'Ton of Dynamite'..what is this?

Joesoap

Can't use the link, but could be the US release without the middle being knocked ouy. It happened a lot with just about anything New York. (we always called then New York presses, but there may have been similar occurances in other places)

I know Richard had TOD in that format.

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

3 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

That's cool, but I am still confused.... a little

I guess most pressing plants would simply make them "as" dinked as standard, but in the case of the record being discussed here they made them "all ?" with middles and then went to the trouble of dinking them or punters just did it when they purchased them ? (apart from Richard's copy)

Interesting stuff

I had a Philly 33 1/3 O'Jays US with a centre but never seen a turbo one until now

Social source share

26 minutes ago, The Yank said:

I don't know if this was the O'Jays single you had but... this was how some (Atlantic, Columbia etc.) U.S. companies released

extended versions before the 12" format was used.

O'jays.jpg

That's the one :) Jonathan Woodliffe was after a 12" Demo and I have mentioned before in a previous thread somewhere that we don't think it exists

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

On 25/06/2019 at 03:55, Blackpoolsoul said:

So this begs the question of how some US records "were" pressed. Did they press them all like this and then had a machine to punch them out and if so.......why ? 

Good question. Looking at a few YouTube clips, it’s hard to tell but it looks like the vinyl blanks start off with a small spindle hole, have a LP type label applied when the record is hot, then the large centre hole is dinked before the 45 slides off the press onto a stack. Assuming it’s possible to remove a record for quality control pre-dinking, this would explain the format of Richard’s 45.

Are there any record pressing plants open to tours that would give further insight into the manufacturing process?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

That's the one :) Jonathan Woodliffe was after a 12" Demo and I have mentioned before in a previous thread somewhere that we don't think it exists

It does exist on 12" but this is the Tom Moulton remix from the 1977 album "Philly Classics". The 12" came out 2 years later in 1979 -

Back to Frankie Crocker .

o'jays.jpg

Edited by The Yank
Social source share

10 hours ago, The Yank said:

It does exist on 12" but this is the Tom Moulton remix from the 1977 album "Philly Classics". The 12" came out 2 years later in 1979 -

Back to Frankie Crocker .

o'jays.jpg

Thanks, we knew about this one, and I agree back to purpose of thread "Dinking" :)

Interesting that the image here has a larger dinked centre, than the non-dinked image of Richard's

Ton.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

If you mean it's larger than a normal sized US middle, then it's just an illusion.

The record above is scanned inside a white sleeve, hiding the outer edge of the label, making it seem small, giving the impression of a larger middle than normal.

Sorry Mick I didn't explain very well. The "dinked" centre is right up to the "Turbo" logo as opposed to Richard's copy, that, if it was pushed out would not be as big a "dink"

Social source share

52 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Sorry Mick I didn't explain very well. The "dinked" centre is right up to the "Turbo" logo as opposed to Richard's copy, that, if it was pushed out would not be as big a "dink"

Ahh, see what you mean now.

OK well the label is a different print layout and the vinyl looks different too, so it may be a different press. Having said that, I can't remember seeing a normal dinked copy like this, but to be fair, I've never really looked.

In most cases of undinked variations of dinked records , the only difference is the middle. The records / labels / presses are identical.

However, In this case, I dont know if a large middle variation of RS copy exists. It may do, just never seen one myself. If it doesn't then it would make this variation stand out more than the other undinked variations.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, garethx said:

I don't think the type is different on the RS copy.

Looking more closely, I see there are three different print variations. I agree the typeface and layout is the identical througout.

It's all to do with the secondary overprint, with the black text block being positioned at different heights for each press. The undinked copy lines up exactly with the highest placed text.

Also noticed the lower placed text variations have a different colour background, changing from a stong red / crimson, to a more orange.

Heres some pics . . .

This is the copy with the Highest placed text. (This is the variation that lines up with RS's small middle copy) . . .

