the distributors info. It is also in a radio chart of some sort for that year in April. It only just predates the Tangeers.  The info above is on 45cat. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

The link is a guy called Oscar Bucky Buchman, who owned record industry companies/labels etc.in Baltimore at the same time as Ron Bollon the Tangeers producer. Buchman also started Newark Records who recorded the TNJS. 

My guess is Ron Bollon and Plato did the production at their own company and leased the two sides to Okeh. 

Edited by chalky

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
7 minutes ago, chalky said:

My guess is Ron Bollon and Plato did the production at their own company and leased the two sides to Okeh. 

Fair enough but that still doesn't prove the Tangeers were not also the TNJ's. Both seen to be involved with people on the Baltimore scene and both seem to have connections to New Jersey via Bucky Buchman. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Fair enough but that still doesn't prove the Tangeers were not also the TNJ's. Both seen to be involved with people on the Baltimore scene and both seem to have connections to New Jersey via Bucky Buchman. 

I think the two line ups given say otherwise, at least until they can be disproved? 

I would  imagine the people concerned were involved with plenty of groups. Do we know if the TNJs went to Baltimore or Bucky etc to Trenton, the latter looking at the various writings. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
28 minutes ago, chalky said:

He is mentioned here for starters as a group member

http://www.trentonmakesmusic.org/article/the-tnjs/

 

25 minutes ago, the yank said:

According to Dave Moore's book "The Philly Sound", the TNJs were -

Al Stroman, Joe Anderson, Barry Higginbotham, James Gost and Elijah 

Then who is Greg Jamerson who appears on the video ? 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, chalky said:

Given all the time and effort Steve put in maybe you should buy the book 😉 

Where is the scan from?  

I have the book but not got round to reading yet. 

Popsikey

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

 

Then who is Greg Jamerson who appears on the video ? 

I haven’t watched mate, only got me phone st the minute and hard work on that. Need to charge laptop too. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

 

Then who is Greg Jamerson who appears on the video ? 

Dave is the man as usual

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
Just now, Blackpoolsoul said:

Popsikey

Dodgy?  Do you have the link?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
28 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

 

Then who is Greg Jamerson who appears on the video ? 

      If you read the comments from the person who posted the video, it says it includes photos of the first group and the

     last group before they disbanded. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
46 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Fair enough but that still doesn't prove the Tangeers were not also the TNJ's. Both seen to be involved with people on the Baltimore scene and both seem to have connections to New Jersey via Bucky Buchman. 

     Hope this video helps- the group ( TNJs)  is clearly identified - 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
20 minutes ago, the yank said:

      If you read the comments from the person who posted the video, it says it includes photos of the first group and the

     last group before they disbanded. 

So the TNJ's line up also changed over the years, holy moly this is a complete nightmare !!!!!.

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Instant Funk look to be still around on Facebook, I'm not, so i can't contact them. Maybe someone else could and ask them about the TNJ's and possibly the tangeers too.

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
22 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

So the TNJ's line up also changed over the years, holy moly this is a complete nightmare !!!!!.

 

Oh Dear. what have I done :) Don't you love it though !!!! and remember we are all creating history "Nearly Forgotten"

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Kegsy said:

 

Are we totally sure about this ?. Nick Barker who arranged at least 2 Tangeers records also worked for Accent Sound Studios also in  Baltimore, he also recorded there in a group called Gross National Product. Almost all of the Bradley output appears to be almost exclusively religious/gospel type stuff.

Yes there was a Bradley Recording studios acetate of one of their O'Keh singles on eBay a few years ago. I did think of bidding on it so I could put it in my book, but in the end didn't for some reason.

Edited by Steve G

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Fair enough but that still doesn't prove the Tangeers were not also the TNJ's. Both seen to be involved with people on the Baltimore scene and both seem to have connections to New Jersey via Bucky Buchman. 

