New Dome Event +new Flyer Gallery

Mike

As some where asking about info on a new dome event, pass on that flyers are up in the flyer gallery with full details

new flyer gallery seems to be going well, easy to use and all that, need to be logged into post, however if probs can email us flyer and will sort

• Replies 192
  • Views 15.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

I see that being promoted as being "new management" but its a completely different club with a totally different DJ line up. I think I've only ever heard Rob Messer DJ, and he's pretty good but I think that they ought to make it clear that its not a continuation of the previous club in case some people inadvertently expect residents sets from Carl Fortnum, Alan, Greg, Mick H or the like.

Maybe they should have spoken to the last management anyway because without membership they run the risk of a bunch of idiots off the street getting in looking for a late night drink/shag/fight. I understand that 15-30 people were regularly turned away from the Capitol Soul Club when it used The Dome. It might be wise to change the policy on this.

Good to see its gonna be back on. Great venue.

Just hope the new guys running it don't repeat some of the mistakes of the past.

I think many paying customers are just looking for top notch Northern Soul.

What people generally object to and don't want is too much RnB and too much 'Rarest Of The Rare'

I'm fed up with DJs just trying to impress each other & ignoring what the paying customers want. There is a very thin line in London between success and failure.

Customers vote with their feet.

I see that being promoted as being "new management" but its a completely different club with a totally different DJ line up. I think I've only ever heard Rob Messer DJ, and he's pretty good but I think that they ought to make it clear that its not a continuation of the previous club in case some people inadvertently expect residents sets from Carl Fortnum, Alan, Greg, Mick H or the like.

Maybe they should have spoken to the last management anyway because without membership they run the risk of a bunch of idiots off the street getting in looking for a late night drink/shag/fight. I understand that 15-30 people were regularly turned away from the Capitol Soul Club when it used The Dome. It might be wise to change the policy on this.

=============

Have to agree about the membership thing....the last thing any soulie want's is to go somewhere and be surrounded by dozens of outsiders, who don't appreciate the music, or the fact that we do. I've been to clubs where this policy has been tried, and the atmosphere was at best uncomfortable....particularly for girls on the scene. Hopefully the promoter will address this in the future.

Winnie:-)

Guest Stuart T

Just hope the new guys running it don't repeat some of the mistakes of the past.

What people generally object to and don't want is too much RnB and too much 'Rarest Of The Rare' 

I'm fed up with DJs just trying to impress each other & ignoring what the paying customers want. There is a very thin line in London between success and failure.

link

Greg has asked me to respond on this, so here goes (polite version of what he said to me):

I think you rather miss the point of what the Capitol Soul Club set out to achieve, which was playing new sounds and not playing the same records as every other club to people who aren't interested in hearing anything new.

As to customers voting with their feet, the first three or four years were very successful and people travelled from all over the country to attend, 250 a night in regularly for the first three years. Latterly the promoter had the good sense to stop when the audience for what they wanted to play was reduced, rather than going down a route that the club never intended to follow. It would have been easy to convert it into an oldies venue to earn a few quid, but that completely misses the club's raison d'etre (I'm paraphrasing here, Greg definitely never speaks French).

The Capitol Soul Club was a rare sixties soul club :good: , not a northern soul youth club revival night. They broke a lot of new sounds and gave others a new lease of life. If the scene in London was based around the sort of club you suggest I suspect that many people will soon be bored and not bother. That sort of soul revival club may be what you're after but not what a lot of the rest of us want. thmbdn.gif Clearly the Capitol Soul Club was not the right sort of club for you, it was for me and many others.

This new club is not a case of "its gonna be back on" but is a completely different promotion, unrelated to the previous one, :fool: so its difficult to know what route they'll be taking musically.

