Papa Bear And The Cubs Just out.

Guest Shufflin
25 minutes ago, Scootboy said:

I like buying Japanese releases

same, picking up a few new sounds from Japan, some quality records

Edited by Shufflin
Social source share

On 19/06/2019 at 14:36, Mark Bicknell said:

Just out and it's flying out, legit dues paid first class sound quality.

20190618_174640.jpg

20190618_174552.jpg

20190618_174605.jpg

uplifting publicity blurb/ sleeve notes worth a quote

a great background story

Deepfunk / soul super rarity flipped with one of the best deep soul sides ever recorded, the family had some great images so we opted for a picture sleeve on this one, 400 copies only. forget about finding an O.G. Researched by our man, Brian Sears

Papa Bear And His Cubs were the brainchild of Eddie Disnute Sr., aka Papa Bear. A native resident of Hampton, Arkansas. Eddie started his music career in gospel then transitioned into secular music after moving to Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1963. While living in Milwaukee with his wife and children, Eddie played with a group called the Fenders but eventually decided to start a group of his own with his kids aptly named Papa Bear And His Cubs. 

Eddie Sr., a naturally gifted musician, taught his children how to play music. Creativity is a part of the Disnute DNA and before long Eddie's cubs were perfecting chops of their own. Papa Bear And His Cubs started performing together around the late 1960s. Although a few memorable gigs came their way, Wisconsin proved to be too cold for the Disnutes so they made their way back to Hampton, Arkansas. 

The family continued to perform in Arkansas then made another move to Houston, Texas where they hoped to break into the music scene down south. They lived there for nearly three years and even recorded at SugarHill Studios, yet nothing materialized and the recordings remain a mystery to this day. For their final move, the Disnutes returned home to Hampton after Eddie's wife Christine (aka Mother Goose) received word that her father was ill. 

In 1975 the group recorded their only vinyl record at Sam Griffith's home recording studio in Camden, Arkansas. Disnute Sr. recalls it only taking "one night, and one take" for both "Sweetest Thing On This Side Of Heaven" and "You're So Fine" to be born. Both songs have an entrancing quality that is inescapable and will surely resonate with listeners for years to come. 

The group continued to perform until the early 1980s, at which point the cubs were bears themselves, who decided to go their own separate ways. When thinking back to their prime days, one thing will always remain clear in Eddie Sr.'s memory, "we could play, all it took was a countdown of 1, 2 ,3, 4 and we're gone".

https://aotn.kudosrecords.co.uk/release/ath077/papa-bear-his-cubs-youre-so-fine

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Shufflin
38 minutes ago, Rick Smith said:

Just bought one from Juno. Limited to one copy per person.

really? it's been sold out for a while

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
1 hour ago, Scootboy said:

Discogs sellers, have started with the silly prices

the price of the Daptone picture disk is also through the roof, madness

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
4 minutes ago, Richard said:

True but by time you add the postage, import tax etc. 🤔

*Please note, if you are ordering during the 2nd round of pre-orders, your items will not ship until streetdate (6/28)*

I wonder if that means it's a 2nd pressing? hence the price on discogs? or maybe the discogs price is simply ridiculous??

weird

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Kudos didn't have any copy in stock when the record was released, they probably got their stock now and they are selling it,

good for them that they sell at this price, I was tempted to buy an extra copy but I stopped myself 😀,

so far, they must have sold more than 10 copies.

AOTN don't usually repress their limited releases,

one example

bm.jpg

Edited by Scootboy
Social source share

On 07/08/2019 at 06:25, Richard said:

Have also noticed Kudos listing one copy at a time on discogs, as one sells they put another on.

Fair enough they are selling for about £12 with postage but it does seem bit odd 🤔

You can buy more than one copy at their website. I don't think there is anything untoward happening.
Probably just an easier way for them to keep track of what stock has sold and where.

Social source share

40 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Surely that's 396 then?

My brain has nearly fried with the kids being off school, have some sympathy please :)

Just a thought.... if Euan's watching this thread and watching his bank balance increasing with all this free advertising !!!

When record's are "limited" why can't companies do the "Number/sticker" thing to stop these worries about the "truth", surely it can't be that expensive.

I just picked up a Beatles White album at the weekend for 99p(Car boot sale) but at least it was numbered (208,046) so I know it was sort of limited :)

Numbered.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

My brain has nearly fried with the kids being off school, have some sympathy please :)

Just a thought.... if Euan's watching this thread and watching his bank balance increasing with all this free advertising !!!

When record's are "limited" why can't companies do the "Number/sticker" thing to stop these worries about the "truth", surely it can't be that expensive.

I just picked up a Beatles White album at the weekend for 99p(Car boot sale) but at least it was numbered (208,046) so I know it was sort of limited :)

have you been in touch with him?

surely the first stop if anyone has any concerns on this sort of thing is to simply ask the person involved

fryer can't be too hard to track down

profile on here @fryer

plus sure he can be contacted via emails etc showing on various websites and such

have you or anyone else asked him about your concerns ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!