News: Chuck Barksdale (Dells) R.I.P.

Sad news, those of us who saw the Dells live at Trentham Gardens will never forget that night I"m sure. He came across as a really lovely guy on the Richard Searling show with a genuine love of music. Was lucky enough to catch their show stateside once as well. Heres one which features Mr Barksdale prominently. Thank you for the music.

Cheers Paul

Edited by Soul Shrews
spelling ?
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Sad to hear about this- the Dells had hits in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 

80's and kept recording long after that. I can still hear those 60's 

dj's introducing their records- "The pride and joy of Harvey, Illinois,

the mighty, mighty Dells - 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Sad news to hear about Chuck Barksdale. Great Soul Man!

My favourites by the Dells are

"Thinking About You"

"Run For Cover" 

"Make Sure"

Edited by Guest
Social source share

RIP Chuck Barsdale! :-(… we're lovers of a musical genre on wich, sadly, practically all our heroes from the great soul period (60's and 70's) are now aged around 80 or 90 years old...

Here's a big uptempo from one of the 2 albums Norman Harris produced for them (later covered by The Trammps on their 1979 album "The Whole World's Dancing"). Curiously, in my case I have been a big fan of Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes and The Dells (one of the albums I never have stopped to hear is "The Dells Vs. The Dramatics" since the late 70's to today!!)… and much later I noticed Gamble & Huff were been reaching for sign The Dells firsty for their Neptune label and later for PIR and the first Blue Notes hits they wrote were really conceived for The Dells and thinking in Marvin Junior exceptional baritone! (In fact they finally signed The Dells in 1991 for their 40th anniversary album "I Salute You" on PIR / Zoo label that I purchased but deceived me for the sound so "inorganic", not the voices, the instrumental part, except some tune don't remember the title produced by Bunny Sigler)

Edited by Josep Manuel Concernau Robles
Social source share

Very sad news;Chuck was not only a Soul great but his work with The Dells in the 50's made him a legend of Doo Wop, too- a fine bass voice of R&B Group Harmony.

A sometimes overlooked aspect of The Dells story is their work as-often uncredited- backing vocalists,most famously on Barbara Lewis' lovely classic 'Hello Stranger'

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!