New Dome Event +new Flyer Gallery

Mike

• Replies 192
  • Views 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How you gonna get on with him Pete, he's saying the people that buy your records are uneducated dullards.......or am I reading his comments all wrong?

Winnie:-)

link

He is????

Ah well.

At least he isn't afraid to make his point, I think that's good because there's way too much tip-toeing goes on. However it can also be possible that his first post was just to stir up a hornets nest, in which case it did the job!

Whatever - it's only a message-discussion board, it means f*** all, I won't see my daughter again this Xmas, thats the real world, praise be to the makers of prozac and ecstacy :rolleyes::rolleyes::wicked:

Well andy 70soul,time to put up or shut up get yourself to sheridans sat nite and i will give you my spot in between mr Brown and mr Bicknall and lets see what you have to offer,no point shouting the odds and doing f*** all about it the scene is already full of c---s like that.

link

I'll do it Andy, do they like ska up there??? :rolleyes:

'Sup mate, wasn't having a go, just saying, one of those never gets played out

link

No worries Pete, crossed purposes.

By 'played-out' I meant KRL Top 500 - 'played to death', not 'played-out' as in physically at a venue.

I spose there aren't many in this crazy world of ours that haven't been on the decks at some time.

My point was that some are played more often than others.

I'll get to grips with the Queens English at some point.......

J

Edited by Jamie

He is????

Ah well.

At least he isn't afraid to make his point, I think that's good because there's way too much tip-toeing goes on. However it can also be possible that his first post was just to stir up a hornets nest, in which case it did the job!

Whatever - it's only a message-discussion board, it means f*** all, I won't see my daughter again this Xmas, thats the real world, praise be to the makers of prozac and ecstacy :rolleyes::rolleyes::wicked:

================

Pete,

I'm not having a go at you, I hope you know that!!

I respect anybody giving their honest views, but not when they hide behind a pseuodonym or their avatar. The guy has made a number of points, but hasn't....

a)Told us who he actually is

b)Why he chose to pick on Nige and Mark

c)Why he goes to venues where he won't hear constant rarities

I could go on......but won't.

Once again Pete this is not aimed at you mate

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, I respect that right.

However, it doesn't mean that your opinion is shared by the majority of Heople who attend venues, and that is the key point here. Both Nige Brown and Mark Bicknell are hired to fill dancefloors, and both of then do that admirably.

I'll be honest, I don't always enjoy all of Nige's sets (Too much disco music for me) but when I look at the dancefloor it tends to be as busy for those as it does for the Sixties stuff.

So where is your problem ?

I suggest you stop going out altogether, then you won't be disappointed when you get there, and you won't have wasted money on petrol to watch a DJ fill a dancefloor, in a dancehall, on what is still essentially a dancing scene.

As someone who also DJs quite regularly I can tell you it is incredibly difficult to

1) find new stuff to play that hasn't already been played somewhere at sometime, by someone else, and

2) finding the right venue to play 'new' records at. 90% of venues won't accept a stream of new / unknown records, that's not what 90% of people paid their petrol money for, and

3) Even if you do find a great unknown the majority of venues are only on monthly, and unless you are resident at a venue, you might not DJ to the same crowd (So that your unknown becomes known) for at least three months.

In addition, probably a quarter to a third of my spot has already been requested before I reach the decks. Do I ignore the people who have paid to hear me DJ, or do I play their requests ?

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion, but you are out of step with the majority of people who attend venues all over the country, and unless you have been a DJ or promoter, you have no experience of the different factors that come into play before you even drop the needle onto the first record.

Oh yeah, a surname from you would be handy, then at least we know who you are, otherwise it just becomes an anonymous rant doesn't it.

link

Your on pete will have details of 5 events takeing place at shds in the new year were a bit of ska[your words] would be just the ticket m8,will keep you posted.

link

Judging by his avatar he'll be spinning 'One Eyed Giant' all night. :rolleyes::rolleyes::wicked:

Hammy

Spot on there Mr Rimmer.

Last time I heard Mark play was at Prestayn, where he played a really good spot.

Last time I heard you play was at the 100 Club. Also really good.

Both spots were totally different, but each was right for the occasion.

I really dont think this 'giving the paying customer what he wants'

stuff is all that difficult.

Col.

It would seem my offer of a spot sat nite did,nt tempt our friend not that i thought it would,im sure mark and nige would have relished the challenge,pity his bollocks are,nt as big as his mouth.

link

Well said Andy.

It's easy to talk a good spot, but when it comes down to actually doing one it's a different matter.

Well andy 70soul,time to put up or shut up get yourself to sheridans sat nite and i will give you my spot in between mr Brown and mr Bicknall and lets see what you have to offer,no point shouting the odds and doing f*** all about it the scene is already full of c---s like that.

link

I dont know wheter to laugh or cry at you. How pathetically unnessassary (yawn), again, my point is being missed soultown, again and again, its painful, its not about 'shouting the odds' or my ego , if you want to puff your chest out in a social club on a sat nite count me out, thats boys in a mans body stuff, you know, for teenagers. What the hell would I want to DJ for? I'm happy enough playing quality music at home as the majority of venues and music are numbing for me. Point missed. It is not a rant either, it is a subjective experience of individuals DJ spots. I have a right as a customer to bemoan same old same old. that has been my experiences since Thorne and Stafford.

