MikeHump's profile photo

Non Soul - Jethro Tull Soundalike

Freebasing MikeHump

Posted

Anyone out there know a bit about prog rock?

I was sorting through a box of bits and bobs a while back and came across an Emidisc with the title "Gee's Whiz". it was only a few pence and thinking it was a misspelling I put it in my pile. When I played it, rather than being a Carla Thomas copy it turned out to be flute driven rock thing, sort of Jethro Tull style. It sounds too good to be a hopeful amateur. Anyone got a clue or can suggest a site for such stuff?

Mike  

prog emidisc.pdf Gee's Whiz.mp3

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MikeHump said:

Anyone out there know a bit about prog rock?

I know a fair bit and here you go,Mike...:)

The track.is taken from

L.A. - New Day

Url: https://www.discogs.com/LA-New-Day/release/1732485

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Soulsides said:

I know a fair bit and here you go,Mike...:)

Blimey

That was quick, thanks. I'd never have guessed it was Love Affair.

Wonder why an Emidisc was made - we'll probably never know.

Cheers

Mike

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Big up to all the music lovers🙊🙉🙈

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Indeed Pete

The depth of knowledge about almost any topic on this site is remarkable.

Cheers

hump

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Very Tull like indeed ,sawTull about ten times live always loved them since I bought life is a long song single off Donny market it had Nursie and Going up the pool on it .At the same time bought Hendrix ep single Hey joe,Watchtower and Voodoo child. don't know why just loved them..Later heard that Hendrix used to play with James Brown in his early years so there may be a connection .Always go back to soul though.

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Smudger

Very similar in Mkt Harborough, most were all soulies at heart but it didn't stop a Sunday afternoon or two with John Mayal, Eric Clapton or in the Court of the Crimson King. I recall though when it came down to style choices, I swapped my very beaten up copy of Disraeli Gears for a pristine copy of Hot Buttered Soul. I reckon I got the best deal. Mind you quite a few mates couldn't get on with either, preferring tunes that were more conventional and a lot more danceable.

hump 

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I`m a massive proggy! 

I can just see Ian Anderson atop a very large speaker with flute in hand and on one leg. ian_tull.jpg

Edited by Steve Lane
  • Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

I`m a massive proggy! 

I can just see Ian Anderson atop a very large speaker with flute in hand and on one leg. ian_tull.jpg

Never a fan . From that era give me Family , Van der Graaf Generator , Captain Beefheart , The Doors, MC5  etc any day . 

Edited by andybellwood

soul source url
Posted

Very cool picture Steve. I saw JT live a couple of times back in the day.

Family were a Leicester band so saw them a few time too. I recall the guitarist played with a twin neck guitar.

However I could never quite get Captain Beefheart - way too prog for me.

Cheers

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeHump said:

However I could never quite get Captain Beefheart - way too prog for me.

Same here.

Trout Mask Replica is one of the most overrated albums in the history of recorded music,in my opinion..there's so much better stuff out there in the Prog Rock genre.

Don Van Vliet wasn't exactly a nice fella either,by all accounts,  he was known to exercise an almost dictatorial control over his backing musicians,on one occasion he refused to pay them for a European tour they'd completed.

After years of enduring Beefheart's abusive behaviour it forced his entire band to quit on him, basically.

I will happily admit that he was pretty damn good on the 'Willie The Pimp' track from Zappa's 'Hot Rats' album though!

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.