Papa Bear And The Cubs Just out.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

have you been in touch with him?

surely the first stop if anyone has any concerns on this sort of thing is to simply ask the person involved

fryer can't be too hard to track down

profile on here @fryer

plus sure he can be contacted via emails etc showing on various websites and such

have you or anyone else asked him about your concerns ?

To be honest no, he's based in Edinburgh and he hasn't been active since 2018 and I guess he is just busy busy

I will send him the link though right now

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mike said:

have you been in touch with him?

surely the first stop if anyone has any concerns on this sort of thing is to simply ask the person involved

fryer can't be too hard to track down

profile on here @fryer

plus sure he can be contacted via emails etc showing on various websites and such

have you or anyone else asked him about your concerns ?

I have messaged him Mike

Social source share

3 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

My brain has nearly fried with the kids being off school, have some sympathy please :)

Just a thought.... if Euan's watching this thread and watching his bank balance increasing with all this free advertising !!!

When record's are "limited" why can't companies do the "Number/sticker" thing to stop these worries about the "truth", surely it can't be that expensive.

Limited edition art prints they just handwrite 1/500 etc. on the corner, that would do.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

My brain has nearly fried with the kids being off school, have some sympathy please :)

Just a thought.... if Euan's watching this thread and watching his bank balance increasing with all this free advertising !!!

When record's are "limited" why can't companies do the "Number/sticker" thing to stop these worries about the "truth", surely it can't be that expensive.

I just picked up a Beatles White album at the weekend for 99p(Car boot sale) but at least it was numbered (208,046) so I know it was sort of limited :)

Numbered.jpg

Numbering Ltd releases is a nightmare. Is it 500 limited to the UK, Europe or worldwide? You state 500 copies then it turns out that 70 copies are off centre or warped and get returned  so you press another 70. You can’t turn the numbering system back so someone gets No 564 and accuses you of pressing extra copies. It’s never as straight forward as people imagine...

Edited by Godzilla
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Simple answer would be to change label or ink colour to distinguish if reissued. In the days when the labels are printed from a computer  that wouldn’t be hard to arrange.

However if punted out saying limited to 5 or 500 surely the answer is don’t reissue or what’s the point of saying it’s limited issue.

Btw I am talking in general 👍

Social source share

7 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Numbering Ltd releases is a nightmare. Is it 500 limited to the UK, Europe or worldwide? You state 500 copies then it turns out that 70 copies are off centre or warped and get returned  so you press another 70. You can’t turn the numbering system back so someone gets No 564 and accuses you of pressing extra copies. It’s never as straight forward as people imagine...

In 2018 over 31000 numbered limited editions new titles were introduced to the world (and that's just listed on Discogs), so it does appear that it happens more than I knew. I am guessing that when the original idea of "Limited Editions" was first introduced it was a marketing thing as there are some silly examples of "Limited Editions" around the world.

I know my wife gets all dizzy when she spots a "Limited Edition" handbag (that costs a fortune) and my blood pressure increases.

You have made a really good point though about potential errors in manufacturing, so it will be interesting to see someone can suggest a way round the problem to stop these concerns about proof.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Chalky it is a very fine piece of music, I only buy tracks I like not for potential value. My latest buy  is a UK copy Lenny Welch ‎– When There's No Such Thing As Love was £6.99 and personally I love it 🙂

However if it’s initially sold as limited edition surely we should at least expect that it is what has been advertised.

Again not saying that this is the case in this instance as there may be a very simple explanation 👍

Edited by Richard
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Richard said:

Had it confirmed it has been repressed 

Can you confirm the source please and someone needs to take this up as IMHO to say "Limited Edition" (if that was claimed) and then repress an identical copy (without any identifiers to state) then that is a bit naughty don't we think, If it does have differences or states clearly that it's a repress then I don't have a problem with that at all and I guess no one else will either. I have kept my copy sealed and gave the other copy to a friend so have no idea on this. I know (thanks I believe to Chalky) that when the below link was repressed a faint red apple appeared on the represses to identify

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Nope the repress is on AOTN, silver ink on same blue, same picture sleeve, same run out, same release number, in fact same everything - nothing any different and the blurb deffo is talking about this release and 400 copies only.

There's just too many from too many sources not to be repressed, the only other explanation would have been dripped out 200/300 and kept the other back to be dripped out but as I say too many from too many.

Edited by Richard
Social source share

And yet prices on the usual sites are unbelievable for the re-issue even now with copies about that are no different to the FIRST Press, record buying/selling today is crazy, seems a lot of sellers have no conscience.

Bought my original off 'Voices' (Rod Dearlove) when he first found them like most people For around  £8 or £12 Honestly can't remember and he did only have a hand full at the time .Have to say it was a record i struggled with at the time as it all but cleared the floor and dropped it fairly quickly.  So when Rob Thomas some years later asked me if i still had it and asked me if i wanted to part with it as he had a buyer (silly Money) i let it go with no regrets  Had the chance to buy the Re-Issue but didn't bother because to be honest i just think it is an ok record so wasn't fussed about it but that's just me.  