And as for the venue, I always thought it was a complete khazi. blush.gif

Edited by Stuart T

=================

I've seen Rob DJ and agree he's pretty good. Nige Brown is excellent IMO....I've seen him DJ many times and he's never failed to please. Tony Parker is from Rushden, and was always at the Dome, and is a decent DJ. I've only seen Jodie DJ a couple of times.....I have a feeling she's heavily into R&B, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The others I know little about, although I think a couple of them may be from the Hitchin area, not that that reflects upon their DJ'ing skills, just I think that's where they're from.

obviously the new promoter does,nt want to give to much away,i wonder why most promoters i know and thats nearly all of them,cant tell you enough about themseves or there policys ,seems strange but then again i know him.

link

=================

Not sure how to read this. Is there something we (punters) should know about the new promoters of the Dome? It's like you're alluding to something, but not actually saying anything. It makes you sound as much an enigma as the promoters you're mentioning.

Guest Stuart T

[i've seen Rob DJ and agree he's pretty good. Nige Brown is excellent IMO....I've seen him DJ many times and he's never failed to please. Tony Parker is from Rushden, and was always at the Dome, and is a decent DJ. I've only seen Jodie DJ a couple of times.....I have a feeling she's heavily into R&B, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. The others I know little about, although I think a couple of them may be from the Hitchin area, not that that reflects upon their DJ'ing skills, just I think that's where they're from.

link

Thats interesting. I may have heard Jodie play out but I'm not sure.

But out of interest wasn't Nige Brown not only responsible for playing that awful Nino Tempo thing but also one of the people DJing with one of the sounds that Gavin Stearn nicked at the Crossfire held at The Rocket? :angry:

Edited by Stuart T
Guest Stuart T

So Greg's not mellowed then, thank God.

link

Of course he has, he got me to put this into English for him. blush.gif

Edited by Stuart T

Not haveing a go at rare nites here but,stuart if as you say people would be bored with a regular oldies niter as opposed to the way the dome has been operating,how come every oldies niter in the country

is packed to the rafters,and with the exception of lifeline,in general every rare nite in the country either struggles or folds in a short period of time.This is not a criticism i am interested in your opinion.

============

No Ady, you had an Omega.....those lovely cars that Vauxhall used to produce........ :D   biggrin.gif

link

one of the better cars I have owned, nice heated seats made you feel like you had just wet yourself thumbsup.gif

Thats interesting.  I may have heard Jodie play out but I'm not sure.

But out of interest wasn't Nige Brown not only responsible for playing that awful Nino Tempo thing but also one of the people DJing with one of the sounds that Gavin Stearn nicked at the Crossfire held at The Rocket? :angry:

link

===============

To be honest Stuart, I try to steer clear of the politics that infest the northern scene. The whole idea for me (right from the start) was to go out, dance and enjoy myself. I've never got involved in the "Gossippy" side, so don't know whether Nige did or did not do what you are inferring. But if he's on this list, I would hope that he would be able to answer your comments. I was simply saying that he plays some great records, and keeps the dance-floor moving.......which is very important in my book.

I think Jodie played the 100 a few years ago, when Ady had the all girls night......maybe he can remember the sort of thing she played.

Not haveing a go at rare nites here but,stuart if as you say people would be bored with a regular oldies niter as opposed to the way the dome has been operating,how come every oldies niter in the country

is packed to the rafters,and with the exception of lifeline,in general every rare nite in the country either struggles or folds in a short period of time.This is not a criticism i am interested in your opinion.

link

=================

I really don't think you can aim that comment at the Dome Andy. It was the most innovative of soul nights, and as Stuart said was packed for the first 4 years. The same can be said for most of the London nights, Scenesville built up a fantastic crowd, but when it changed venues (through no fault of Nicks) the crowds started to dwindle.

Oldies nighters are always well attended, IMO mainly cos they cater for those that don't go out every weekend. Therefore when they do go out they want to hear something they're familiar with. Nothing wrong with that, but the two types of soul nights clearly cater for two different audiences.

Guest Stuart T

link

Firstly. I was responding on behalf of someone else, so please take that into account, but I do agree with what was in the post. On the other hand we are making a compromise in the choice of sounds played at Solid Hit Soul (coming up this Saturday, couldn't resist a plug blush.gif ) but still slipping in a few less played bits. We don't have the materiel to go down the completely upfront route, nor do we, as you say, feel that we could use the venue in that way, so we are doing something different to the CSC, which acknowledges your point about audience requirements.

