Ady does it again New Kent Release Milton James

I don't think I've ever heard the Milton James before. Good stuff.

I used to have the Kenard though on Dore back in the 80s. There used to be some folklore about that release. People used to go on about it being dodgy or a bootleg or something? What was all that about? Just had a quick look and can't see any trace of a bootleg. 

Edited by JoeSoap
Social source share

Thanks. Any idea why?

I can see from Discogs that a couple of other 60s recordings by the same artist appear to have come out early 80s on Dore. So assume it wasn't because it got played at Stafford. From memory, don't ever remember it being an absolute monster. It was played at 'newies' venues and then forgotten within about 2 years. Also, assuming, 'What did you gain?' got reissued for some other reason, do we know which release Guy (or whoever played it first) had? 

Wondering if it's a bit like Tony Middleton, ' Spanish Maiden'  which was first discovered / played on the b-side of a salsa / disco 12 from the 70s (by Ithe legendary, much-missed Ian Clark, I think)?

Social source share

1 hour ago, JoeSoap said:

Thanks. Any idea why?

I can see from Discogs that a couple of other 60s recordings by the same artist appear to have come out early 80s on Dore. So assume it wasn't because it got played at Stafford. From memory, don't ever remember it being an absolute monster. It was played at 'newies' venues and then forgotten within about 2 years. Also, assuming, 'What did you gain?' got reissued for some other reason, do we know which release Guy (or whoever played it first) had? 

Wondering if it's a bit like Tony Middleton, ' Spanish Maiden'  which was first discovered / played on the b-side of a salsa / disco 12 from the 70s (by the legendary, much-missed Ian Clark, I think)?

Lew Bedell re-issued '60s Dore Soul recordings all throughout the 1970s and into the 1980s, not just to meet foreign demand, but mainly for The US Oldies market.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Milton James - My 1st copy - from John Manship - just back from LA - at his house round the corner from me in a big value trade back in the mid 90's - played it everywhere I was on back then - Brit/Embankment/Wilton/Griffin - even played it in front of Adey at a gig at Hinckley back then when he was  putting out the Dore catalogue on CD.

Sold it on to Carl & Maria Whillingham after a concerted effort from Maria to prise it out of my box - eventually succeeded bless her - remember discussing the reasons for its rarity with Tim Brown at Anglo and my brother Chris who thought it was another red herring to stardom by the label owner Lew Bedell who was notorious for promising the earth to artists whilst they stumped up cash for a promised shot at said stardom - never to materialise.

That 33sec. intro before Milton starts singing is also just about as long as it gets and initially takes some getting used to.

Social source share

5 hours ago, JoeSoap said:

Thanks. Any idea why?

Wondering if it's a bit like Tony Middleton, ' Spanish Maiden'  which was first discovered / played on the b-side of a salsa / disco 12 from the 70s (by Ithe legendary, much-missed Ian Clark, I think)?

I used to have the reissue. Flipside was a beatiful beat ballad, Entertainers IV - My garden of eden. However it was credited to Kenard.

Original has What Did You Gain on both sides, doesn't it?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!