Scotch club Torquay

Anyone have memories of the Scotch club in Torquay, used to visit on the summer works shut downs in the early 70's, great music, first heard Earl Van Dyke 6 x 6 before it was reissued, Impressions - You Always Hurt Me amongst others, great DJ who always played a version of the William Tell overture as the final record, trumpet solo blasting out. Normally a great crowd only there for the music but it was the first & only time i have seen two females scrapping, one tried to glass the other & had to be dragged away!

P1010017.JPG

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Hi

Well I know this is some way down the road since you asked the question but as for the Club you mention  in Torquay, The Scotch Club, I along with my twin brother were the DJs there between Mid 68 through to late 71. Sadly the building has long gone but the memories are still there. If you should be interested there's a Motown & Northern Soul show hosted by Roger Honeychurch, which is broadcast via a local radio station down here called  East Devon Radio. They are currently and have been running a section about the Scotch Club weekly and the music that was played at the club, the broadcast goes out between 6PM - 8PM Saturday evenings live but there's always a listen again section Via Internet. As for your mention regarding Earl Van Dyke 6x6 I purchased many records via the US and later from places like FL Moores a record importer in the UK.

Kind regards

Stu  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Went there during a few summer holidays late 60s/early 70s along with the likes of Les Cokell, Flash, Tubby from Accrington ( all RIP) all the Keighley, Skipton, Preston and Accrington boys.  Also Mrs B was there as well (obviously not Mrs B at the time!).

Some of the above were very good at late night visits to chemists which made for some great nights😇

Happy days

• Up vote 2
Social source share

8 hours ago, soulman52 said:

Hi

Well I know this is some way down the road since you asked the question but as for the Club you mention  in Torquay, The Scotch Club, I along with my twin brother were the DJs there between Mid 68 through to late 71. Sadly the building has long gone but the memories are still there. If you should be interested there's a Motown & Northern Soul show hosted by Roger Honeychurch, which is broadcast via a local radio station down here called  East Devon Radio. They are currently and have been running a section about the Scotch Club weekly and the music that was played at the club, the broadcast goes out between 6PM - 8PM Saturday evenings live but there's always a listen again section Via Internet. As for your mention regarding Earl Van Dyke 6x6 I purchased many records via the US and later from places like FL Moores a record importer in the UK.

Kind regards

Stu  

If you have any photos of people or the club , please post them up.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!