Secondly, theres still plenty of people who want a rareties night, and whilst they may not currently be of a sufficient number to fill a venue the size of the ones that you mention, this was formerly the case at the CSC.

Finally, the CSC was not desperate to be rammed to the rafters, as I understand it, but to provide a venue for the kinds of sounds that they wanted to air. I think thats the main point of the post. Granted these nights are now not as viable, mainly, as Chalky has stated (was it on this site or the other one?), there is more choice for this sort of venue so you don't get the travelling crowd having to go too far for upfront venues.

Ah well, soon its back to small pub back rooms for us. At least the beer is cheap. :D

Edited by Stuart T
Guest Stuart T

Politics never die - they just change their stories  blush.gif

link

err, "nice" avatar, but there's something different about you Janine, have you changed your hair?

link

I really wasn't going to bite. I could see the hook and line dangling. but then I thought Oh Bollocks why not blush.gif

The Dome's success was built on DJ's spinning unknown stuff. That was the whole point. Yes classics were spun as well, R'n'B too. CSC had two or three years of having to lock people out, which you've seemed to completely forgotten about.

How do you define "top notch Northern"?

If you mean wall to wall classics, then London did have a venue. it was called the Rocket and that wasn't a roaring success was it.

IMHO CSC attracted people from far and wide and when clubs like Lifeline and the like started up serving up a similar fare, then it was easier to travelto venues nearer home than come all the way to the smoke.

As far as the venue is concerned now, the sound system needs replacing, the dancefloor is a disaster and the whole place needs doing up.

Guest Stuart T

As far as the venue is concerned now, the sound system needs replacing, the dancefloor is a disaster and the whole place needs doing up.

link

You see, the CSC wore the bloody place out.

how come every oldies niter in the country

link

The Hundred Club's been upfront and rare for at least 20 of its 25 years so I don't think you could call that struggling. There's not an oldies night that's made it anywhere near as long.

It would be very interesting to see how an out & out oldies night went in the Smoke. I don't think it would work because the regulars know their music inside out and like a changing playlist over the months to keep things fresh. But if anyone gave it a go I'd pop in for a pint.

:D

If you mean wall to wall classics, then London did have a venue. it was called the Rocket and that wasn't a roaring success was it.

=========SNIP=====.

======

Andy

Not taking issue with you about the Rocket, but do you really think it failed cos of it's music policy?

As for the dance-floor, well it's all those oiks who spill coke on it to slow it down......innit :Dthumbsup.gifblush.gif

Hi

Iam Nige Brown from STAFFORD , YES i DID played the Nino Tempo record fo a few months in the North West bout 18 monts.. SO WHAT!!

At the time it was being played all over the place EVEN rge RITZ NITERS!!, why single me out !!

And i HAD NOTHING to DO with the GAVIN STERN affair WHAT SO EVER, so your talking thru your arse pal!!

GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFOER YOU ACCUSE PEOPLE!!

The only problem i had this year was with Rob Thomas and that was sorted out face to face with the man him self, and that was over something else!

All ive been asked to do is DJ at this DOME gig in Jan THATS ALL!!

Ive just lost a VERY GOOD mate and fellow DJ DereK Allen at the weekend, i TOO had a mild stroke just over a year ago...i DONT need this stress and shite.

If its causes a problem for me to DJ at the Dome hust say the word ill withdraw NO PROBLEM!! Il stay up North!!

Life really is too short for this petty biching

Just thought i had a rite to reply

Take care

Nige Brown Stafford

thumbsup.gif

IMHO Win blush.gif

The Rocket didn't fail, solely because of it's music and there was a lot of other stuff flying around as well. :D

But all that has been done to death on here. :D

I would say that when CSC was at it's peak, the crowd was more up for untried or forgotten stuff than the 'classic' northern output

See you were reduced to water for the last one :D

The Dome's success was built on DJ's spinning unknown stuff. That was the whole point. Yes classics were spun as well, R'n'B too. CSC had two or three years of having to lock people out, which you've seemed to completely forgotten about.

