UK 'Regional' Hits

Came across a funny youtube clip of a load of people in Peterborough doing a big line dance kind of thing to late 70's funk / soul Len Boone 'Love can't be denied', and the comments underneath are all about how it was a massive play in the Peterborough / Cambs / North Norfolk region. While it was a club hit generally, it seems to have particularly taken off there for some reason.

Got me wondering about others - I remember Searling and Bob Hinsley at various times saying Dells 'Run for Cover' was a big Bolton record, and Kev Roberts in the sleeve notes to the Golden Nuggets CD says Al Matthews 'Fool' was a big record in Birmingham.

Any others of note?

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

No One There - always associated that with Parr Hall Warrington

I suppose I mean records that were unusually big in certain areas, rather than venues - like the Len Boone one, went massive in Peterborough and about 60 miles around it, but not noticeably huge everywhere else

Social source share

17 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Came across a funny youtube clip of a load of people in Peterborough doing a big line dance kind of thing to late 70's funk / soul Len Boone 'Love can't be denied', and the comments underneath are all about how it was a massive play in the Peterborough region. While it was a club hit generally, it seems to have particularly taken off there for some reason.

As evidence of that here's an image of the track still maintaining local appeal two years later as one their club legends @micky gynnputs on a half time display of how to move to the track under the watchful eyes of Manchester City's Steve MacKenzie. 

image.png.b7c5bd4eaa1bf605135f5fadc8b6161b.png    

Edited by Guest
Social source share

6 hours ago, Soulfulmerlin said:

Metros 

Dampness of your kiss 

Red Bird 123 .

Huge in Lancashire bit of a frenzy trying to get copy . Set bunch of Dancing Crabs alight on an Island Beach . 

Happy to say picked one up a few months back, went down well at the last 45 Revolutions, so it'll be getting out a the next one-blatant I know- and yes Heywood is in Lancashire  😄

Social source share

Gone up massively.  I got mine off Rob 75 and bought other 35 . Then it became known . Played it at my last visit to Burscough due to it clashing with Accrington Town Hall and also featured it on Dean Anderson TNT Soul show. 

It has began its rise up in price . Last two I heard were 250+ . Jez bought one after hearing it on TNT lot of pennies 

Social source share

On 23/04/2019 at 01:00, Martin S said:

As evidence of that here's an image of the track still maintaining local appeal two years later as one their club legends @micky gynnputs on a half time display of how to move to the track under the watchful eyes of Manchester City's Steve MacKenzie. 

image.png.b7c5bd4eaa1bf605135f5fadc8b6161b.png    

Where the hell did you find that photo Martin !!

Never ever seen that image until today. Those were the day's, Football and Soul music. Not sure about Len Boone though !!

Hope you are keeping well.

Kind regards...Micky

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 24/04/2019 at 13:40, micky gynn said:

Where the hell did you find that photo Martin !! Never ever seen that image until today. Those were the day's, Football and Soul music. Not sure about Len Boone though !! Hope you are keeping well. Kind regards...Micky

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1AFAB_enGB478GB479&q=micky+gynn+images&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9i7jvserhAhXfVRUIHe8FB-kQ7Al6BAgJEBE&biw=1280&bih=881

Pre-season looks as if it might have been a bit too hot in this one? Any recollections?

image.png.3c8620e2ce2ff209686e31839e3fbdef.png

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 5 months later...

Rumour has it when Time Will Pass You By was given a UK release because the vast majority of the sales were 'oop North then the record was barred from the charts in the light of Payola etc or in this case massaged sales figures. As it would have charted at the time who knows??? A TOTP recording of her singing that would've been nice, even more so now with today's thirst for memorabilia.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!