Blake H

• Replies 64
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Turn the telly on to see the news on this christmas morning and was greeted by the news James Brown has passed away.

Love him or not theres no denying his contribution to Soul Music, it will be a funky time in heaven from now on.

Rest in peace sir

BH

post-2596-1167034456.jpg

have also posted whilst watching news at work

agree with sentiment

Mike remove my post

Sweetsoul adds to the sentiment of

"James Brown Soulsinger"

good tribute

"There was a Time"

:thumbsup::D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I was already sad enough about yesterday's passing of my childhood hero Charlie Drake, but this news is almost too devastating to contemplate.

JB may no longer be with us physically, but he'll always outlive everyone who has ever made, or will make, a record in the name of soul music. You didn't have to like his work to know that James' contribution to the evolution of black music is among the most significant of all. Yes, he worked wth great musicians (and, towards the end, some pretty lousy ones on occasion) but JB was the glue that held everything together, and the music that he, the Famous Flames and various line ups of the JB's (and their predecessors) made together will never die.

Can't begin to express how badly I feel about this. I'd like to spend the day playing nothing but JB classics, but Christmas has to go on. However, it's Mr. Brown's yuletide music that will be top of the playlist this year, instead of 'Phil Spector's Christmas Album'.

The afterlife will be a funkier place for his presence. God bless, brother James, and R.I.P.

TONY :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Theres not much one can add to the sentiments already expressed above, our particular world is saddened by his passing but the legend lives on.

RIP Mr Brown you travelled a hard road but you got there in the end, "There was a time"

Dave

shout.gif:thumbsup: :dance: :P:thumbsup::D

Social source share

James Brown

Love him or loathe another great artist sadly leaves us

RIP James

A truly sad loss .

Thank you godfather , it has been a sincere pleasure over the years for me listening to and enjoying your music .

God bless you JB : now take it to the bridge of heaven .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

man....just put on the radio whilst the sprogs opened the pressy's...what a shock

and you cant say love him or loathe him because this man was definately across the board and

produced and arranged records that will be timeless.

and not just his own recordings..

this man had a true ghetto story from childhood

ok he had his mad moments but dont we all

may he rest in peace, but i doubt he will do much resting !!!!

Social source share

Totally shocked at his passing :thumbsup: , his input to the soul scene was incredible, how many great records on his King label?, was never a massive fan of his funky tunes but as someone has already said on here have been known to "git down" to them, I think some of his early 60s output set standards for all soul music, his 70s output was of course dominated by funk but through that little gems of soul came through such as People Wake Up And Live and others were a shining example of his soul roots, never a man to practise what he preached he will be remembered with great affection and in soul heaven tonight there will be a "Funky Good Time" with no one sitting still,

soul on James, RIP

Lenny

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Another sad day for the world of Soul Music, not only was James a great performer, but also the numerous production and writing credits he was involved with, made him an absolute all time great in the world of Music and Entertainment.

Social source share

How very very sad,I saw him at Hammersmith in the eighties and was gobsmacked by his show.Still 73 aint bad.....RIP.

Yep remember that show well Billy. I've had the chance to see Mr Brown a couple of times in the last few years but have resisted, wanting to keep my memories of him as that night. Think it was '85 and he still had Maceo Parker and Fred Weslely in the band. It was definately Sunday night after the 100 club, what a great way to finish the weekend. RIP James.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest soul_hull

james brown has always, for me, defined the difference between soul and funk in the UK, with JB being funk.

that said, there are surely very few men that define anything?

it's a man's world, and one man is longer with us.

god rest your soul James Brown.

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Sad Sad times indeed, at our age and the age of our scene you would think we would be prepared for news like this but it still comes as a shock.

RIP James Brown The Godfather of SOUL

Social source share

'WELL THE BIG PAPA IN THE SKY SURE HAS GOT A BRAND NEW BAG....I BET ALL THOSE ANGELS ARE GETTIN DOWN RIGHT NOW AND JAMES WILL BE DISHING OUT FINES TO ANY HARPIST THAT MISSES A BEAT..............INCREDIBLY SAD NEWS......A MASSIVE LOSS...REST IN PEACE,,,,THE GODFATHER & FUNKMEISTER.......HIS INFLUENCE RUNS DEEP 'SOCK IT TO EM JB......I'LL BE SPINNING SOME KING SIDES TOMMORROW THAT'S FOR SURE......THANKYOU JAMES...YOU'LL BE SORELY MISSSED !!!!!

CM

Social source share

Can`t understand why there`s so much animosity towards this guy from some quarters

in our scene. From so-called educated people who think they know our music. I always thought he was quite awesome, especially in his early days. Wrote and produced his own stuff-then started his own record company-then bought his own radio station to play em on-then bought his own bank in which to put all his money which he made from doing the first two. Simple! Why didn`t everyone else think of that!

Seriously though, he was one of the true pioneers of music. An innovative musical chameleon who started many music genres-not just funk!

