Anybody else feel like this

For me particularly with northern its a scene and a culture with all the memories and foibles that go with it , the musics good but idoes"nt tell the whole story .

I play a bit of guitar and love old Lead Belly and Woodie Guthrie also partial to a bit of metal but my go too is always soul and feel very lucky to have been a part of it .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, DaveNPete said:

this sort of super fandom is lesser and different and just a case of 'liking' a kind of music a lot rather than being driven by it

Well I respect your opinion although i seriously doubt that  being extremely passionate about a certain genre of music and having a 'them against us' mentality is the singular, exclusive domain of a bunch of Northern Soul fanatics.. you're misguided if you truly think like that,there's a whole set of people who live this stuff literally 24 hours a day..not just at 'weekends' or 'nighters'..i'm talking every day of the week,year in, year out..there's dudes I know who run small independent record labels who work tirelessly to get the music they believe in out there.  

I also highly doubt you'll find many people who are more 'driven by music' than myself and many other people I know for that matter who actually go out and make music for a living for example.

For lots of these folks music isn't something they choose to call a hobby like collecting and going out dancing to records..it's so much more than that, it's a way of life, in fact.   

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

Completely disagree - at least from my past days of double nighters EVERY weekend (for a good fifteen years ++) - I strongly believe/ed that the unique and fundamental emotional core of proper soul music (by contrast with other forms of pop music) and the deeper unspoken 'we are the same down inside' understanding that mutual intense feeling (rather than just 'really liking it') for the best of our music implies (I'm talking real deal Northern SOUL, not micky mouse pop stomp) ties us closely even to those we don't know well purely by that mutual recognition... Though perhaps this has sadly drifted away today.

By contrast brother is the ultimate hyper-Stranglers fan - and famous for it, having seen them over 500x and once owning the best collection of their vinyl in the world (including legendary collectors items like the Bolivian test pressing of No More Heroes (3 known) and both the British (5 known) and Dutch (11 known) copies of Girl From the Snow Country etc etc etc) - they even came to his wedding - yet this sort of super fandom is lesser and different and just a case of 'liking' a kind of music a lot rather than being driven by it (the music still constantly plays in my head even though I've not been able to go to a nighter for three years).

Dx

Spot on Dave

Social source share

Well my two sons are musicians and I can categorically state they are as passionate about the music they love and play as I am about the soul I love , I don’t see any difference in their passion or anybody else’s if they’re passionate about it! Me and my sons have talked in the past a lot about music and the ‘rush’ it can give you and the goosebumps etc, they get the same , different music , but they get the same rush etc , how anybody can say they don’t or won’t is not talking right ! 

Edited by Colnago
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Colnago said:

Chalky , my lads live and breathe music, 10 years old when they started, got lessons off an old rocker with hair down to his arse , lol, they saved money for amps and guitars working their way up to classier equipment as they got older , they practiced and practiced till their fingers were bleeding or aching. They actually got boring to listen to them when they were talking about intricacies of guitar playing,  lol as I’m bloody clueless when they get too anal about it, and the eldest ( bass) was obsessed with j Jameson and others . And yes they travelled all over the shant to see bands on the up not when every Tom dick n Harry have heard of them . They play in a band and as you probably know the rewards are shit in pubs etc for the travelling humping the equipment etc etc etc , so as for getting paid , fuck me I wouldn’t do it for what that get , then a bloke spins a few records and gets god knows what , after the hours days and years of practice they’ve put in and I’ve seen what it takes .Theyve  been with me and their uncle to see the likes of lee fields , Ann sexton, b Womack , r cation , etc they have seen and know great soul , going back to devotion and passion, well I think there is plenty of comparison there and if I add it all up I’d give them 10/10 . I take my hat off to all musicians and the fans that support them and wouldn’t question if they’re more devoted to their scene than someone is to another, how would you know without knowing them , I know so called divs who’ve been everywhere to see bands who’d have sold a kidney to see some bands . I’m not comparing live music to the northern scene either I’m talking about passion/devotion/ dedication, to think that the northern scene is the only scene with them ingredients is folly . There is another world out there , I understand where you’re coming from as I’ve seen it on the northern scene but as the original postersaid “ he couldn’t imagine other music making people feel like he does” , course it does , simple as that . Ps it bloody sickens me when at a live concert and folk bugger off out for a cig or yakking when the acts on, knowing the devotion the musicians and singers put in . 