IMHO CSC attracted people from far and wide and when clubs like Lifeline and the like started up serving up a similar fare, then it was easier to travelto venues nearer home than come all the way to the smoke.

Wasn't going to respond to this but thought sod it. The Dome started off playing some decent stuff and that is why it was one of the best soul nights about for a couple of years but the vast majority of the records they played had been known about years except it appears down south maybe due to a lot of the younger fraces.

Dave Flynn, Carl etc did introduce and play some very good rarities etc but after time the music was the same month in month out with some resident DJ's hardly ever rotating their sets, I even said so on another list and to one of the promoters face well over a year ago. The last time I went it was shite IMO and said I wouldn't travel so far to hear the music that was on offer that nite again. I know others who said the same and judging by the attendances since that nite it appears they also stuck to their words.

Are you also saying that the Dome was also a spring board for other upfront venues, what crap IMO. Upfront venues have been about since day one of the scene and know doubt will be about in years to come.

As for comparing Dome to Lifeline, the Dome IMO doens't come anywhere near it. No venue in recent times has has had such a strong upfront line up as Lifeline IMO. No other club has had the bals to put on so many upfront DJ's, usually juist one or two and a couple of safe ones as well. 'm not just saying that cause I help the promoters out and they are also mates but it does have the best niter line up and music since the 80's as far as myself and many others are concerned.

The only other niter anywhere close to the Lifeline is the 100 Club and long may it continue to do what it's done for the last 25 years.

IMHO Win :D

The Rocket didn't fail, solely because of it's music and there was a lot of other stuff flying around as well. :D

But all that has been done to death on here. :D

I would say that when CSC was at it's peak, the crowd was more up for untried or forgotten stuff than the 'classic' northern output

See you were reduced to water for the last one :D

==============

Agree with you totally Andy :D

Bit expensive to chuck red bull on the floor to counteract the talk brigade....specially since I've found out water does exactly the same thing..... :Dthumbsup.gifblush.gif:D

Guest Stuart T

Hi

Iam Nige Brown from STAFFORD  , YES i DID played the Nino Tempo record fo a few months in the North West bout 18 monts.. SO WHAT!!

All ive been asked to do is DJ at this DOME gig in Jan THATS ALL!!

If its causes a problem for me to DJ at the Dome hust say the word ill withdraw NO PROBLEM!!  Il stay up North!!

Just thought i had a rite to reply

Take care

Nige Brown  Stafford

link

You do Nige, nobody is asking you to withdraw, its really none of my business if you DJ there or not. Glad you've cleared up the rumours and confirmed that you weren't playing that track.

Wasn't going to respond to this but thought sod it. The Dome started off playing some decent stuff and that is why it was one of the best soul nights about for a couple of years but the vast majority of the records they played had been known about years except it appears down south maybe due to a lot of the younger fraces.

Dave Flynn, Carl etc did introduce and play some very good rarities etc but after time the music was the same month in month out with some resident DJ's hardly ever rotating their sets, I even said so on another list and to one of the promoters face well over a year ago. The last time I went it was shite IMO and said I wouldn't travel so far to hear the music that was on offer that nite again. I know others who said the same and judging by the attendances since that nite it appears they also stuck to their words.

Are you also saying that the Dome was also a spring board for other upfront venues, what crap IMO. Upfront venues have been about since day one of the scene and know doubt will be about in years to come.

As for comparing Dome to Lifeline, the Dome IMO doens't come anywhere near it. No venue in recent times has has had such a strong upfront line up as Lifeline IMO. No other club has had the bals to put on so many upfront DJ's, usually juist one or two and a couple of safe ones as well. 'm not just saying that cause I help the promoters out and they are also mates but it does have the best niter line up and music since the 80's as far as myself and many others are concerned.

The only other niter anywhere close to the Lifeline is the 100 Club and long may it continue to do what it's done for the last 25 years.

