Mike profile photo

Video: BBC Superstar Djs - The Funk Mafia

Posted

Soul Source music video feature announcement - Just added to our soul music video feature ....

Name: BBC Superstar Djs - The Funk Mafia
Category: TV/Films
Date Added: 19/04/19
Submitter: mike

Video Description:

shown in 2000 one of a BBC uktv series 

Superstar Dj's The Funk Mafia

watch now...

PLAY VIDEO: BBC Superstar Djs - The Funk Mafia

Soul Source Soul Music Video Feature 2018

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Interesting film that sparked my memories of those years , attending Jazz Funk events including Reading All Dayers , Purley , and Lacey Lady, Crackers and 100 Club. I attended a Reading All Dayer .. my first .. I think it was about 1977 ..? or 78. It might not be the one mentioned by Chris Hill but the main room was Jazz Funk/Contemporary Soul and Northern in the smaller room . Id heard about Northern Soul by  then , but never been to an event and strayed into the Northern room and .. never really came out. I was hooked. Can't recall the DJ's but the records that stuck in my mind were The Fabulettes :Bigger They Are : Eddie Garigan : I wish I was : and Dobbie Grays Out on the Floor. The Jazz funk crowd invaded with a Conga at one point which I thought was totally disrespectful and unnecessary. As much as I still liked the modern music I felt many of Chris Hills antics were embarrassing and over the top.  He's right their were no fights that I saw but the scene was plagued by hand bag thefts which caused a lot of unease and scathing criticism from the DJs on stage.  Chris Hill's habit of talking over records left you feelings his ego was more important than the music but I cannot fault the Soul/Funk mafia for some great events and radio shows and breaking so many great tunes. Its funny to hear of the Oldies/Modern split debate that had been so prevalent in Northern Soul. The new circle of DJ's were inevitable but I personally felt it got a bit West End elitist with some of those clubs like the Wag. I think Norman Jay adopted a more middle ground musically and earnt a lot of respect .. and he' loves Northern . 

Share this forum post

soul source url

Soul Media - Audio/Video Forum

A soul radio, podcasts, video talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Soul and Funk for Sale
    Record Sales by Hermann on Sun 05 Apr 2020
    • 1 / 346
    • Hermann on 05 Apr 2020
  2. Video: 100 Club On-liner 28 Mar 2020 1 of 3 Adys set
    Soul Media by WoodButcher on Mon 30 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 339
    • WoodButcher on 30 Mar 2020
  3. Video: 100 Club On-liner 28 Mar 2020 2 of 3 Joels set
    • 1 / 130
  4. Video: 100 Club On-liner 28 Mar 2020 - 3 of 3 Andys set
    • 1 / 93
  5. Video: BlacKkKlansman - Too Late to Turn Back Now Scene
    All About the SOUL by Mike on Sun 29 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 154
    • Mike on 29 Mar 2020

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.