R.I.P. J.B. sad.gif

Social source share

Can`t understand why there`s so much animosity towards this guy from some quarters

in our scene. From so-called educated people who think they know our music. I always thought he was quite awesome, especially in his early days. Wrote and produced his own stuff-then started his own record company-then bought his own radio station to play em on-then bought his own bank in which to put all his money which he made from doing the first two. Simple! Why didn`t everyone else think of that!

Seriously though, he was one of the true pioneers of music. An innovative musical chameleon who started many music genres-not just funk!

R.I.P. J.B. sad.gif

Ah man, just remember going to a do on my Vespa 50 in 83'. Just getting into soul and dancing to 'night train' - "Miami Florida, Atlanta Georgia". Truly fantastic stuff..

Around the time of Martin Luther King's sad demise, for JB to sing about "say it loud, I'm black and I'm proud" and lift the nation in black awareness was a remarkable thing.

RIP Mr JB.

Social source share

Another sad day for the world of Soul Music, not only was James a great performer, but also the numerous production and writing credits he was involved with, made him an absolute all time great in the world of Music and Entertainment.

Meant to quote Netspeaky too in my earlier post. Agree with every word and very well put mate.

Once again RIP James

Cheers Paul Woosnam

Social source share

Hello,

James Brown was one of the most prolific and inventive artists and producers of his era.

My own favourites are his ballads - the awesome "I Cried" (did soul music ever get much deeper?), the ground-breaking "It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World" and the tearful country-soul ballad "Regrets" from 1980.

As for his work as a producer, "Wide Awake In A Dream" by Vicki Anderson is a particular favourite ...but there are many others.

He was a unique talent.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Hello,

James Brown was one of the most prolific and inventive artists and producers of his era.

My own favourites are his ballads - the awesome "I Cried" (did soul music ever get much deeper?), the ground-breaking "It's A Man's, Man's, Man's World" and the tearful country-soul ballad "Regrets" from 1980.

As for his work as a producer, "Wide Awake In A Dream" by Vicki Anderson is a particular favourite ...but there are many others.

He was a unique talent.

Paul Mooney

Only recently got a copy of Vicki Anderson "Wide Awake......" (thank you Bearsoul) what a record, can't stop playing it. Agree Mr Brown was a unique talent, would go so far as to say genius.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

JUST HAD MY LITTLE TRIBUTE FIRSTLY PEOPLE WAKE UP AND LIVE A TRUELY INSPIRATIONAL SLICE OF SOULMUSIC TO SAY THE LEAST,THEN THE AWESOME STONE FOX ,LASTLY POSSIBLY ONE OF THE GREATEST DEEP SOUL RECORDS OF ALL TIME GEORGIA ON MY MIND,BROUGHT A TEAR AND SO IT SHOULD.

SO DEEPLY UNAPPRECIATED ,REMINDS ME OF THE DAY CURTIS MAYFIELD PASSED [bOXING DAY],A TRUE SOUL GIANT .

BAZ A.

Social source share

Sad news.

Not alot to add to whats already been said, but a man who bought soul to many generations of music lovers for them to enjoy, i dont think any one in this world could say they've never danced too and enjoyed a James Brown song.

Social source share

Very sad news.... there will be a few of his King 45's going into the playbox for Friday night at the (take it to the) London Bridge Allnighter, that's for sure.

Social source share

These news definitely leaves me with a sad feeling even though he got to reach a respectable age for the life he lived and his influence will not be unregonized.

Today I had to pull out "Yes it's You" by Sweet Charles a personal favourite JB produced soul tune of mine.

Social source share

Guest MonkeyMod

Massive respect JB.

Been playing "Hey America" a lot the last few days. Strident, militant, razor sharp. Thee best Christmas record ever.

May the Lord rest your soul - you crazy old loon.

Social source share

For Your Precious Love - james brown - augusta sound

12947 refosoul testing times - improved features inc new uploader - post in site q's forum if probs... thanks

Not the rarest, or the most 'Northern' JB track - just a poignant and beautiful (IMHO) reminder of a unique talent.

In an age where we gush and talk bollocks and pay ridiculous amounts of money over very average (but rare) 'Soul' records, please take a moment to listen to a JB track recorded at a time when he wasn't considered fashionable or relevant, yet he still gave it his all.

Thanks, Mr Brown.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

No boundaries with this man - if your feet or mind don't move to James Brown then you ain't got soul.

All the best

Manus

Hi Manus, you are right on there mate. the man was a legend.Hope you are keeping well. Have a great xmas. see you out in Brighton sometime.

merry xmas to you and your clan.

Social source share

DAMN.....

I was just in AUGUSTA GA digging a couple of months ago, and thought about trying to pay Mr Brown a visit (The locals told me he was very friendly and down-to-earth), but never found time...

His work ethic had a HUGE inpact on me when I read his autobiography nearly 20 years ago, and it still remains...

He was in my top 5 heros in life...

Today really hurts. sad.gif

Social source share

Theres not much one can add to the sentiments already expressed above, our particular world is saddened by his passing but the legend lives on.

RIP Mr Brown you travelled a hard road but you got there in the end, "There was a time"

Dave shout.gif:thumbsup: :dance: :lol:king.gif:lol:

A true entertainer R.I.P James Brown :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!