Mary Wells, 'If you Can't Give Her Love..' Pressing fault?

Joesoap

Just picked up a demo copy of Mary Wells' fantastic collaboration with Bobby Womack, 'If You Can't Give Her Love (Give Her Up)' on Reprise.

Record looks great. But won't play. Needle jumps about all over the place on both sides. 🙁 Pressing fault. ☹️ Are they all like this?

I notice they had two goes at the issue with different b sides. Did the label cock this release up?

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yep both my copies play fine I found what I wanted is one of her best ever cuts imho,the strings and production are utterly fabulous.Just a bit tittle tattle but Frank Sinatra originally owned Reprise Records setting the label up for Artistic Freedom it was then bough quickly by Warner Brothers,the label had some fabulous artistes including Mary Wells along side big hitters like Neil Young,Captain Beefheart,Hendrix etc good to see Mary Wells in that company.

Social source share

On 23/04/2019 at 23:59, JoeSoap said:

Just picked up a demo copy of Mary Wells' fantastic collaboration with Bobby Womack, 'If You Can't Give Her Love (Give Her Up)' on Reprise.

Record looks great. But won't play. Needle jumps about all over the place on both sides. 🙁 Pressing fault. ☹️ Are they all like this?

I notice they had two goes at the issue with different b sides. Did the label cock this release up?

Mine skipped to my disappointment when I received it. Playing on a normal stereo sect but plays through fine on a dj deck. Lovely track. 

Social source share

On 25/04/2019 at 15:30, paup-ine said:

Mine skipped to my disappointment when I received it. Playing on a normal stereo sect but plays through fine on a dj deck. Lovely track. 

Interesting. Exactly the same. This skips on the ultra-reliable1960s Garard workhorse I have for home listening and the fella I got it off tells me it plays fine on his Technics. I don't have my own Technics set up set up to check...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!