Edited by Rick Scott
spelling
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 14/08/2019 at 20:56, Timillustrator said:

Limited edition art prints they just handwrite 1/500 etc. on the corner, that would do.

some of these limited edition 45's do exactly that, but not that many of them

best solution really plus 2nd presses should have different colour labels etc as others have said

hope we get a clear answer to this one

Social source share

I’m sorry that there’s a difference of opinion but if anything is marketed as limited edition it should be that or the reputation of a company means nothing and trust is lost.

A lot of people would have bought this thinking it was limited and so bought from Japan, Germany, the States etc. & in doing so incurred extra costs. Would they have done that if they knew that actually would come back into stock in the UK? Also some may have incurred customs charges on top. So an £11 record could now have cost them £25/£30.

Also what about the ones who have paid £40/£50 from eBay, discogs etc. Would they have paid that in the knowledge it would come back in to stock for £11?

Yes it’s not something that someone is trying to get £000s per copy but the same principles apply otherwise it’s just false marketing, just the same but at a lower profit point.

This is a scene built on exclusivity and elusiveness so yes to me it should be Ronseal.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest Shufflin

this thread got me thinking about other limited releases I've picked up, like

"Previously Unreleased 300 only Bandcamp Exclusive, No repress. "

then bandcamp stats say

"Appears in [insert number much higher than 300] other collections"

🙂

how does that work? probably me being thick

Social source share

On 14/08/2019 at 22:06, Godzilla said:

Social source share

Seems to me that some folk are getting annoyed that their so-called 'limited edition' has been re-pressed purely because it might affect future value of a potential "rarity" .... :g:

If you want to buy a MD +P as an investment then fork out for an original FFS ... :dash2:

Edited by WoodButcher
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I’m sorry that there’s a difference of opinion but if anything is marketed as limited edition it should be that or the reputation of a company means nothing and trust is lost.

A lot of people would have bought this thinking it was limited and so bought from Japan, Germany, the States etc. & in doing so incurred extra costs. Would they have done that if they knew that actually would come back into stock in the UK? Also some may have incurred customs charges on top. So an £11 record could now have cost them £25/£30.

Also what about the ones who have paid £40/£50 from eBay, discogs etc. Would they have paid that in the knowledge it would come back in to stock for £11?

Yes it’s not something that someone is trying to get £000s per copy but the same principles apply otherwise it’s just false marketing, just the same but at a lower profit point.

This is a scene built on exclusivity and elusiveness so yes to me it should be Ronseal.

There is already greedy b*stards on discogs charging £30 for a copy and it is still available for £11.  As Steve said with this and other releases people just seem to care about there limited single not being as limited as they thought and their “investment” being devalued. Time the companies stopped saying how many they press and just list for sale and mark sold out when gone. 

Like I said it should be about the music and not some out for an investment.  

How many have to be pressed for it to not be a limited press?

this scene might be about exclusiveness and elusive records but that is for 30, 40 and 50 year old records not new releases. A release should match the market not the few, I’m sure that is what many of the elusive discs we chase were once marketed for.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Chalky said:

There is already greedy b*stards on discogs charging £30 for a copy and it is still available for £11.  As Steve said with this and other releases people just seem to care about there limited single not being as limited as they thought and their “investment” being devalued. Time the companies stopped saying how many they press and just list for sale and mark sold out when gone. 

In total agreement it shouldn’t be put out saying how many then when they’re gone they’re gone or repressed as the case may be 👍

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Chalky said:

this scene might be about exclusiveness and elusive records but that is for 30, 40 and 50 year old records not new releases. A release should match the market not the few, I’m sure that is what many of the elusive discs we chase were once marketed for.

As I said it's always been a marketing thing and I agree get rid of it

In the US, Limited Editions are regulated under Consumer Protection Law (albeit more to works of fine art) I doubt if lawyers will bother until they reach the dizzy heights of paintings

Social source share

On 16/08/2019 at 19:03, Chalky said:

Thought would show you the same listing as you did for Drizabone Pressure

2019-07-31Mint (M)Mint (M)£75.00£75.00

Comments: *****MINT AND SEALED*******

2019-07-28Mint (M)Mint (M)£35.53€39.00

Comments: still sealed

2019-07-22Mint (M)Mint (M)£40.96$49.95

Comments: NEW. Ships within 24 hours. FREE 2-day EXPRESS shipping on orders over $100. 

2019-07-22Mint (M)Mint (M)£44.64€49.00

Comments: Sealed

2019-07-20Mint (M)Mint (M)£44.64€49.00

2019-07-19Mint (M)Mint (M)£40.00£40.00

2019-07-19Mint (M)Mint (M)£40.00£40.00

2019-07-17Mint (M)Mint (M)£44.64€49.00

2019-07-15Mint (M)Mint (M)£44.64€49.00