Under played Jackie Wilson

Richard

I just wanted to recomend a great Jackie Wilson track called I've Learned About Life which is the b side of Nobody But You. I think it's a real cracker but had never heard it played out before (why?), it has the same sort of tempo and feel as Because Of You. I know it's not a mega rarity but I think it should get a airing.

Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not underplayed to us at the Plinston dear Ricky where it has been spun many times over the past year (and for many many years at other local nights B4 that!) A great track it's true but check out some of his hidden lp tracks, many championed by our own king of lp collector Fingers inc. his brill' version of 'Open The Door To Your Heart' (that's Jackie and not Fingers version obviously!) and many others whose names escape me at the moment :-O

Talking of Jackie his Biog is a great read and rather apt considering the frenzy surrounding Mr Jackson at this time.

Social source share

That's great Big O, I'm just glad it's getting some dancefloor action, to me the song crys out "PLAY ME".

Yes indeed, Open The Doors by Jackie is another cracker.

I've not made it to Plinston yet but quite a few of my friends have been and said it's great. I'll have to make the trip soon.

All the best

Richard

Social source share

YEAH GREAT TRACK, BEEN PLAYIN MYSELF FOR A BIT TOO AT STOCKPORT GUILD HALL - CANT SAY I'VE HEARD HIS VERSION OF 'OPEN THE DOOR...' THOUGH, WHAT LP IS IT ON? WHILE ON THE SUBJECT - YOU MUST HAVE HEARD THE GREAT 70'S VERSION OF 'OPEN.....' BY BETTY WRIGHT ON HER 'EXPLOSION' LP ON RCA, ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE.

GRANT

Social source share

• 4 months later...

I enjoy playing a Lovely Way to Die, a soundtrack that I believe Jackie only had out on French EP - does anyone else play this or know if it got reissued?

Social source share

I enjoy playing a Lovely Way to Die, a soundtrack that I believe Jackie only had out on French EP - does anyone else play this or know if it got reissued?

Not sure if I know this one Paul. Had a quick look thorugh some tapes and can't find it. Anyone got an audio file???

Social source share

Paul everytime you play that everyone wants a copy it's an excellent record..

i'll just have to stick with my Jackie Wilson's "somebody up there likes you" Mexican coral EP...

Social source share

I've had the "Nobody But You" album for a while, and honestly can't remember the track, so i'm going to give it a spin ..........right now.

Social source share

Hi richard, yeah i enjoyed it, think i need a few more plays, i always liked the "it only happens when i look at you" track from the LP, and picked it up on a 7"(think it was never released in USA,sure some soul here will prove me wrong....)

Social source share

I've always thought "life" was overlooked - its a gorgeous track.

My fave 70's track is still "This love is real".

As for the 60's:"I'm the one to do it" was peak of perfection for me. Just thinking about that Fender Rhodes/guitar intro gives me gooseys.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marco

Agree with you Matt - "This Love is mine" is well worth a few spins. Wouldn't mind one myself as it happens.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

If you like "I've learned about life" check out "Didn't I", now that's a cracking tune. Lot's of great Jackie stuff out there and you don't have to pay a ton for it. Re "I've learned about life", we were playing that in Dublin back in '86 and it's never failed to fill the floor. Should be spun out more I agree

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

I was tipped to check out a track called "lonely life" that has been released as a 45 on Brunswick, supposed to be a beat ballad.. RA anyone? Or can anyone confirm that it's class ;-)

Othervise IMHO "because of you" is prob. his most overrated track, all his "hits" like "sweetest feeling", "higher and higher" , "nothing but blue skies" e.tc. is miles better... IMHO that is ;-)

best

Leo

Social source share

Yup. 'Lonely life' is amazing. VERY dramatic tho. I've loved it for years. Beatin Rhythm couldn't get rid of it for £6 for years. It took Anna 6 months and her own copy to come round to it. She now appreciates it's genius. Marco, the flip of 'This Love Is Real' is equally as beautiful, 'Love Uprising'. But then he was a flawless artist.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Paul McNamara played this at The Capitol Soul Club last year, and at Shotgun on Saturday. Goes down well but not many people seem to know it. I recently got a copy off Paul, on a French single rather than an EP. Great track. Seems quite hard to find, not seen a reissue.

Social source share

Hi richard, yeah i enjoyed it, think i need a few more plays, i always liked the "it only happens when i look at you" track from the LP, and picked it up on a 7"(think it was never released in USA,sure some soul here will prove me wrong....)

Yes it is UK only on Brunswick 43 IT ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I LOOK AT YOU / JUST AS SOON AS THE FEELINGS OVER

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!