Male / Female variants

Guest Gogs

Was listening to ‘Al Perkins - ‘yes my goodness yes’ and remembered his partner or wife Velma Perkins also cut the side, either an unissued thing or for Lion records I cant remember,  both great though... in fact didn’t al cut two versions, Or was Buddha picked up on Atco? 

And to turn this on the side for a moment how about: 

GIrl Watcher / Boy Watcher 🙂 

mal 

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Plus of course pretty obvious, but Barbara Lynn's version of William Bell etc (much prefer WB) - Trying to love two.

And Barbara Carr's god-awful version Clarence Carter's version of Messing With My Mind.

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Guest Gogs

Really good so far, lots that i've never heard before. Always thought that going by previous preferences that i would like more of the female versions but no.

really love the Embers version of "It ain't necessary"

But prefer the Eloise Law to Jerry Butler, which also surprised me.

Keep them coming.

Social source share

On 25/05/2019 at 06:55, Mal C said:

Was listening to ‘Al Perkins - ‘yes my goodness yes’ and remembered his partner or wife Velma Perkins also cut the side, either an unissued thing or for Lion records I cant remember,  both great though... in fact didn’t al cut two versions, Or was Buddha picked up on Atco? 

And to turn this on the side for a moment how about: 

GIrl Watcher / Boy Watcher 🙂 

mal 

The Al Perkins Buddah one is a later recording and different and inferior to, the one on Atco.

The one by Velma Perkins is unreleased at the time I think, but on the Numero Twinight comp.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

26 minutes ago, JoeSoap said:

I think I only heard this for the first time on Richard Searling's radio show this week. Very showbiz / pop, maybe but absolutely excelllent!

I've just realised. This sounds exactly like Des O'Connor singing. Could it be...?😂

Edited by JoeSoap
Social source share

9 hours ago, JoeSoap said:

I think I only heard this for the first time on Richard Searling's radio show this week. Very showbiz / pop, maybe but absolutely excelllent!

I would've thought it a reasonable assumption that it's Tony Orlando, as in the old Wigan stomper 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon' : )

Social source share

Always loved these boy\girl answer records. Big favorite is Gene Chandler answers to Mary Wells with threw a lucky punch. Myself and my girl once recorded a mix of an hour or so of these records with her playing the girl records and myself playing the guy records. You can listen here https://www.mixcloud.com/Akro1/he-said-she-said/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xja1y2gbRmc

Social source share

On 29/05/2019 at 14:54, Trev Thomas said:

it is tony orlando

Is it? Harry Roberts, who produced it was a UK producer / arranger. At the time it came out, Tony Orlando was Vice President of CBS Music.He did cut a few US hits under pseudonyms around this time but I can't see why he'd nip over to the UK to do this one...

Social source share

On 31/05/2019 at 00:45, JoeSoap said:

Is it? Harry Roberts, who produced it was a UK producer / arranger. At the time it came out, Tony Orlando was Vice President of CBS Music.He did cut a few US hits under pseudonyms around this time but I can't see why he'd nip over to the UK to do this one...

or maybe harry roberts nipped over to the states....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!