Digging in New York 2019

Hi all, i'm heading to New York in a few weeks time (my first time too). 

I know the question has probably been asked a lot before but in 2019 is it still worth the effort of digging for original soul 45's in record shops? 

Any suggestions of decent record shops to check out much appreciated if so. 

Thanks in advance. 

P.S. Suggestions for good places to go in general (bars etc.) also appreciated.

P.P.S. Mods, if this is in the wrong section, please move.

Edited by soulboy69
Social source share

2 hours ago, Soulsides said:

Academy Records Annex in Greenpoint,Brooklyn is supposedly a very good place for finding Soul music...there's two other Academy Records shops but the Annex is apparently the one if you're on the lookout for vinyl. 

Thank You! Brooklyn is definitely on the cards to visit so I’ll pop in there. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:55, soulboy69 said:

I know the question has probably been asked a lot before but in 2019 is it still worth the effort of digging for original soul 45's in record shops? 

Thanks in advance. 

What are real plans for getting messy for your big birthday?

Social source share

bleaker street used to be the place of record shops but dunno if it still is ..just have a mosey round there..

but you could be 30 years too late as mostly CDs ?

i have some old 45s catalogues from shops in bleaker street ..prolly 60s priniting

Edited by sceneman
additions
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I was working in Manhattan a few years back and tried all the shops, would not bother to be honest,  the markets are the only place you will find reasonably priced 45s...

pickings are slim though, but you will certainly find lots of 45s on Spring, hundreds of em !

My advise get out to places like Long Island, get on the subway and travel a bit... and deffo go to flea markets, you never know 🙂

Good luck  

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On 02/05/2019 at 11:55, soulboy69 said:

Thanks in advance. 

I suggest flea markets as well

If you find anything let me know :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=flea+markets+new+york+records&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=40731378,-73983136,2408&tbm=lcl&ved=2ahUKEwitlaay5YTiAhXdUBUIHd6iCt0QtgN6BAgKEAQ&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m2!1d40.7874858!2d-73.49042829999999!2m2!1d40.665167!2d-74.1005416;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:1

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Typo
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

As was mentioned earlier , Greenpoint in Brooklyn  is a place several record shops either sprung up or re located  a few years ago , come out of the subway at Manhattan Ave , you have  " The Thing "( massive cellar in thrift store  full of  mainly albums and  12s ) .Not too far across the road .    not sure if " The Record Grouch " is still on Manhattan Ave .   Running parrallel , but behind the main street , you have a road  that has   " Academy  records annexe" , and if you carry on further up for about ten minutes , you will come to "Co-op 84 records ".   ( Permanent records used to be on this road but had moved to Park Slope  Brooklyn a couple of years ago )  On the way back from co op 84 , get back onto Manhattan  Ave until you get to Calyer  street , this is where you will find " Captured Tracks records "( Hipster vibe , plenty of soul  albums and 45s )                                    Spent time in New york regularly for years until recently and always found this to be a fruitful circuit .      The shops did seem to move , open and close a lot  though , it was a fast changing scene .Think Greenpoint became the place where they set up shop after   Williamsburg became to expensive . 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

17 hours ago, carty said:

As was mentioned earlier , Greenpoint in Brooklyn  is a place several record shops either sprung up or re located  a few years ago , come out of the subway at Manhattan Ave , you have  " The Thing "( massive cellar in thrift store  full of  mainly albums and  12s ) .Not too far across the road .    not sure if " The Record Grouch " is still on Manhattan Ave .   Running parrallel , but behind the main street , you have a road  that has   " Academy  records annexe" , and if you carry on further up for about ten minutes , you will come to "Co-op 84 records ".   ( Permanent records used to be on this road but had moved to Park Slope  Brooklyn a couple of years ago )  On the way back from co op 84 , get back onto Manhattan  Ave until you get to Calyer  street , this is where you will find " Captured Tracks records "( Hipster vibe , plenty of soul  albums and 45s )                                    Spent time in New york regularly for years until recently and always found this to be a fruitful circuit .      The shops did seem to move , open and close a lot  though , it was a fast changing scene .Think Greenpoint became the place where they set up shop after   Williamsburg became to expensive . 

Some photos here from quite a few years back, but a few shops (like The Thing in Greenpoint) that might still give a flavour of ones that have stayed put:

NYC Records & shops April 2010Greenpoint BrooklynNYC record shops Easter 2008New York Records Oct 2007New York Soul Easter 2006

Have a great trip!

Not sure why the links don't show correctly but they do seem to work if you click on the box with the question mark in it. In order, they are of these albums on Flickr:

NYC Records and shops April 2010

Greenpoint Brooklyn

NYC record shops Easter 2008

New York Records October 2007

New York Soul Easter 2006

Edited by seano
Links look odd with question marks, but appear to work.
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, seano said:

Some photos here from quite a few years back, but a few shops (like The Thing in Greenpoint) that might still give a flavour of ones that have stayed put:

NYC Records & shops April 2010Greenpoint BrooklynNYC record shops Easter 2008New York Records Oct 2007New York Soul Easter 2006

Have a great trip!

