Why no soul ?

Guest Spain pete

Guest Spain pete

Flicking through the sky tv box loads of crappy music stations, pop , rock, country, but nothing dedicated to proper soul music , anyone out there with a few bob ever thought of putting  one up  to rival the likes of that's what l call piggin music 🎶🎶 that's a 📺tv station

Edited by Spain pete
Social source share

46 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Flicking through the sky tv box loads of crappy music stations, pop , rock, country, but nothing dedicated to proper soul music , anyone out there with a few bob ever thought of putting  one up  to rival the likes of that's what l call piggin music 🎶🎶

Believe it or not soul music isnt that popular , whenever you see these list shows on the box like worlds greatest top 50 albums type things  apart from Thriller there is never any black music albums .

Black American music has allways had a raw deal , odd really when you look at the  huge impact and influence its had on all genres of popular music .

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Certainly popular with me growing up in the 60s / 70s and that was without the influence of sampled rap type music and social media , nowadays with a  much more diverse cultural society I'm sure the kids want to know where their music came  from the same as we did back in the day 🎶

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
9 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Magic radio has a dedicated soul station called magic soul on dab radio and there's a particular one I listen to called. 

Keep the faith internet radio station .

I did post it  in the radio page on here.

Steve 

I'm talking about a tv 📺 station steve

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

I'm talking about the goggle box Dave 

33 minutes ago, daved said:

Solar Radio were on it until 1st June. It stopped being cost effective for them when there's so many other ways to broacast - smart phones. smart speakers, internet straming etc.  

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
37 minutes ago, daved said:

Solar Radio were on it until 1st June. It stopped being cost effective for them when there's so many other ways to broacast - smart phones. smart speakers, internet straming etc.  

The cost l think was £ 50 ,000 a year and they had no corporate advertising 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Spain pete said:

Flicking through the sky tv box loads of crappy music stations, pop , rock, country, but nothing dedicated to proper soul music , anyone out there with a few bob ever thought of putting  one up  to rival the likes of that's what l call piggin music 🎶🎶

Would be great to have re runs of soul train and such like.

I guess it's all about how much advertising revenue somebody can pull in.

Ed

Social source share

In the U.S., of the 50 + Music channels on cable tv, there are quite a few choices for Soul. There's a channel that plays mostly 60's- 80's,

another one that plays 80's, 90's and 00's, three or four Hip Hop / Rap channels and a couple that play Soul Love songs. 

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
44 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I guess it's all about how much advertising revenue somebody can pull in.

and yet they use rare soul sounds to sell all kinds of stuff on TV ads, there are topics on SS about it

I'm surprised someone has not set up a NS shopping channel on TV, that would get loads of wealthy over 60's watching

Social source share

On 05/06/2019 at 16:15, Mark S said:

Believe it or not soul music isnt that popular , whenever you see these list shows on the box like worlds greatest top 50 albums type things  apart from Thriller there is never any black music albums .

Black American music has allways had a raw deal , odd really when you look at the  huge impact and influence its had on all genres of popular music .

The more I look at life, the more I get the feeling that the vast majority of people don't really love music that much!

They just want to be fashionable.  Go with the dictated music industry fashions, so they look young and trendy.

Or they just want some background music on while they read the paper!!

They call Bruce Springsteen the Boss, even though he is a overhyped poor singer!

Then there is all the great fabulous records that get totally ignored!  Is there any justice in the music world?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I wish Channel 4 would have a trawl through their vaults and broadcast Soul

programmes from middle 80s. I remember interviews with Bobby Womack and Greg Perry, plus who remembers Jeffrey Daniels introducing Soul train in a wrap round skirt? I am sure there are more gems to be found

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, steve w said:

I wish Channel 4 would have a trawl through their vaults and broadcast Soul

programmes from middle 80s. I remember interviews with Bobby Womack and Greg Perry, plus who remembers Jeffrey Daniels introducing Soul train in a wrap round skirt? I am sure there are more gems to be found

That must've been the same programme that had a Def Jam special featuring Tashan, Chuck Stanley and Alyson Williams. It was brilliant. I may still have it on a VHS.