I have to agree there are anoraks in all genres.  Me dad went all over to see Country acts.  He didn't live and breathe it though.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Talking of dedication, I knew a girl who was mad on the Levellers ( I don’t know any of their stuff , but they were big or still are ) she heard about a gig they were doing in st ives so she dives into the car and drove down to Cambridgeshire. It was in Cornwall st ives , did she come home , did she hell , straight on to Cornwall. It was for the music too she wasn’t some besotted teenager after the lead singer 👩‍🎤 she set off from Burnley where she lived at that time 

Edited by Colnago
Social source share

They called themselves 'Cloggies' due to wearing sparking clogs (my little brother went through a phase of them as did a few scooter boys), their other band was New Model Army (who did a cover of There's a Ghost in my house, as did the Fall of course, as a tribute to their original musical roots).

I always have respect for people who are passionate about their music (even if it isn't a patch on our's) - even greasers - at least they have strong musical feelings - to me the worst self condemnation you can have is to say 'I like chart music' - it just means 'I'm a sheep that listens to whatever pap every other sheep listens to'. Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, Chalky said:

You lads love of music is great, I wish all kids could dig some kind of scene, life would be much better.  But, we lived, breathed and in some cases died for the scene, all that mattered was the next night out, all for the sheer love of it.  

Do your lads go all over the country in pursuit of the music, not through work to get paid but but for fun, for the buzz we got out of it, not just a chemical one either?  That’s the difference with us.  All my waking hours were devoted to the music, to the scene, certainly for many years before the recovery time after a nighter became a problem. I still devote most of my spare time to it even now all these years later. 

I never felt for my divvy mates though, Imwas glad they stayed where they were, they just wouldn’t get it although the divs have some what taken over. 

Oddfellows alldayer Sunday chalky no divs great djs ,400 +from all over the midlands and much further afield and most importantly great music the right venues are still there if looked for.

Social source share

39 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Oddfellows alldayer Sunday chalky no divs great djs ,400 +from all over the midlands and much further afield and most importantly great music the right venues are still there if looked for.

Unfortunately I can’t make it mate. Fantastic venue and should be a regualr venue on the scene for niters once more

Social source share

23 hours ago, Soulsides said:

even the Heavy Metal kids who love to mosh and headbang...it's absolutely wonderful to see how much these kids love the music and like yourself, they believe they're part of something very special which 'outsiders' just do not get and more to the point, will never understand . :)  

I'm glad you said that - Not least because I am taking (enduring!) my 13 year old Son (Bailey) to The Download Festival to see his fave band 'SlipKnot'. Two years ago we bought Bailey an electric guitar, and he plays it every day from the moment he comes home from School, and looks up guitar stuff on You tube every morning.

Although I can't feel it with his music, it is great to see his passion, and his obsession with it. Btw, we never had computer games in the house, and believe he is so much the better for it - He is one of few young people who can actually communicate face to face (He doesn't shut up sometimes!) 

I also never felt sorry for 'the outsiders', just kinda superior when I used to leave home near on midnight as they were all coming home (with their kebabs) :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, LEN said:

I'm glad you said that - Not least because I am taking (enduring!) my 13 year old Son (Bailey) to The Download Festival to see his fave band 'SlipKnot'. Two years ago we bought Bailey an electric guitar, and he plays it every day from the moment he comes home from School, and looks up guitar stuff on You tube every morning.

Although I can't feel it with his music, it is great to see his passion, and his obsession with it. Btw, we never had computer games in the house, and believe he is so much the better for it - He is one of few young people who can actually communicate face to face (He doesn't shut up sometimes!) 

I also never felt sorry for 'the outsiders', just kinda superior when I used to leave home near on midnight as they were all coming home (with their kebabs) :wink:

Thats the difference, dad taking lad......in our day we’d have sneaked off 😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, LEN said:

True - In this case it's more like lad taking dad though :D

We were all a lot more independent / worldly confident at that age than kids are nowadays weren't we? So many of us have told our parents we were staying at a mates and visa versa, and gone off 'in to the night'.

Here's Bailey. Remember some time in the future - You saw him here first! :D

Bailey.thumb.JPG.8b8006370a9c227efd924ecdd634e0b3.JPG

Right on Bailey, give em hell ! 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Predominatly white working class British kids loving collecting dancing to obscure ten year old music made by predominatly black working class American kids ,  thats a bit special and 40 odd years later I still cant explain it 🤔

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Feeling the goose bumps when you hear a tune you've heard a thousand times, getting that lump in your throat under control in case you blubber when everybody claps at the same place in a record as you do and the genuine excitement when you just hear the term Northern Soul mentioned. And knowing that you lot know what I'm on about. 