Again, where books come in useful Part 54 😂. "Baltimore Sounds" lists the Tangiers / Tangeers as initially: Cora Boykins, Bobby Covington, Richard Quarles, Earl Beale, and Bill Hagie. Boykins was later replaced by Elaine Jones. By 1970 the group disbanded and Quarles and Jones became Over Easy (no recordings that I know of).

The TNJs are a different group from Trenton and were led by Elijah Jones and, as well as their own 45s, did back up vocals for various Philly records including Bunny Sigler. They are on his "Love train" for example. 

Instant Funk (also from Trenton) are a different group again (they too did back ups on Philly Records). They started as Music Machine. In that incarnation they actually backed up the TNJs on some of their recordings. I have a TNJs record from 77/78 (quite obscure), which further shows that they were separate groups. 

It is possible, but merely speculation, that one member of the TNJs could have been in Instant Funk at some point, since they were both from the same town, but I have seen zero evidence of this. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by Steve G
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Steve G said:

It is possible, but merely speculation, that one member of the TNJs could have been in Instant Funk at some point, since they were both from the same town, but I have seen zero evidence of this. 

Elijah Jones is documented as being in both groups, he also recorded as E-Jon on Apex records out of Trenton, and as Elijah john on Keylock/Key records a NY label.

Edited by Kegsy

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

This Empty Place is definitely the better of their releases for me (top 3 record for me), LMHASBH/WTUOMT is still a great double sider but not a shade on this

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

But Elijah wasn’t in the Tangeers, nor were any of the TNJs or Instant Funk according to any of the documented material we have. We are just getting sidetracked. 

Edited by chalky

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

meant to say great photograph whoever posted it, first time I've seen it

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, chalky said:

But Elijah wasn’t in the Tangeers, nor were any of the TBJs or Instant Funk according to any of the documented material we have. We are just getting sidetracked. 

I agree we are but I have found this so now we can get back to the Tangeers :) (in fact I think we have covered it now ) thanks for everyone's input, you should be proud making history.

Robert Earl and the Millers Brothers (Scott and Kim.) TNJ's But that could be wrong was well, it appears Ed Hogan was into their history

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/kim-miller-mn0002291567

http://www.trentonmakesmusic.org/article/the-tnjs/

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Updated with Link

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Robert Earl and the Millers Brothers (Scott and Kim.) TNJ's But that could be wrong was well, it appears Ed Hogan was into their history

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/kim-miller-mn0002291567

http://www.trentonmakesmusic.org/article/the-tnjs/

Neither of those articles are correct the TNJS recorded 4 singles and the one said to be on Cameo was actually on Chess.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, Kegsy said:

Elijah Jones is documented as being in both groups, he also recorded as E-Jon on Apex records out of Trenton, and as Elijah john on Keylock/Key records a NY label.

Can you inform me where that is?

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Can you inform me where that 

http://www.trentonmakesmusic.org/article/the-tnjs/

The other link is Discogs search, for Instant Funk, I'm on the mobile can't seem to copy that link.

Edited by Kegsy

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Just a short question. Does somebody know where the name "Tangeers" comes from?

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Benji said:

Just a short question. Does somebody know where the name "Tangeers" comes from?

They were The Tangiers before they became the Tangeers. Possibly the same group with the Jetsons (Pumpkin & Date).  The Pumpkin one though is said to be Charlie Rich sped up?   Maybe they were named after a nightclub, popular name at one time, or after something in a movie?  Maybe Steve can shed some light on this?

Edited by chalky

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Upon looking the Tangiers on Decca look like they are the Hollywood Flames.

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chalky said:

They were The Tangiers before they became the Tangeers. Possibly the same group with the Jetsons (Pumpkin & Date).  The Pumpkin one though is said to be Charlie Rich sped up?   Maybe they were named after a nightclub, popular name at one time, or after something in a movie?  Maybe Steve can shed some light on this?

Yes the same Tangeers group with the Jetsons (Baltimore Sounds book) - apparently the two groups performed together locally at various gigs, so guess it made sense to put out the Date 45. As to why they were called the Tangiers, no idea, they formed in 1955.