Social source share

On 05/06/2019 at 17:15, daved said:

I was a regular listener to Paul Collins show and he has lots of mixes up on mixcloud now.

those were excellent modern soul shows that featured some fantastic records.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

There are plenty of Soul music radio stations on apps like tunein and via the internet all play classic stuff through to upfront new releases and from jazz to Soulful house.

MiSoul on DAB broadcasting in London, Brighton, Manchester And Glasgow.

Solar Radio on SKY.

Via Tunein or internet there is Stomp Radio, again MiSoul, Zero Radio, Starpoint, CruiseFM, Cheeky Radio, again Solar, Pointblank are just a few can think of.

None are dedicated northern soul but some have dedicated shows and some will have djs on that you know like Terry Jones is on MiSoul.

Edited by Richard
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
57 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I was a regular listener to Paul Collins show and he has lots of mixes up on mixcloud now.

those were excellent modern soul shows that featured some fantastic records.

54 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Solidsoul I agree most people just happy to listen to whatever is on the radio.

not many people actually actively seek out more obscure music.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

There are plenty of Soul music radio stations on apps like tunein and via the internet.

MiSoul on DAB broadcasting in London, Brighton, Manchester And Glasgow.

Solar Radio on SKY.

Via Tunein or internet there is Stomp Radio, again MiSoul, Zero Radio, Starpoint, CruiseFM, Cheeky Radio, again Solar, Pointblank are just a few can think of.

None are dedicated northern soul but some have dedicated shows and some will have djs on that you know like Terry Jones is on MiSoul.

Was asking about a 📺tv station 😕🎶

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Would be nice to have a dedicated all soulful music tv 📺 station to showcase all things old and new would be the perfect outlet to promote new artists and labels  with articles and interviews  l believe this is a great opportunity for someone .   come on all you oligarchs💷💲🎶

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

But that is the point in question you say the music ! 🎶 I'm thinking along the lines of the broad church that is music with meaning whether it be soul ,blues, disco , house.  rap, the whole shebang ! Something along the lines of that terrible kerrang  rock station but with enlightening interviews and articles🎶

35 minutes ago, Richard said:

Agreed but you need to remember these are blokes like you and me, they’re not BBC trained presenters  that have no interest in the music and just furthering their career 😉

Social source share

I’m one of the presenters on Stomp Radio, it was a pirate back in 1987.

I’ve tried to arrange a number of interviews and it would surprise you the number of times have been asked how much would pay to have the artist come and promote their new album/single or gigs 🤭

Social source share

Bbc4 does some good music shows if you check the iplayer not soul music but the recent documentary about the guy who produced dr Dre was very good.

he also did lots of other musicians

jimmy iovine is the name is was trying to remember

Edited by Dylan
Social source share

There’s plenty of good stations and plenty of good radio shows out there, it’s much the same as with picking up records it takes a little digging 👍

Despite I’m involved in Stomp I listen to loads of the other stations 😀

Edited by Richard
Social source share

On 05/06/2019 at 20:10, solidsoul said:

The more I look at life, the more I get the feeling that the vast majority of people don't really love music that much!

They just want to be fashionable.  Go with the dictated music industry fashions, so they look young and trendy.

Or they just want some background music on while they read the paper!!

They call Bruce Springsteen the Boss, even though he is a overhyped poor singer!

Then there is all the great fabulous records that get totally ignored!  Is there any justice in the music world?

the increased feminisation of society has compounded this, women love compromise and this leads to mediocrity in all fields

he probably acknowledge that himself, his main talent is as a song writer. and he's a genius. 

'got a wife and kids in Baltimore, jack

went out for a drive and never came back.' 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!