Love it and can't help myself. 

Hugh

• Up vote 3
Social source share

21 hours ago, Colnago said:

Talking of dedication, I knew a girl who was mad on the Levellers ( I don’t know any of their stuff , but they were big or still are ) she heard about a gig they were doing in st ives so she dives into the car and drove down to Cambridgeshire. It was in Cornwall st ives , did she come home , did she hell , straight on to Cornwall. It was for the music too she wasn’t some besotted teenager after the lead singer 👩‍🎤 she set off from Burnley where she lived at that time 

Off Topic - I have seen Levellers live at Brighton Essential Festival in 97

Social source share

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, LEN said:

Ok, so I'm just back from an amazing adventure that was 'The Download Festival'.....In ref to this thread, I'd like to think the people I witnessed over this trip do get something similar to us from there 'thing' as we do of ours. I wouldn't go as far as to say they get the 'goose bumps' (as mentioned earlier) of emotion, but they do get the excitement.

I'm soooo not a 'metal head', in fact I freely admitted I was a 'plastic' to everyone I met over the weekend (in the hope that me saying so somehow saved me from being one) :huh:

Suffice to say - I was the embarrassing Dad. And this little story proves that (more than I like actually).........Bailey and I were walking back to our tent after seeing a band called 'Slayer' who had just finished their last ever UK concert (Which was a big deal) A security man asked me about the headline act 'Tool' who were on the main stage...."Mate, are the headline act using cartoons in their graphics?".....(I replied, but by this point of the weekend I was extremely tired)......."I dunno, we were at the other stage watching Slade"......(Queue Bailey)......."Slayer Dad! Slayer!".....All this in front a load of metal heads, who incidentally were falling about laughing - OOOPS!......"Really?".......(I tried to save)......."I thought they sounded different"......Off I and a well and truly embarrassed Bailey marched :D

I think I will stick to soul, but it was good to see others enjoying their thing (As well as a great adventure with my Son)

'Embarrassing Dad'

159636942_DOWNLOAD1.thumb.JPG.b456965e41b22ae83a0ad40425b5799c.JPG

'Their Camp Site'

1984139023_DOWNLOAD2.thumb.JPG.455a6f8750e8c3bbf4d162e793872b37.JPG

'Our Camp Site'....Thank the lord I chose the 'Quiet Camp Site!'

234372005_DOWNLOAD3.thumb.JPG.cafc0b197f4ee2cdebe95a3fc4c0b93c.JPG

'Bailey with some Metal Heads'

1057167717_DOWNLOAD4.thumb.JPG.23faf43dc73799dbd643f87c048c7358.JPG

'Bailey hopefully getting something similar to what we feel'

531617953_DOWNLOAD5.thumb.JPG.3db4a08500114bc2abf7d818caac39f4.JPG

Great photos. Great to see a Dad putting himself out there with his lad.  It was the same for me with my lad only it was fishing! (I hated it! LOL!).  I'd have to get up at 4am on Sunday mornings and lug all the kit to a lake or riverbank and then spend 5 or six hours pretending to be loving it! LOL! Dave 😉 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, LEN said:

Ok, so I'm just back from an amazing adventure that was 'The Download Festival'.....In ref to this thread, I'd like to think the people I witnessed over this trip do get something similar to us from there 'thing' as we do of ours. I wouldn't go as far as to say they get the 'goose bumps' (as mentioned earlier) of emotion, but they do get the excitement.

I'm soooo not a 'metal head', in fact I freely admitted I was a 'plastic' to everyone I met over the weekend (in the hope that me saying so somehow saved me from being one) :huh:

Suffice to say - I was the embarrassing Dad. And this little story proves that (more than I like actually).........Bailey and I were walking back to our tent after seeing a band called 'Slayer' who had just finished their last ever UK concert (Which was a big deal) A security man asked me about the headline act 'Tool' who were on the main stage...."Mate, are the headline act using cartoons in their graphics?".....(I replied, but by this point of the weekend I was extremely tired)......."I dunno, we were at the other stage watching Slade"......(Queue Bailey)......."Slayer Dad! Slayer!".....All this in front a load of metal heads, who incidentally were falling about laughing - OOOPS!......"Really?".......(I tried to save)......."I thought they sounded different"......Off I and a well and truly embarrassed Bailey marched :D

I think I will stick to soul, but it was good to see others enjoying their thing (As well as a great adventure with my Son)

'Embarrassing Dad'

159636942_DOWNLOAD1.thumb.JPG.b456965e41b22ae83a0ad40425b5799c.JPG

'Their Camp Site'

1984139023_DOWNLOAD2.thumb.JPG.455a6f8750e8c3bbf4d162e793872b37.JPG

'Our Camp Site'....Thank the lord I chose the 'Quiet Camp Site!'