Not sure why the links don't show correctly but they do seem to work if you click on the box with the question mark in it. In order, they are of these albums on Flickr:

NYC Records and shops April 2010

Greenpoint Brooklyn

NYC record shops Easter 2008

New York Records October 2007

New York Soul Easter 2006

Wow, think I better extend my holidays 😀

• Up vote 1
Social source share

......also check if any record fairs / shows taking place. There’s often one up near Columbus Circle, I went last October time, worth a subway ride for sure. Also there is a bigger one on Long Island that clashed with my flight home !! 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

See a pevious discussion, although some of the shops mentioned may now have closed - https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/326543-new-york-crate-digging

Also see this link about record shops in New York  - https://foursquare.com/top-places/new-york-city/best-places-record-shops

I tend to go to East Village - A1 Records and Good Records, nearby is the 12th Street Ale House, good selection of beers, happy hour etc.

Also endorse members comments re the flea markets.

Happy digging, be useful to hear how you go and if you managed to find any bargains.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On 06/05/2019 at 08:56, sceneman said:

the house of oldies maybe still going

https://foursquare.com/v/house-of-oldies/4ba38862f964a520fd4438e3

House of Oldies

35 Carmine St (btwn Bedford & Bleecker St)
New York, NY 10014
United States

https://mbvintagenewyork.blogspot.com/2011/11/house-of-oldies-selling-last-centurys.html

google house of oldies

The only thing with this shop is the owner has two boxes of evenly priced 6/7ts more collectible soul funk 45s,  you have to buy 2 or 3 to see any more from behind the counter.

id have done it but there simply wasn’t anything for me in those first boxes... so I walked out 

he had great Lps as well, heard he is sitting on some good stock but it’s only offered if you buy a min...

Edited by Mal C
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 08/05/2019 at 15:46, Mal C said:

The only thing with this shop is the owner has two boxes of evenly priced 6/7ts more collectible soul funk 45s,  you have to buy 2 or 3 to see any more from behind the counter.

id have done it but there simply wasn’t anything for me in those first boxes... so I walked 

I went into The House of Oldies off Bleecker Street a few months ago. There was a older guy in there so I asked to see the large amount of 45's they have in a  long row of shelves on the right hand wall. He said I could not look, but to tell him some record titles for him to go and look for! I thought this was silly, so I decided to be just as silly!  We were right next to 7th Ave, so I asked him for the Seventh Avenue Aviators! That drew a blank stare, so I asked him for Frankie Beverly and some other records. He didn't know anything, so why does he not let people just go and look for themselves!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

4 hours ago, solidsoul said:

I went into The House of Oldies off Bleecker St a few months ago. There was a older guy in there so I asked to see the large amount of 45's they have in a  long row of shelves on the right hand wall. He said I could not look, but to tell him some record titles for him to go and look for! I thought this was silly, so I decided to be just as silly!  We were right next to 7th Ave, so I asked him for the Seventh Avenue Aviators! That drew a blank stare, so I asked him for Frankie Beverly and some other records. He didn't know anything, so why does he not let people just go and look for themselves!!

Wow, how ridiculous is that! 

Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Social source share

5 hours ago, solidsoul said:

I went into The House of Oldies off Bleecker St a few months ago. There was a older guy in there so I asked to see the large amount of 45's they have in a  long row of shelves on the right hand wall. He said I could not look, but to tell him some record titles for him to go and look for! I thought this was silly, so I decided to be just as silly!  We were right next to 7th Ave, so I asked him for the Seventh Avenue Aviators! That drew a blank stare, so I asked him for Frankie Beverly and some other records. He didn't know anything, so why does he not let people just go and look for themselves!!

Same experience myself in one of the shops on Bleeker St (maybe the same one) back in 2002 - consistent if nothing else!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Can’t remember his name now but he is a famous dealer that guy, bought mail order from him, but if your British after Soul in off the street, forget it....And all around that area it’s much the same I’m afraid... 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

As mentioned above, check out my bar night if you're there on a Wednesday....Botanica, 47 E. Houston St., Manhattan, 9:45 p.m. till 2:30 a.m. or so. If you email me and give me some idea of what kind of stuff you're looking for, I can put together a sales box for you too.

Matt

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 08/05/2019 at 15:46, Mal C said:

id have done it but there simply wasn’t anything for me in those first boxes... so I walked out 

he had great Lps as well, heard he is sitting on some good stock but it’s only offered if you buy a min...

Also been to house of oldies two years ago very reluctant to show you anything he has a celler full of stuff but won't let anyone down there. 

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I've just had this from a guy who works in NYC:

"Academy in Williamsburg moved to the next neighborhood, Greenpoint, about six years ago. Oak Street near Franklin Street., they still have Manhattan stores on West 18th Street and East 12th Street. Manhattan."

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!