JoeSoap's profile photo

Dr John / Mac Rebennack RIP

All About the SOUL JoeSoap

Posted (edited)

Passed. Sad news. One of the last of the greats in my book. Loved all his stuff but here's a few with Soul Source appeal. He must have played on and written loads though...

(These first two are his partner, the unsung Ronnie Barron on vocals and I think came out under his name on 7).

Talk about an oldie!

Edited by JoeSoap
  • Up vote 3

Share this source music forum post

soul source url
Posted

RIP Mac (great writing indeed)

• Up vote 2

soul source url
Posted

Here's one popular on the Mod scene

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

and another....

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted

A great character and talent RIP

soul source url
Posted

Forgot this one..

• Thanks 1

soul source url
Posted

I was fortunate enough back in 1972 to be doing Security at Bickershaw festival where amongst many other top artists performing was Dr John and the Night Trippers, they came on stage at 3am in the middle of a storm I was positioned at the side of the Stage, They were spellbinding lifted everybody,s  spirits despite the storm, it was a magic set very surreal and influenced by Dr Johns mix of New Orleans soul , R and B and Voodoo drum beats , There were some top artists at Bickershaw festival but I can honestly say Dr John and the night trippers were the top performers there , I think to  see him live with his band and dancers took it to another level,

RiP Dr John

KR

Mick Lyons

• Up vote 3

soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

I was fortunate enough back in 1972 to be doing Security at Bickershaw festival where amongst many other top artists performing was Dr John and the Night Trippers, they came on stage at 3am in the middle of a storm I was positioned at the side of the Stage, They were spellbinding lifted everybody,s  spirits despite the storm, it was a magic set very surreal and influenced by Dr Johns mix of New Orleans soul , R and B and Voodoo drum beats , There were some top artists at Bickershaw festival but I can honestly say Dr John and the night trippers were the top performers there , I think to  see him live with his band and dancers took it to another level,

RiP Dr John

KR

Mick Lyons

dr-john-bick72.jpg

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Great artist, love this super, witty, hugely funky, under rated side from 1994

• Up vote 1

soul source url
Posted

Like this one from 2012..

soul source url
Posted

New Orleans’s original White Negro

soul source url
Posted

His 1978 LP "City Lights" is a personal favourite, but his rolling piano style can also be found on a lot of session recordings, including this from BB King's 1981 LP:

soul source url
Posted

And a standout track from a standout album:

soul source url
Posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guUN-5Xpdt0 This is great from the Locked Down album in 2012. The drumming is manic.

RIP

soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

Source Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.