Zimmers Xmas Ball This Friday 10th Dec

Guest Johnny One Trout

Guest Johnny One Trout

Zimmers Christmas Ball

Friday the 10th Dec

The Somerset Arms Cheltenham

For an evening of the best in 60's & 70's why not come down to the Zimmer, all proceeds go to Charity

:thumbsup: Bit sketchy on the details as i lost the flier (Doh!!! :oo: ) but it runs from around 8:00 - 12:00 (I think :oo: ) and it's pretty cheap in £2 or £3 ish :thumbsup: :oo:

Jockular types for the evening are

Dave Greet

Phil Tailor

Paul O'Brian

Al Davison

and little old Trouty but you can call me John :thumbsup:

I shall warn you that i have been given Carte Blanche to play whatever i like so i'm really looking forward to this :D:D :thumb:

John

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I shall warn you that i have been given Blanche Carter to play so i'm really looking forward to this  :D   :D   :thumb:

John

link

Didn't she do that tacky 60's 'Halos Are For Angels' effort????

Pah, I'll go in the other room when you're on.......... blush.gifthumbsup.gif:D

Nephew Jamie

Edited by Jamie

Guest Johnny One Trout

At The Zimmer there is nowhere to hide thumbsup.gif if you thought that Soulsville was Compact and Bijou, Zimmer makes it look like an underground cellar bar!!!!!

Oh and btw i can guarantee that you will not hear BC during my spot young feller me lad, but you will hear some very nice recent pick ups that have me jigging the jiggy jig dance all around our dining room at the moment :D:Dblush.gif

Traaaaaarty

Edited by Johnny One Trout

Would love to hear your set, Uncle Trout, always very pleasing on the ear and on the feet.

But, kiddywinkies and pennies prevent me from seeing the 'Dancefloor Dynamo' in action.

Playlist afterwards please.

Jamastini.

Guest Johnny One Trout

Would love to hear your set, Uncle Trout, always very pleasing on the ear and on the feet.

But, kiddywinkies and pennies prevent me from seeing the 'Dancefloor Dynamo' in action.

Playlist afterwards please.

Jamastini.

link

I'm sure i can rustle something up playlist wise blush.gif how accurate it will be seeing as i'm not driving and it's just down the road is hard to guess but i shall do my bestest :D

I'm sure i can rustle something up playlist wise  :rolleyes: how accurate it will be seeing as i'm not driving and it's just down the road is hard to guess but i shall do my bestest  :rolleyes:

link

Don't worry John, I'll try to stay sober - but it's one of those small, social events where the jocks don't have to fill the dancefloor, there's room to gossip, and proper ale as well...

:wicked::D:D

Jerry.

Guest Johnny One Trout

I've been practicing all week Jerry but i'm still having trouble walking after 10:00 but hopefully by friday i will have built up a modicum of resiliance and can last til at least 10:30 :rolleyes:

Guest Johnny One Trout

Jerry just posted up some further info on how to get to the Zimm on another list so it would only be fair to put it up here as well...........

Just for the record, it's the Somerset Arms, Moorend Street, Leckhampton, Cheltenham - off the A46 Shurdington Road (Cheltenham to Stroud main road) about 1.5 miles south west of the town centre.

If you need more directions call 07811 291056 or 07776 464475 and we'll talk you in to a safe landing near the bar!

Trouty

Guest Johnny One Trout

Errm Bump :)

Here's a thought slightly off at a tangent i know but whilst i was rearrangeing the old box the other night i was giving a few spins to some maybe tunes (you know maybe i will maybe i won't give em a spin) and one of the real stand out tracks for me was an old favourite of mine from Black Ivory - Just leave me some - Today now i've always loved the record and i've had it for years having picked it up really cheaply literally for a couple of quid. The thing is i've never heard it played out anywhere (never even played it out myself) or even recall seeing it listed in sales, you tend to see quite a few tunes by the group listed in 70's lists all the time. So i guess the question is does any one else know it?