234372005_DOWNLOAD3.thumb.JPG.cafc0b197f4ee2cdebe95a3fc4c0b93c.JPG

'Bailey with some Metal Heads'

1057167717_DOWNLOAD4.thumb.JPG.23faf43dc73799dbd643f87c048c7358.JPG

'Bailey hopefully getting something similar to what we feel'

531617953_DOWNLOAD5.thumb.JPG.3db4a08500114bc2abf7d818caac39f4.JPG

Our local paper ran a story of people leaving before the music had even started.

at least you stuck it out and looks like you had a great time.

i am looking forward to similar adventures with my kids as they get a bit older.  Not sure i could manage download but if thats what they want to do i would have to give in.....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Good to see youngsters having their own experiences. In years to come they will look back fondly to these events. I still vividly recall gigs I went to from the early 70's when live gigging was much in vogue and you get to see lots of different artists - some big, some small - without breaking the bank.

Like musical taste, its all personal. Its about how you feel at the time and how you remember.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Leicester Boy said:

That you haven't brow beaten him into being a soulie is great,  he obviously loves his chosen music and if he gets the thrill we soulies do hes a lucky lad. Your a great dad by the way i couldn't have gone through it.

I tell you what - When I first 'hit the main arena' (as they say) I thought what a racket! But by the end of the weekend I even had a head bang myself (Don't tell the others I said that) :wink:

Albeit with ear plugs in (God I am old) :D

I wholeheartedly take your point about not brow beating him in to being a soulie - He has to do his own thing (Fine had it been soul of course) I asked him what he would do with my records once I'm gone. He answered....."I'm going to keep them because they will remind me of you Dad"....... Ok, so maybe he was saying something to please me, and in reality will sell the day after I'm gone - But it was sweet to hear :D

Social source share

To have a love of Soul music you must first have a love of Music. Our passion is no better or deeper felt that lot's of other people's love of other genre's. To think otherwise is delusional in the extreme. 

Edited by Zed1
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

30 minutes ago, Zed1 said:

To have a love of Soul music you must first have a love of Music. Our passion is no better or deeper felt that lot's of other people's love of other genre's. To think otherwise is delusional in the extreme. 

I agree - It's interesting to read people's views on this. Some people I know can't comprehend how on earth other people can feel the same about music other than soul, such is their passion.

It's understandable though.

Social source share

1 minute ago, LEN said:

I agree - It's interesting to read people's views on this. Some people I know can't comprehend how on earth other people can feel the same about music other than soul, such is their passion.

It's understandable though.

Nice one indeed! It's certainly not clear cut, it's not all that generational either - the founder members of Slayer are 55 now and Tool are in their late 50's, so not youngsters.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Nice one indeed! It's certainly not clear cut, it's not all that generational either - the founder members of Slayer are 55 now and Tool are in their late 50's, so not youngsters.

I had heard of 'Slayer', but not 'Tool'.

Although my Son is only just 13, he said an interesting thing with ref to our scene - He said that it hadn't evolved, yet his music was constantly evolving (I know this could be argued to a point) But if you compare the metal type music of the early days to today with the likes of 'SlipKnot', they are very different, but still the same genre. There are loads of new bands they were talking about / giving each other recommendations to listen to, so it seems this 'racket' will go on forever (man)

Oh god what's happening to me?!!! :D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Interesting insight, I think he's right. Maybe it's because rock/metal is based on live acts; OK so there are records but the main communal experience is going to see bands and dancing/moshing/stagediving etc. Whereas the experience of soul is based much more on records; OK so there are live acts but few and far between and even then there will be DJ's and records and most people's experience will be dancing to recorded music. So rock would die out without a constant supply of new acts, whereas soul lives on through old records even if they're newly discovered (albeit there are a few new ones). 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Under the broad umbrella of soul music there is a ridiculous amount of music under a lot of different genres, tempos and eras.

the records I love now I wouldnt have given a second listen when I started so within the genre my tastes have evolved a lot.

i don’t think the evolution of rock music would have been any greater than this.

people are either passionately into music or they aren’t.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!