468162087_TonOfDynamite(HighestPrint).jpg.2c27980456edbdba103676ea8436a1d8.jpg

This is a lower placed test, changing to an almost orange background . . .

1250030778_TonOfDynamite(LowPrint).thumb.jpg.88857973354880128c027bbe78dda33e.jpg

And this is the copy with an even lower text block . . .

1193223383_TonOfDynamite(LowestPrint)2.thumb.jpg.f57812cadd39cb3ed4790621458fe614.jpg

Cheers
Mick

Social source share

There are lots of examples of this variation with indie logo's in the eighties. However, why this trait exists is open to debate, I have a few idears, but nothing factual to back it up.A few examples to hand being Dynamic Uppsetters on Mega, Quietfire on Simplex, Harden Bros on H.B, Heaven Sent & Extacy on Jamieco's, Jerome Jones on Jam for life, Strictly Buisness on S.B,. These were all pressed both solid centre and standard U.S . There does appear to be less examples in the 70's. That's the first time i've seen the Frankie Crocker one.

Social source share

On 29/06/2019 at 19:42, HARRY CROSBY said:

There was a few of these around at one time,  i don`t know wether it was one of those record bar stories but i seem to remember someone saying they were mexican? Definately was a few around at one time though. :)

I've got a Mexican 7"! The Independents, 'I love you, yes I do' on Mexican Scepter.Large centre hole, which is a bit inconclusive to say the least but suggests that was the format in Mexico at the time. Also, would companies like All Platinum / Turbo be doing separate batches and shipping them all the way down to Mexico?

I'd speculate this is more likely to be possibly something to do with radio station dj preferences. Easier to cue up / programme alongside LPs, maybe? Also, for club djs around NY? I've heard that DJs on the early 70s proto-disco scene in New York preferred releases on UK pressings. There's also things like this that were put out just for that market in New York this way:

https://www.discogs.com/Schatz-Sunny-Gale-Soon-Everything-Is-Gonna-Be-Alright-I-Wanna-Know/release/1548067

Edited by JoeSoap
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 29/06/2019 at 20:56, Mick Holdsworth said:

Looking more closely, I see there are three different print variations. I agree the typeface and layout is the identical througout.

It's all to do with the secondary overprint, with the black text block being positioned at different heights for each press. The undinked copy lines up exactly with the highest placed text.

Also noticed the lower placed text variations have a different colour background, changing from a stong red / crimson, to a more orange.

These are not different pressings. It's a case of the coloured background print labels not being properly aligned when the black print was applied - this "effect" can be seen on lots of labels. The seemingly red vs. orange label variations is also down to the first image having been scanned with "unsharp masking" setting on (which hightens contrast and causes text to get a white outline), and the other two pictures being photos taken with lighting that probably just enhanced the orange colour tones. Red/orange/pink colour variations are hard colours to properly capture.

Social source share

The black type is overprinted on existing two-colour Turbo 'blanks'. The position of the black text can of course change relative to the existing label graphics as Sebastian says. Here's an image of some Motown and related blank sheets: 

TamlaMotownGordy.jpg

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I've come across a few random USA singles with a solid centre (not those from other countries). But I just assumed they missed the dinking press for whatever reason.

Maybe for quality control inspection purposes,  I never really found out for sure.

They don't have any promo markings as you might expect if they were intended for DJs,  radio or clubs.

But it's an interesting subject for the anorak types among us!

20170307_082942.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, John Benson said:

I've come across a few random USA singles with a solid centre (not those from other countries). But I just assumed they missed the dinking press for whatever reason.

Maybe for quality control inspection purposes,  I never really found out for sure.

They don't have any promo markings as you might expect if they were intended for DJs,  radio or clubs.

20170307_082942.jpg

Anorak's we may be, but unless it's discussed it we may never know :) and I love this thread

I see a New York connection in these posts, that's for sure, don't you

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, John Benson said:

20170307_082942.jpg

hood up JB..........!!!!

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!