Best or Rarest new Release 45's of last 5 years??

Guest Shufflin

Guest Shufflin

We are in a period of fantastic new 45 releases imo, which will be appreciated in years to come if not now, I'll start this off with the killer 45 from 2015, only 2 left on discogs and surely soon to be an auction record, so what are your picks from recent times?

Social source share

• Replies 72
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

By rarest do you mean most expensive? Grace Love is no rarer than most other new releases and its on an Lp as well, every other track on the Lp is better as well.  Demand seems to be easing off too and prices dropping in set sales?

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
10 minutes ago, Chalky said:

By rarest do you mean most expensive? Grace Love is no rarer than most other new releases and its on an Lp as well, every other track on the Lp is better as well.  Demand seems to be easing off too and prices dropping in set sales?

Chalky this is a discussion about 45's not LP's, name a better / rarer 45 released in last years from your collection?

"Grace Love is no rarer than most other new releases" - you do realise how many Grace Love 45's were pressed originally?

wow

Edited by Shufflin
can't spell realise
Social source share

38 minutes ago, Shufflin said:

Chalky this is a discussion about 45's not LP's, name a better / rarer 45 released in last years from your collection?

"Grace Love is no rarer than most other new releases" - you do realise how many Grace Love 45's were pressed originally?

wow

At least 300 of Grace which is just not very good  

El Counts Executives on Cannonball, far superior.  There are dozens in my collection far better than Grace. It is only NS scene demand that has forced the price up.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

There's a lot of new stuff that I've really enjoyed over the last few years..labels such as Hope Street,Big Crown and Record Kicks etcetera along with loads of more left field sounding, independently produced music.

I've been caning the new Lee Fields & The Expressions lp 'It Rains Love' which is out now on Big Crown...a very nice record in my opinion.

Full album on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/DqEAx0xLVHA

This is a  record that I keep coming back to..its not rare,but its a newer release that's gotten a bit of love from the people over the last few years that I've  played it for. 

Released in 2013..hope im not breaking the rules,hehe..

Nice thread,will post more as it progresses! 

A few copies on Discogs 

https://www.discogs.com/Zillanova-Suicide-The-Time-It-Takes/release/4806077

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Shufflin said:

We are in a period of fantastic new 45 releases imo, which will be appreciated in years to come if not now, I'll start this off with the killer 45 from 2015, only 2 left on discogs and surely soon to be an auction record, so what are your picks from recent times?

I was also bandcamp lucky,

just uploaded this

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Scootboy said:

I was also bandcamp lucky,

just uploaded this

Far better than the other side. Its also a pretty good Lp and Fire is one of the weakest on it IMO, its just not very good, just suitable for the northern scene dance floors. Repetitive and boring. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Personally, I think there are a lot of misconceptions about new releases.  Generally speaking most new releases are pressed in quantities between 250 - 500 copies, so in the grand scheme of things and the size of the market this amount of records in initial circulation mean that these releases aren't rare.  As some of these releases are currently in high demand and people want them means the price goes up and has little to do with actual rarity.

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 minute ago, John Reed said:

Personally, I think there are a lot of misconceptions about new releases.  Generally speaking most new releases are pressed in quantities between 250 - 500 copies, so in the grand scheme of things and the size of the market this amount of records in initial circulation mean that these releases aren't rare.  As some of these releases are currently in high demand and people want them means the price goes up and has little to do with actual rarity.

that's BS in the sense that the market spans from Japan to EU to UK to US - 300-500 copies in that context is rare, look at the fuss over recent release 45's like this one

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 hour ago, Chalky said:

At least 300 of Grace which is just not very good

chalky the first press was 100 copies, it's genuinely rare in first press format

"ships out within 5 days, edition of 100"

any way this thread was not about one record, sorry if I came across that way, it's about all the great records released in last few years

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
2 minutes ago, philb said:

Never been a big fan of rarity it’s all about quality. 

agree Phil post an example

Social source share

16 hours ago, Shufflin said:

that's BS in the sense that the market spans from Japan to EU to UK to US - 300-500 copies in that context is rare, look at the fuss over recent release 45's like this one

But most were happy with the download, same for other releases, its just this scene that is more concerned with vinyl and it is the northern soul lot driving the prices stupid. The record that started this topic isn’t very good, hardly anyone outside the northern scene is interested in it, certainly not at the prices quoted  

Just enjoy the music whatever the format.  

Social source share

Sandy Barber ‘I think I’ll do some stepping (on my own)’ . Opolopo rework . 

Modern , superb imo , but certainly not as expensive as some elusive & desirable ‘northern’. 

https://www.discogs.com/Sandy-Barber-I-Think-Ill-Do-Some-Stepping-On-My-Own-Opolopo-Rework/release/11171422

Seems 10 done as promos  by BBE in 2015 . (Although 20 quoted elsewhere ). 

Understand Mark Randle has one ,  one in Australia , a lucky purchaser commenting on Discogs plus mine . Only other I’ve ever seen for sale was on Darren Brown’s auction site and £400 seems to ring a bell . No idea where others are as other owners don’t seem to play them out ?

Edited by andybellwood
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

The record that started this topic isn’t very good

Got to respectfully disagree with you there im afraid...I'd heard about this particular record but had never listened to it until yesterday..I thought it was a great little tune tbh and the b sides a belter too!  

Another one from me.. the late, great Charles Bradley.

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Bradley-Changes-Aint-It-A-Sin/release/5144350

• Up vote 1
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

Got to respectfully disagree with you there im afraid...I'd heard about this particular record but had never listened to it until yesterday..I thought it was a great little tune tbh and the b sides a belter too!  

Another one from me.. the late, great Charles Bradley.

https://www.discogs.com/Charles-Bradley-Changes-Aint-It-A-Sin/release/5144350

There are excellent exceptions of course! 😁

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

one from 2017, from the Wick subsidiary of Daptone (it's meant to be a rock record label but they managed to release a nice blue eyed soul track)

Social source share

3 hours ago, andybellwood said:

Sandy Barber ‘I think I’ll do some stepping (on my own)’ . Opolopo rework . 

Modern , superb imo , but certainly not as expensive as some elusive & desirable ‘northern’. 

https://www.discogs.com/Sandy-Barber-I-Think-Ill-Do-Some-Stepping-On-My-Own-Opolopo-Rework/release/11171422

Seems 10 done as promos  by BBE in 2015 . (Although 20 quoted elsewhere ). 

Understand Mark Randle has one ,  one in Australia , a lucky purchaser commenting on Discogs plus mine . Only other I’ve ever seen for sale was on Darren Brown’s auction site and £400 seems to ring a bell . No idea where others are as other owners don’t seem to play them out ?

Love it ,great rework 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
7 minutes ago, Kenb said:

I know i'm breaking the rules...but i ahev this from 2015. all the tracks are bob-on

that's really good, new to me what a cracking version of the classic

Social source share

Petition time 🙂

Two more great songs that I'm waiting for a future 7" release,

same band, different albums,

Some months ago, I said the same thing for Do Something and Never Loved You More and my wishes came true,

well, keep on dreaming...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

probably my fav new 45 of 2017, was later picked up for release on CD by Expansion records

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!