Articles: Northern Soul Images - Keeping The Faith Copyright Letter

Many years ago our website designer used a picture he had found on the internet and added it to our website. Within days I had a demand for payment from Getty Images claiming they owned the rights to the picture. I had it removed and never heard another word. Obviously I didn't pay.

Social source share

Interesting, I worked for PYMCA way back before the dates you mention,  I know the owner sold some images to Rex, which was bought by Shutterstock Editorial, but I’m not surprised to hear about your experience, unfortunately it happens allot. 

I would say you don’t need a lawyer, simply demand a list of the images they hold, the sales they have made to which magazines and media outlets, and a list of dates, and most importantly the fees they charged. 

Once you have this, you can get to work. Review your rights via the government copyright website. 

Good luck

malcolm 

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Wow...

So who' owns all the photos sent in to soul source over the years? 

Have any ever been sold for money?

Ed

as said many times

if you have any questions on anything to do with the site then please  post them in the site support forum

that allows detailed replies/discussion and avoids taking the current discussion down off topic roads etc etc

Site Stuff - Soul Source support forum
Support & feedback. Site related feedback, questions, views, suggestions etc
Please browse recent topics as your issue may have already been reported/resolved.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/forum/41-site-stuff/

Edited by Mike
link
Social source share

21 hours ago, Mal C said:

Interesting, I worked for PYMCA way back before the dates you mention,  I know the owner sold some images to Rex, which was bought by Shutterstock Editorial, but I’m not surprised to hear about your experience, unfortunately it happens allot. 

I would say you don’t need a lawyer, simply demand a list of the images they hold, the sales they have made to which magazines and media outlets, and a list of dates, and most importantly the fees they charged. 

Once you have this, you can get to work. Review your rights via the government copyright website. 

Good luck

malcolm 

sounds like good advice

let us know how you get on John

Social source share

All my photographs have copyright details embedded in the exif  details. Not sure how easy it is to remove,  bootleg such details.  I do know the ones that I have sold have gone to private individuals for their enjoyment and are framed on the walls of the properties. 

I did allow a holiday company the use of some of my photographs to promote a cottage that they rent out via their website. I didn't charge them for it and they no longer use them. 

Steve 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Try ""Go Fund me" I am pretty sure other like minded photographers and general public who don't like to see the small business's and Individuals shafted by large corporative companies etc maybe no win no fee solicitors?    

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!