I payed an admission and have a right to be gutted now and then (thats the point). What the hell would I want to go to Sheridans for to prove a point? what point? its hilarious. I am not claiming to be a Dj am I? and if I did I would expect people to have a pop at me for playing my own brand of mid tempo dross, it would kill other people who like listening to the same old stuff. Its part and parcel, I would accept that with dignity and even laugh about it. Unfortunetly, today, I have encountered on here, hostillity from a small closed shop of DJs and promoters presumably, who cry like big babies instead of entering into fair debate. I will take my knowlede elsewhere to a more mature and friendly site. The experience on here, today, has left me saddened at how, still, politics and very big EGOs still control this scene. I've heard 'jelousy' aimed at me and a pathetic 'DJ deul' being offered over a simple simple simple point being made. I'm shocked, absolutely shocked. Enjoy your closed shop boys you depress us all

Andy

You obviously are the one missing the point you blatantly attacked two very populer djs,you aired your views even though you still do not reveal your identity,you now babble on about a closed shop of djs and promoters i merely offered you a chance to come down and do your thing whatever it might be with us at sheridans,that is what the soultown niters were set up to provide,something for everybody includeing you my friend.

You obviously are the one missing the point you blatantly attacked two very populer djs,you aired your views even though you still do not reveal your identity,you now babble on about a closed shop of djs and promoters i merely offered you a chance to come down and do your thing whatever it might be with us at sheridans,that is what the soultown niters were set up to provide,something for everybody includeing you my friend.

=============

It clearly looks like this man/grinch has come on here to attack 2 DJs in particular. I think everybody knows there are other DJs who play total oldies sets, but he hasn't mentioned any of them.........I wonder why?

Well said Andy.

It's easy to talk a good spot, but when it comes down to actually doing one it's a different matter.

link

once again, Jesus, unbelievable. Kids stuff. I could DJ, I have excellent records stashed, but thats not my point for christs sake, this is mind numbing. Pitiful even. Its been turned into an EGO challange from a simple point being made from a paying punter. Lord, what am I missing today? whats going on? has all mankind declared that a simple debate is settled on a Dj spot? do you realise that we can have a say and imput as punters without having to DJ to defend our subjectivity? unbelievable.

once again, Jesus, unbelievable. Kids stuff. I could DJ, I have excellent records stashed, but thats not my point for christs sake, this is mind numbing. Pitiful even. Its been turned into an EGO challange from a simple point being made from a paying punter. Lord, what am I missing today? whats going on? has all mankind declared that a simple debate is settled on a Dj spot? do you realise that we can have a say and imput as punters without having to DJ to defend our subjectivity? unbelievable.

link

============

Debate as far as I can recall is when one side puts their point of view, then the other side does....then it's discussed. All you've done is make one statement after another.....you haven't discussed any of the points put to you. THAT IS NOT DEBATE. Look it up in the dictionary!!

Secondly....if you're happy to stay at home and play your records, how can you know what's being played by Nige Mark, or any other DJs. Which also leads to the point, if you're not regularly going out...how can you have a view on what's being played on the current scene.

Oh and by the way I am a paying punter, and if I don't like something (R&B for example) I say it, but I am at the venue where it's being played, and I do say it to the DJ playing it. What I don't do is demand they play something I like, because I'm aware there are other people in the room.

To be fair Andy, you ain't answered any questions as to why you plucked Mark & Nige out of the ether.

Have you any reasons for choosing them? If not, I think they are at least due an explanation.

I hope you don't ignore this post, because I'm all for having a 'fair' debate, but avoiding certain questions does nothing for credibility.

I find myself agreeing with some of your points, not the personal ones, but choose a different style of discussing them.

I try not to be offensive, and come on, what did you expect saying that a couple of well-known DJ's were in effect, Shite?

I also try to be tolerant. If I don't like a night I don't go again - simple. If there's a DJ playing that I'm not fussed about, I'll go in the other room - simple.

I don't shoot off calling them for what they have played.

I understand the point you are making, but why choose certain people???

Jamie

link

Andy you were so disparaging in your remarks about Mark Bicknell and Nige Brown, did you not think you could have used a little more tact, because to me it smacks of ignorance, i'm a huge fan of Rod Dearlove(Thorne etc) but also love the uptempo 60's scene aswell, you have left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Andy, I think that it's fine to have a point and make it on a forum like this. But,although you did make some valid points, I think you were insulting to both Mark and Nige. C'mon, look back at your posts and read em again...we all go to shit nights when the djs don't always play what we want them to but you've got to draw the line between constructive criticism and being offensive. I think that it's good that people can come on here and be honest..to a certain extent, but that's not what most of us are upset about re your posts. We can all argue about music policy til the end of the earth but the guys you dissed are friends of a lot of us on this site so you've got to be a little bit more diplomatic.