=================

Haven't been to the lifeline yet Chalkster, but will be there on new years eve blush.gif

Sooooooo have to say that IMO musically, the 100 is head and shoulders above any other club. As I say not discounting what you've said about Lifeline, just can't comment when I've not been there.

I can say that I've only heard good things about it.

Thanks for the reply stuart ,was just interested to see what you thought as for the new management of the dome i personaly wouldnt attend or work for them but thats a personal choice and every body has the right to voice their opinion,thats what these sites are about.As for Nige Brown we look forward to seeing you on saturday mate,and lastly long may the rare nites continue i just find that a lot of the raresoul crowd love to constantly slag off the oldies nites,live and let live boys and girls this is supposed to be fun.

SPOT ON CHALKY!!

PS the SOULTOWN niters are gott be up there now too !!!

Guest Stuart T

Are you also saying that the Dome was also a spring board for other upfront venues, what crap IMO. 

link

Don't think anyone said that Chalky. Anyhow, you've whetted my appetite even further for a trip to Lifeline, I've even found out where it is on the map. blush.gif

SPOT ON CHALKY!!

PS the SOULTOWN niters are gott be up there now too !!!

link

It is Nige and put that right in another post.

Don't think anyone said that Chalky.  Anyhow, you've whetted my appetite even further for a trip to Lifeline, I've even found out where it is on the map.  :D

link

Maybe i read Andy's post wrong then Stuart but thats how it came across to me....

IMHO CSC attracted people from far and wide and when clubs like Lifeline and the like started up serving up a similar fare

It reads as though CSC responsible for the upfront scene which again IMO is crap. The London scene comes across like this at times. Don't get me wrong had some cracking nites dowen there over the last 20 years, including the Dome but especially Scecnesville which was far more upfront than the Dome ever was, and the 100 Club.

Will buy you a proper drink when you come to Lifeline thumbsup.gif none of that lager top shite (we call it Shandy up here) :Dblush.gif

Guest Stuart T

Maybe i read Andy's post  wrong then Stuart but thats how it came across to me....

It reads as though CSC responsible for the upfront scene which again IMO is crap.  The London scene comes across like this at times.  Don't get me wrong had some cracking nites dowen there over the last 20 years, including the Dome but especially Scecnesville which was far more upfront than the Dome ever was, and the 100 Club.

Will buy you a proper drink when you come to Lifeline :D none of that lager top shite (we call it Shandy up here)  blush.gif   :D

link

Lager top? thumbsup.gif Cheeky sod, I'm not from bloody Essex you know. If you have any decent bitter up North :D it is in fact my pint of preference, but sadly very few clubs in London know how to keep a proper pint. :angry:

"Pint of vinegar please mate, can you water it down with some Thames water, oh, and if the pub dog is a bit desperate maybe he'd llike to have a piss in it too?"

I do wonder if the CSC might have taken a slightly different course if it had been an allnighter. But I don't think people are under the illusion that it was the start, the middle or the end of upfront venues.

Lager top? :D      Cheeky sod, I'm not from bloody Essex you know.  If you have any decent bitter up North blush.gif   it is in fact my pint of preference, but sadly very few clubs in London know how to keep a proper pint. :angry:  

"Pint of vinegar please mate, can you water it down with some Thames water, oh, and if the pub dog is a bit desperate maybe he'd llike to have a piss in it too?"

I do wonder if the CSC might have taken a slightly different course if it had been an allnighter.   But I don't think people are under the illusion that it was the start, the middle or the end of upfront venues.

link

Pint off Bitter, now your talking :D Know all about London ale, dead within 30 seconds. if they served that up here we would take it back, in fact took quite a few back down south in my time, they look at me gone out when I say make sure you put a head on it :Dthumbsup.gif

As for Dome, dunno, would it have consistently booked the TOP upfront dj's, it didn't even have many peoples undisputed number one on at any time in it's history.

I do how ever think that some people were under the illusion that the Dome was "it" as far as upfront venues are concerned, mainly by those who have never stepped outside of London.

Edited by chalky