A brief description 70's Patrick Adams groups soul mid tempo number with a driving beat with tenor chorus and falsetto lead vocals with a hypnotic hook that really does stay with you - "just leave me some , some of your love, to remember you by, i made a mistake now i must wait whoa oa, leave me some......" sorry that was a bit out of key his voice is much higher than mine :D pretty sure i'm going to give it a twirl tonight, just curious as to whether any of you lot knew it or not?? :D

John

...and guess who was the only person whose spot I didn't catch in full? I know JOT kicked off with Deon Jackson "Love makes the world go round" on Black Atlantic and followed that with Dave Love "Baby hard times" but after that I got sidetracked talking in the other bar...thoroughly enjoyed myself, just friends playing choons and drinking. Dave Greet's spot was a connoisseurs heaven, providing the nights exercise as people (especially me) kept running to the decks to see what was what! Honorable mentions for Bill Brandon "Whatever I am I'm yours", sounding much better than I remember it, Honeybees Garrison demo, Bronzettes, and sod it one Dave showed me, totally unknown but the group name was just sooooo Northern, and I've forgotten it - blame Fullers brewery ranting_1.gif

Class spot of the night for me was Paul O'Briens - including Uptights "Shy guy", Z.Z. Hill "No more doggin'", Charades, Connie McGill and the Visions, Eddie and Ernie "Doggone it" and Dean Courtney "Love you just can't walk away". Great stuff!

I'm amazed I can remember so much at this time of day...

Jerry.

Guest Johnny One Trout

What a great night last night was, great music great company and superb draught cider what more could you ask for? ranting_1.gif One prominent Soul Talker was true to their word and duely turned up in a Rah Rah Skirt but enough about Hippo, the fact that Cookie turned up in a red leather cat suit proved to be the talking point of the night whistling.gif:shades: well you really didn't expect Kymberleeeee to wear a skirt did you wink.gif

The night was kicked off in style by Phil "The Mighty Black Power" Taylor with Al Davison and Paul O'Brian coming up trumps with great selections of under played oldies and decent unusuals (TM Chip Chippendale) next up and stepping up a gear was the legendary beer monster Dave Greet who did a great job considering that the decks started to play up half way through his set (so much so that from then on we couldn't cue up on one deck as we had to keep it on at all times or face the consequences of dead air space and unhappy dancer [note singular] reaction) Dave played some superb stuff right across the boards with standout tracks for me being Jesse Fisher - Honey and Joseph Webster - My love is so strong and a lovely LP track from the Players (Kym?) he wouldn't even let me look after his playbox later on even though i assured him that most of his tunes would be safe in my hands (just between me and you this was a downright lie i'd have been off like a shot :yes: Dave has some fantastic records and great taste for a Milwall fan :shades: )

Next up and for the final spot was the Troutster, well i had thought about what i was going to play, but as per usual all the best laid plans of mice and men go straight out of the window whenever i'm let loose in the vaccinity of the decks, i managed to stay to the script for the first 3 records and then it was downhill from then on. I really enjoyed the infliction of my taste on the Zimmers in attendance and want to thank all the person who enjoyed my set and to cap off a great night we even had a comedy drunkard to round the night off (he was pure class and he even did the old drunken backdrop through the patio doors routine......class)

here's what i played for those of you who aren't bored shitless by my diatribe and have managed to get this far...........................

Deon Jackson - Love makes the world go round - Atlantic (Cookie wanted me to play the other side but no amount of flagellation would sway my choice)

Dave Love - Baby Hard Times - Worlds (A Hippo and Trouty fave)

Harvey Averne Dozen - Central Park - Uptight

Stan Ivory and his Omnificent Orchestra - Come live with me - Tese

Masterpiece - Love Affair - YPSI

Rhythm Machine - Put a smile on time - Lulu

Oggletree Brothers - Gonna keep a check on you - Treetop

For Real Inc - The Man (Masterplan) - Flying Eagles How good is this record big thanks to Christian B for this one :yes:

The Caesars - I've got to know - Both Sides for Cookie

Powerhouse - You turn me on - Daystar

Wee - Try Me - Owl

Essex IV - My heart Just Can't Take It - Windmill

Sy Hightower - I know you're leaving me - Karmen

Benny Harper - My prayer - Harper Soul

3 Prophets - I think i really love you - Together for my gorgeous wifey wink.gif

Spartans - I don't need another lover - Era

Frankie Zhivago Young - Somebody stole my love - Ultra

Trouty

Edited by Johnny One Trout
Guest Johnny One Trout

For Real Inc - The Man (Masterplan) - Flying Eagles Just out of interest does anyone else know this??? Probably my favourite record of the moment maybe a little funky in places for some but i think it's fantastic :D

You should be able to see a scan and a soundfile here.........For Real Inc

Trouty