I hope you understand what I'm getting at..I really hope you don't think I'm not clever enough to have understood you.

Maybe you should come to Soultown Saturday (okay maybe not to dj...) but to try it out. You may even enjoy it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not clearly at all Winston. Read the emails again. I'm gobsmacked.

Andy

=========

Read your posts again, and you only mention 2 DJs by name. And as I have previously mentioned you debate nothing, you make sweeping statements re: Oldies/rarities etc.

You DO NOT address the points of pleasing the majority of people in attendance.

You DO NOT tell us who you are

You DO NOT tell us why you are spot-lighting Nige and Mark.

Your posts smack of attempted ridicule. Not just the DJs but the scene in general....almost as though you believe we have no minds of our own.

I suggest you re-read your own posts and look at how up your own arse you seem to be.

You grumble about the hostility of other posters and a closed shop....you've created this feeling by NOT being bold enough to identify yourself!

P.S. I'm curious....do we know each other?

I have heard Nigel Brown and I thought the set was the worst I have ever heard. Talk about bandwagon northern, bros of soul, Nino Tempo, Ronnie Bartel. Mark Bicknall comes a close second. No wonder those shows were late night on cable radio, very late night. I heard nothing new at all. So dont cry like big blubber babies lads, you put yourselves up as offering a service and mugs like me over the years have been short changed by too many pretenders, so dont cry wolf.

only my opinon though

Andy

link

good opinion andy

lets face it most of the dj,s at some point play a crap set.its life.

its all about personal choice in music so they will never please all of us at the same time.

i cant see his post as a personall attack on mr brown.

just an oppinion from one member and as its an open forum such opinions are valid.

mr brown was singled out as its relevant to this topic.

not sure where mr bicknell comes in to it though.

Think we should forget about him now don't you? He's obviously got no bollocks but wants to cover that up by pretending he's too clever for us all......

link

To be quite blunt about it, several people have asked for a real identity, and if someone is not prepared to give their real identity up when they want to slag someone off, as far as I'm concerned they are NOT entitled to an opinion.

End of story.

Well said Andy.

link

Luckily Oguzhan, Stefan & Dominik have booked some guys who know how to do good spots for the N¼rmberg-Weekender. :rolleyes:

See you and HEAR you there.

cheers, Martin

With regards to Mr Rimmer's last post about someones real identity, I agree.

I have said before I serve on a committee, if we receive any complaints and there is/are no names (willing to stand up and be counted) on any of them, then they are automatically disregarded.

How can you reply, when you don't know who's complained in the first place? :fool:

when I started reading this I thought it was a serious attempt to comment on records played by certain DJs and the fact that other records were more worthy of a play........,the facts that certain jocks were mentioned did not even make me think it was a ''dig'' more a case of someones opinion that should be discussed.

now after a few pints after work I see that there is more to this cos even though discussion has tried to meet this person halfway it is obvious that when he wants our opinion he will tell us what it is............

loads of records that should be played...YES !!!! but it takes time to come around and they all will have their day again ,it seems Andy cannot wait and wants these records now and at the expense of calling people who follow a pattern of music to satisfy customer and promoter..........seems to have worked alright for most places !!

remember ........anybody can be a twat ,it takes patience and thought to meet people halfway which is why we like to be part of this scene and part of this forum..... and Pete Smith ,I agree with you .,lets get it into perspective,look at what has just happened !!!...see you at the Ritz 26th Pete ??............give us a BIG smile :D:rolleyes: ( and maybe a kiss ) :wicked::rolleyes: cos I feel the same way as you.........there are more important things in life than to get wound up by somebody like this...

right off my horse now ( sorry Horse ).....does this make sense as I guess I am as wound up as most after this is now going nowhere and only causing arguements.

Oh and by the way I am a paying punter, and if I don't like something (R&B for example) I say it, but I am at the venue where it's being played, and I do say it to the DJ playing it. What I don't do is demand they play something I like, because I'm aware there are other people in the room.

Wimp, I demand they play what I like, hence most DJ's look slightly worried when I walk towards the decks :rolleyes: I would also like to add that it works, only time I have problems is when I go into the dreaded disco room and demand they stop playing that modern shite :rolleyes::wicked:

Back to the original topic, is anyone going to the Dome in January?

I don't think I will, because after listening to Janine's spot this coming Friday, every other DJ will be a letdown thereafter!  wacko.gif   :fool:

link

I can sympathise with you here, and to make life easier for you listening to the 'other' DJ's after my set please let me help you get rat arsed by buying you a drink (I have no idea who you are though so please come up and say hello) :rolleyes:

Wimp, I demand they play what I like, hence most DJ's look slightly worried when I walk towards the decks  :rolleyes:   I would also like to add that it works, only time I have problems is when I go into the dreaded disco room and demand they stop playing that modern shite  :rolleyes:   :wicked:

link

They all look worried because they haven't got any Tony Clark singles with them !!!