Edited by Steve G

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, chalky said:

Upon looking the Tangiers on Decca look like they are the Hollywood Flames.

  Not 100% sure but... I've heard that the Hollywood Flames, The Tangiers (Decca), Jets (Aladdin), ? Marks (Swing Time) , 
   Turks (Cash) and the Satellites (Class)  are basically all the same group !  I think there were a few more aliases also. 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, chalky said:

They were The Tangiers before they became the Tangeers. Possibly the same group with the Jetsons (Pumpkin & Date).  The Pumpkin one though is said to be Charlie Rich sped up?   Maybe they were named after a nightclub, popular name at one time, or after something in a movie?  Maybe Steve can shed some light on this?

This guy has them listed in his bands section, but that's all

https://baltimorejam.org/historian.html

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 hours ago, the yank said:

  Not 100% sure but... I've heard that the Hollywood Flames, The Tangiers (Decca), Jets (Aladdin), ? Marks (Swing Time) , 
   Turks (Cash) and the Satellites (Class)  are basically all the same group !  I think there were a few more aliases also. 

http://doo-wop.blogg.org/the-tangiers-1-a116517900

Looks like more

https://www.discogs.com/artist/6337867-The-Tangiers-3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This guy has them listed in his bands section, but that's all

https://baltimorejam.org/historian.html

The Decca group consist of Bobby Byrd and Earl Nelson. Pretty sure none of the Tangiers on other labels are the same group as our Baltimore group.  

 

http://doo-wop.blogg.org/tangiers-2-c26505418

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Does anyone know if the Ron Bollons mentioned in the 2 pics are the same person?

The distributors were based on Guilford Street which is also one of the labels mentioned- 

plato.jpg

new deal.jpg

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, the yank said:

Does anyone know if the Ron Bollons mentioned in the 2 pics are the same person?

The distributors were based on Guilford Street which is also one of the labels mentioned- 

plato.jpg

new deal.jpg

I think that's a fair assumption, Bollon produced a record on the Guilford label, for a group called Gross National Product, the group included Nick Barker who was the arranger on the Tangeers records. The Guilford label was owned by Oscar 'Bucky' Buchman, who owned another distributors called  Redisco One Stop also on Guilford Ave. Guilford had 2 releases by B.B. and the Oscars, both produced by Buchman. 

Edit.

I think Bollon also had something to do with Newark records, Bollon produced on the label, and the TNJs recorded on it, which was why I wondered if the Tangeers and TNJ's may be connected, as there were strong links back to Baltimore.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

This is the building on Guilford Ave (Balto) where New Deal Record Service Corp was based (#1601). After them, it was occupied for many years by Weant Press Incorporated (a printing outfit) and then sold off to a group of artisans / craftsman who make & sell their wares out of the place.

It looks more than suitable as the base for a record distributor (loads of storage & office space). Bradley's Studios wasn't too far away (a bit further east & north of this location). Doesn't look like the building that housed the studio still exists.

BaltRecServiceBuildg.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

It would appear Rob Bollon was still active in the 90s and was owner of the Laurie Group of labels when they sold their back catalogue.....

Billboard 4 Jul 1992

808823306_Screenshot2019-04-20at12_02_06.png.a08807bcbb3f3cdef76b8767f76cceca.png

  • Up vote 2

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Al Levine also spent many years working in the record biz … Seems he had been part of New York based Ideal Distributors in the 50's but broke away from them to start up NEW DEAL RECORD SERVICES in the early 60's. From an original base in New York, that organisation expanded and set up bases in a number of cities. Seems Baltimore was one of the later bases they had (after New York; New Jersey; Florida; Hazelwood, Missouri & LA). They morphed into Interstate Rec Distributors in 65 but the larger outfit went bust in 1966 taking Rochelle Park, NJ based Garden State Rec Dist and Florida Rec Dist / Sunshine State Dist down with them.

NewDealDistribs60s.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Get involved with the Source Forums

Join in with the discussion

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get the most out of Soul Source

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.